Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 29 2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Joy
Commodore

Anyone watching Undercover Boss?

Just curious to know if anyone here has been watching Undercover Boss. Tonight's episode featured the company I hope to work for one day soon.

Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation (HFEC) runs my favorite theme park, Silver Dollar City. In tonight's episode of UB, the CEO, Joel Manby, worked at SDC, Ride the Ducks at Stone Mountain, an aquarium in Atlanta, and the Showboat Branson Belle.

I thought it was a wonderful episode, and one of the great things about it was the lack of "bad" employees, something that is usually present in one way or another in this show. It just reinforces why Herschend employees are considered the friendliest amusement workers!

One of the employees that Joel worked with was a guy named Albert, who works at Silver Dollar City. The best part of the whole episode, I think, was his "plotline". From him telling an undercover Joel that he wants to be CEO of HFEC to receiving a scholarship where he works during the summer, and then goes to college full-time in the fall/spring while earning the 40-hr/week pay he's been getting, without having to work.... It was a truly inspiring story.

And heck, if Albert takes Joel's job, then I can take his job; being a ticket-taker at SDC is my number one dream job. I want to be the first Citizen incoming guests meet. The one who gets to say, "You have a great past ahead of you!" (R)

All in all, a great episode, and I am just even more excited about trying to get a job at SDC come next year! (if I could be any more excited, that is!)
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Bloodwhiner
Commodore

Re: Anyone watching Undercover Boss?

I've been watching but it is starting to become tiresome. It is essentially the same every week.. boss just happens to work with employees who are all great but have some hidden tragedy or talent (along with one bad apple that will be reformed).

There has to be some serious backroom vetting going on to find these random employees.
Bloodwhiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Joy wrote: View Post
Just curious to know if anyone here has been watching Undercover Boss. Tonight's episode featured the company I hope to work for one day soon.

Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation (HFEC) runs my favorite theme park, Silver Dollar City. In tonight's episode of UB, the CEO, Joel Manby, worked at SDC, Ride the Ducks at Stone Mountain, an aquarium in Atlanta, and the Showboat Branson Belle.

I thought it was a wonderful episode, and one of the great things about it was the lack of "bad" employees, something that is usually present in one way or another in this show. It just reinforces why Herschend employees are considered the friendliest amusement workers!

One of the employees that Joel worked with was a guy named Albert, who works at Silver Dollar City. The best part of the whole episode, I think, was his "plotline". From him telling an undercover Joel that he wants to be CEO of HFEC to receiving a scholarship where he works during the summer, and then goes to college full-time in the fall/spring while earning the 40-hr/week pay he's been getting, without having to work.... It was a truly inspiring story.

And heck, if Albert takes Joel's job, then I can take his job; being a ticket-taker at SDC is my number one dream job. I want to be the first Citizen incoming guests meet. The one who gets to say, "You have a great past ahead of you!" (R)

All in all, a great episode, and I am just even more excited about trying to get a job at SDC come next year! (if I could be any more excited, that is!)
I watch the show every week it is great that some bosses will do that. I think if every CEO stepped down and went undercover every employee would do a better job because they would get more credit for the good job that do.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Aragorn
Admiral

I wonder how undercover the boss really is. So what if no one knows he's the CEO? There are a bunch of cameras following him around and people are knowingly doing some really stupid things while being filmed (like the Hooters guy making the girls eat like animals). The first episode looked like a PR video for Waste Management, so while heartwarming I was done after that. And it's pretty obvious the employees with the best "stories" are targeted by the show in advance.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I have been watching, though I haven't seen last night's episode yet. I don't really know why I'm still watching because it just seems so cheesy and fake. Some of the situations I can understand as being real, and it's obvious they cherry pick the employees with the most tragic pasts, but some things just make me roll my eyes. Like the whole bean eating incident at Hooters. The guy knew there were cameras right in his face, I don't believe for a second that any part of that situation was "real." I think the female employees were real and the "manager" was brought in as an actor. Many aspects of the situation make this obvious.

So I have a hard time really enjoying the show. At least when other reality shows fake things they do a much better job, and it is actually entertaining. In this case it just made me wonder why I'm watching this show at all.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Gotta agree with Aragorn. I watched the first episode, and it was pretty obvious that it's just corporate PR. Not that I really expected anything different. CEOs getting on TV and saying "look how humble we are, and how much we care about the little guy, I didn't understand before, but now I do!" It's actually pretty disgusting and patronizing when you get down to it.

That reality show about celebrities tracing their family tree is pretty horrible too. Yeah, off topic, but I felt like getting that off my chest without starting a thread about it