New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 31 2010, 02:17 PM   #91
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Re: long waits on Netflix

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I have a feeling a lot of those internet-less Americans are super old.
Yes because 40% of the country is super old.

It has to do with the fact that 25% of American live in poverty and many live in the middle of nowhere.
I'm not debating that, but there are still plenty of super old people who refuse to get computers, let alone the internet. I encounter them all the time. Nowhere did I say that all of the 40% were super old, just that a bunch of them probably are.

Here's a shocker -- there are a lot of people, who aren't old, who don't have cell phones or even televisions. And no, I'm not talking the Amish. And I won't comment further on your lack of life experience.

Anyway, the upcoming Post Office restructuring is going to impact Netflix:

Netflix is the big loser in Postal Service changes

Company faces hard choice if Saturday delivery service is eliminated

In the face of naysayers who have long predicted its demise, Netflix has had a remarkable few years. In 2005, the Los Gatos, Calif.-based DVD rental service boasted 4.2 million subscribers and enjoyed net earnings of $41.9 million. Last year, the company netted $115.9 million, and its bright red envelopes made their way into the homes of 12.3 million subscribers nationwide. The company's NASDAQ-listed stock price tripled in that period. 2010 is shaping up to be another stellar year. On Feb. 25 of this year, Netflix enjoyed a red-envelope day of sorts: It surpassed former industry leader Blockbuster in movie rental revenue for the first time. Meanwhile, as mom-and-pop rental stores close up shop and Blockbuster enters a period of major retrenchment (the Dallas-based company recently announced plans to close 500 stores), Netflix's subscriber base looks set to expand.
Netflix is in many ways the epitome of the 21st century company: It's based in Silicon Valley, it sells its services exclusively online, and it employs a hip bit of Web-speak in its name. But even as it boasts many of the trappings of a New Economy juggernaut, Netflix is still almost entirely reliant on that most 19th century of institutions: the United States Postal Service. Indeed, Netflix is the Postal Service’s biggest corporate customer.
More details in the article.

Last edited by John Picard; March 31 2010 at 02:47 PM.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 04:42 PM   #92
RoJoHen
Awesome

John Picard wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Yes because 40% of the country is super old.

It has to do with the fact that 25% of American live in poverty and many live in the middle of nowhere.
I'm not debating that, but there are still plenty of super old people who refuse to get computers, let alone the internet. I encounter them all the time. Nowhere did I say that all of the 40% were super old, just that a bunch of them probably are.

Here's a shocker -- there are a lot of people, who aren't old, who don't have cell phones or even televisions. And no, I'm not talking the Amish. And I won't comment further on your lack of life experience.

I am continually amazed at how seriously you take my posts.
Old March 31 2010, 04:56 PM   #93
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

If there's one thing I don't like about Netflix, it's that I can't categorize my Instant Queue. So when I want to watch something on my PS3, I have to scroll back and forth on the menu until I find it. "Queue" really doesn't even make sense for the Instant stuff, since you can watch any of it whenever you want.
What do you mean categorize? You can order the movies online, just like the DVD queue.
Old March 31 2010, 04:59 PM   #94
RoJoHen
Awesome

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
If there's one thing I don't like about Netflix, it's that I can't categorize my Instant Queue. So when I want to watch something on my PS3, I have to scroll back and forth on the menu until I find it. "Queue" really doesn't even make sense for the Instant stuff, since you can watch any of it whenever you want.
What do you mean categorize? You can order the movies online, just like the DVD queue.
I know you can order them, but I'd like to be able to group them into categories/genres, so that if I want to watch a SciFi movie, I can pull up my SciFi folder, or if I want to watch a Comedy, I can pull up my Comedy folder. Basically, I have a ton of shit on my Instant Queue, and I don't want to have to browse through all of it to figure out which movie I want to watch.
Old March 31 2010, 05:11 PM   #95
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I know you can order them, but I'd like to be able to group them into categories/genres, so that if I want to watch a SciFi movie, I can pull up my SciFi folder, or if I want to watch a Comedy, I can pull up my Comedy folder. Basically, I have a ton of shit on my Instant Queue, and I don't want to have to browse through all of it to figure out which movie I want to watch.

Oh, I see. That does make sense. Can you do that for the normal DVD queue? I've never looked.
Old March 31 2010, 05:12 PM   #96
RoJoHen
Awesome

Not that I know of.
Old March 31 2010, 10:04 PM   #97
SlyCardie
Commander

That would be very cool actually, that's gotta be a pretty easy fix. I'm surprised they haven't work it in yet.
SlyCardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 10:06 PM   #98
RoJoHen
Awesome

I know, it seems really easy! I want to tell someone at Netflix, but I can't figure out how.
Old April 1 2010, 02:20 AM   #99
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

There's not even a search function on the PS3. Very annoying.
Old April 1 2010, 06:53 PM   #100
RobertScorpio
Pariah

I know, it seems really easy! I want to tell someone at Netflix, but I can't figure out how.
on my 360 they do that already..so I'm not sure what you mean...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 07:51 PM   #101
RoJoHen
Awesome

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
on my 360 they do that already..so I'm not sure what you mean...

Rob
I don't know how the 360 Netflix works, but on my PS3, when I turn on Netflix, my entire queue shows up, and I have to scroll back and forth to find what I want. There are categories at the top of the page (like Comedy, SciFi, Drama, etc), but they just show me random movies from the Netflix library, not from my own personal queue.

I'd like to be able to create folders on the Netflix website to put my movies in, and then have those folders show up when I sign on with my PS3.
Old April 1 2010, 08:04 PM   #102
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Doesn't anyone just watch through an internet browser anymore? My computer is an integral part of my 5.1 home entertainment system.
Old April 1 2010, 08:05 PM   #103
RoJoHen
Awesome

I hate watching anything through a browser. I like to be able to use my computer for other things while watching stuff on my TV.
Old April 1 2010, 08:27 PM   #104
Smiley
Rear Admiral

I'm guessing that the expectation is that you either keep a small amount of movies in the instant queue, want to watch the oldest or newest movie added to the instant queue next, or will use the computer to bump something up to the top of the queue, even if you're actually watching on the TV screen.

I won't argue that being able to sort queues by different criteria wouldn't be useful, but it would make the experience a little less streamlined and simplified.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 08:37 PM   #105
RobertScorpio
Pariah

I hate watching anything through a browser. I like to be able to use my computer for other things while watching stuff on my TV.
Agreed. In my "play room" I have a TV screen next to my computer so I can watch "tv" (via netflix or Bluray) while on the computer. I mean, gee, how else would I have enough time to come up with some of these great BBS topics I spew out on a nearly constant basis???

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote