Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old May 27 2010, 09:04 PM   #1
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile
Diaspora Oratorio

Music fans who listen to the soundtracks...

Does anyone else think "Diaspora Oratorio" is going to keep breaking into the Star Trek Voyager theme tune?
Old May 27 2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Re: Diaspora Oratorio

Umm... no. "Diaspora Oratorio" is about a hundred times more beautiful than VOY's theme, and that's not an insult towards VOY's theme... I actually like it just fine. But Bear McCreary's work on BSG takes things to an entirely different level and never reminds me of anything related to Trek.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Old May 28 2010, 04:06 AM   #3
pst
Lieutenant Commander

yeah no. never heard voyager in that one.

can't help but hear ABC's old jingle from the late 90s in mccreary's "earth" theme though.

ABC jingle.

"earth" from "daybreak, part II".
Old May 28 2010, 05:00 AM   #4
ncc74302
Captain

Send a message via AIM to ncc74302 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ncc74302 Send a message via Yahoo to ncc74302

I made an odd face at first when you said that, but I just went back and analyzed it... the theme portion

Sol.... Do Ti Sol

sounds kind of like a portion of the Voyager theme.

(Sol Do (high) Do Ti Sol Sol La La Sol Sol Fa Faaaaa)

Okay

/music theory nerd
Old May 28 2010, 01:22 PM   #5
David cgc
Vice Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
Does anyone else think "Diaspora Oratorio" is going to keep breaking into the Star Trek Voyager theme tune?
Only to the same degree "Apocalypse" might slide into "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida."
Old May 28 2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Okay in the interests of a fair answer I had to go and listen to some Bear McCreary there. How gloomy. I can't imagine anyone listening to that if they were a bit depressed.
Old May 28 2010, 02:11 PM   #7
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Diaspora Oratorio is gloomy? That seems like a bit of an exaggeration. It sounds like old church music to me. Not exactly "Ode to Joy," but maybe an upbeat Gregorian number. Now, "Among the Ruins," that one is downright depressing. It sounds like an Ingmar Bergman film looks.
Old May 28 2010, 06:46 PM   #8
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

If anyone thinks Diaspora Oratorio is gloomy, then there likely to slit their wrists at any other track of his.

I for one could and in fact do listen to Bear's BSG soundtracks all the time. Amazing music. Can't say I heard Voyager in Diaspora Oratorio though. If anything it sounds similar to Dennis Mccarthy's Generations score.
Old May 28 2010, 10:13 PM   #9
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

No, never thought of VOY's theme when listening to DO, to be honest.

And I'll echo the sentiment that Bear has created some amazing music for the show. I still really adore listening to it, particularly the "Daybreak" disc from S4.
Old May 28 2010, 10:34 PM   #10
D Man
Commodore

ncc74302 wrote: View Post
I made an odd face at first when you said that, but I just went back and analyzed it... the theme portion

Sol.... Do Ti Sol

sounds kind of like a portion of the Voyager theme.

(Sol Do (high) Do Ti Sol Sol La La Sol Sol Fa Faaaaa)

Okay

/music theory nerd
Hey, good point. I hear it now, but the two pieces go to really different places after using a few similar intervals, so I wouldn't say it really sounds like DO ever feels like it's about to become Voyager's tune.
Old May 29 2010, 12:36 AM   #11
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

I'll just toss this question out here rather than create a new thread since it pertains to the music also. Just got done rewatching "Unfinished Business" and as far as I can tell, it seems that the track "Violence and Variations" doesn't actually get used in the episode? Or maybe I only heard a very small part of it at the end when Kara and Lee are embracing? Kind of find that ironic since it's my favorite track on the season 3 soundtrack, and quite possibly my second favorite BSG track overall, just behind "Prelude to War." Anyone able to elaborate on this?
Old May 29 2010, 02:25 AM   #12
pst
Lieutenant Commander

did you watch the extended version or the aired version? i think it's in one and not in the other, but i can't remember which...
Old May 29 2010, 03:19 AM   #13
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Ahah, that answers that question. I had watched the extended version. Just popped in the aired version (which I haven't watched since it, well, aired ) and sure enough it starts playing when Lee sees Kara and Anders walking hand in hand on New Caprica. Crying shame it's missing from the extended version. Such a beautiful piece.
Old May 29 2010, 05:23 AM   #14
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Okay in the interests of a fair answer I had to go and listen to some Bear McCreary there. How gloomy. I can't imagine anyone listening to that if they were a bit depressed.
Are you serious? Diaspora Oratorio is the most uplifting, joyful track in the entire series. This is the track that played the moment they found Earth, it was the most outright happy moment the show ever did.
Old May 29 2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Ahah, that answers that question. I had watched the extended version. Just popped in the aired version (which I haven't watched since it, well, aired ) and sure enough it starts playing when Lee sees Kara and Anders walking hand in hand on New Caprica. Crying shame it's missing from the extended version. Such a beautiful piece.
Agreed. I really love "Violence and Variations" and it drives me crazy that the version heard in the broadcast cut (and what appears on the soundtrack) was omitted from the extended cut. I understand that the score had to be re-done to account for the extra footage, but c'mon, surely Bear McCreary could have made it happen!
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore