Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 26 2010, 03:26 AM   #16
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Brad Bird considered for 'Mission: Impossible IV'

Brad Bird is one of the best animation directors in the world, and I think it's a real shame that he's turning his back on animation.
Old March 26 2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
I'd rather see the next Superman or Fantastic Four movie done in CG animation than live action anyway - and something stylized, not the kind of "performance capture" realism of Avatar. Byrd would be perfect for that.
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
^ By stylized do you mean something like Monster House?
Well, Timm said at some point that the original design of his Batman animated series was somewhat inspired by the old Fleischer cartoon series. For Superman I'd like to see them draw on old comic book and animation styes, poster art of the 30s and 40s and Deco design. It ought to be a period story - late thirties, early WW II. Except with, you know, cool aliens and giant robots.
That sounds wonderful. Kind of a Dave Stevens sort of thing.

Sorry, but NO-a universe of NO.

I don't want to see a CGI DC Comics movie done in the style of The Incredibles, ever (referring to Dennis's comment). That style worked for Brad Bird's characters and universe; it would be a disaster for any DC Comics characters to be drawn in it. The best style would be, and is Avatar's, followed by that of the direct to video animated Marvel superhero movies, the early '90s X-Men cartoon, X-Men: Evolution, Wolverine & The X-Men, Batman Begins,The Zeta Project, Reboot, Action Man, Max Steel, the DTV Barbie movies, Titan A.E. and Batman: Gotham Knight. Any other style, or any of the cartoony styles from Pixar, would be laughed off of the screen by test audiences, with fanboys & fangirls burning up the 'Net in anger at how crappy the characters look. I would suggest even further that they use the art styles from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, the Tekken games, and Final Fantasy itself as those styles are close to the actual comic book art used by DC editors and artists. Why the frack does everything have to be done in the stupid American cartoony style? Why not aim for a degree of realism, or something close to it? If this is the only style people can come up with, then it's best that superhero movies stay live action.

Edit: Sorry about that outburst, but I had to get that off of my chest. The Fleisher style from the 40's Superman cartoon would be acceptable.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Brad Bird is one of the best animation directors in the world, and I think it's a real shame that he's turning his back on animation.

Brad Bird is multi-talented, and can do other things than animation or
animated projects. Maybe he'll make a great Mission: Impossible movie.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; March 26 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2010, 03:35 PM   #18
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
The best style would be, and is Avatar's

There's no point at all in doing a superhero movie in a realistic animation style. Either use people in costumes or go cartoon.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2010, 05:17 PM   #19
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
The best style would be, and is Avatar's

There's no point at all in doing a superhero movie in a realistic animation style. Either use people in costumes or go cartoon.
Most comic books are done in a real style, so why can't animated movies (most manga-based anime is based on the style of the manga itself, for example) follow suit?
Old March 26 2010, 08:20 PM   #20
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Why can't he do both?

That's like saying that Dan Castanella is one of the best voiceover actors in the world and that when he acts in live-action movies, it's a shame that he's turning his back on animation. There's nothing to say Mr Bird won't do another animated movie after he does MI4 (if he does it).
Old March 27 2010, 04:25 AM   #21
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Why can't he do both?

That's like saying that Dan Castanella is one of the best voiceover actors in the world and that when he acts in live-action movies, it's a shame that he's turning his back on animation. There's nothing to say Mr Bird won't do another animated movie after he does MI4 (if he does it).
I'm not saying he can't do both, I just don't think that he wants to do The Incredibles anymore-which is what everybody wants to see.
Old March 27 2010, 09:20 AM   #22
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Why can't he do both?

Well, he can, but every time he's doing a live-action movie, that's time not spent on an animation movie.

Isaac Newton spent quite a lot of time researching alchemy. He was one of the most brilliant minds of the 17th-18th Century. Had he not wasted his time with that nonsense, who knows how much more he could have brought to the history of science?

Or, if you want other parallels, Michael Jordan/baseball, Elvis Presley/acting, Rimbaud/commerce.
Old March 27 2010, 08:56 PM   #23
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^It's all cinema to me. As long as Bird is making good movies, that's what important.

I think your argument is basically a reverse form of the argument that directors of animated movies can't do 'real' movies. I disagree with both positions.
Old March 27 2010, 10:32 PM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I think your argument is basically a reverse form of the argument that directors of animated movies can't do 'real' movies.
It's not. I'm sure Brad Bird can do good live-action movies. It's not a matter of what he can and can't do. I'm just saying that while he'll be directing Mission: Impossible IV or any other live-action film, the only thing we'll get is one more average-to-good director, while we'll lose one great-to-fantastic animation director. I think it's a shame.
Old March 28 2010, 12:57 AM   #25
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Who is to say he won't be a great-to-fantastic live action director?
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 02:18 AM   #26
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

I don't care who's doing it.

I have never seen an MI film after one viewing of the first one, where we were clearly in an alternate universe.

Mr. Phelps would NEVER go traitor. That was an abomination to the fanbase.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 08:12 AM   #27
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Who is to say he won't be a great-to-fantastic live action director?
Maybe he will.
Old March 29 2010, 01:04 PM   #28
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

AJBryant wrote: View Post
I don't care who's doing it.

I have never seen an MI film after one viewing of the first one, where we were clearly in an alternate universe.

Mr. Phelps would NEVER go traitor. That was an abomination to the fanbase.
I'm sorry to have to bust your bubble, but:

Some basement-dwelling fanboys simply cannot accept that Mission: Impossible is a business property whose owners decided to make changes in order to make it more profitable.

The fans purchase products made by Paramount, the owners; the fans do not own Mission: Impossible. Unfortunately, some fans refuse to understand this concept. That is why the altered characters of the Mission: Impossible movies are a problem for them. It is not a problem for the studio, they can do what they want. This time many, many fans and non-fans agreed with their decisions and spent approximately a quarter billion dollars on Paramount's product. That was enough profit to warrant more ventures by Paramount in the form of sequels.

As long as they continue to produce a profitable product, fans will have Mission: Impossible in its current form.
*A paraphrase of (and based on) this post about Star Trek by Sector 7
Old March 29 2010, 02:44 PM   #29
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

AJBryant wrote: View Post

Well, of course it was an alternate universe. It was a remake, not a sequel. By definition, remakes are set in alternate universes.
Old March 29 2010, 09:07 PM   #30
Aragorn
Admiral

If they had just had Cruise play Phelps, a lot of the fanboy anger could've been avoided. Tom Cruise as Phelps, Ving Rhames as Barney, maybe Jon Voight could've been Briggs instead.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote