Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Koenig Joins Captain Pike Project
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Retro Review: Ex Post Facto
By: Michelle on May 22

Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 23 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Herbert
Captain

Vulcan polytheism

Has anything been written about the gods that the Vulcan's worshiped before the Time of Awakening?

The Stone of Gol in "Gambit" TNG contains pictographs of the Vulcan God of War, the Vulcan God of Death, and the Vulcan God of Peace.

The DVD text commentary of "Amok Time" states that DC Fontana named the Vulcan God of Death Shariel.

Has anything been written about the gods worshiped before the Time of Awakening and the names of these deities?

By extension, are the Romulans polytheists?
Herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 10:09 PM   #2
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Vulcan polytheism

the Romulans seem to believe in some kind of non deity elemental force simply referred to as 'Elements' from what I've read.

admittedly, i could be wrong.

but there's at least a couple of stories i've read where Romulans have 'blasphemed' by saying 'Elements!' where we might say 'Jesus!' or 'God!'
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

^The Romulan worship of Elements is from Diane Duane's Rihannsu novels, and its origin is detailed in The Romulan Way. It's not a continuation of Vulcan beliefs.

There's a line in "Yesteryear" where Spock, impersonating his cousin Selek in the past, says he's headed to the family shrine "to honor our gods." And in VGR: "Hunters," there's a reference to Tuvok's family asking the priests at the temple of Amonak to say prayers for his safe return. So it would seem that some religious belief exists on Vulcan in the present.
Old March 24 2010, 01:18 AM   #4
diankra
Commodore

In a very logical way. I'd speculate that the modern Vulcans don't believe that gods/ancestors have any influence on them, but equally they can't prove they don't. So it would be logical to spend a bit of time keeping the options open by performing the old rituals (IYSWIM).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2010, 01:44 AM   #5
Penta
Commander

Pascal's Wager with pointy ears? Hee, I like that idea.

"It would be logical to presume that there may happen to be an afterlife. In such an event, I am, as the humans would say, 'safe'. And if there is not, what is it but a few minutes per day?"
Penta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I do not see evidence that current Vulcans believe in any deities. The same for Romulans, because I do not remember any onscreen evidence, although I might be convinced that they may do so.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Herbert
Captain

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
I do not see evidence that current Vulcans believe in any deities. The same for Romulans, because I do not remember any onscreen evidence, although I might be convinced that they may do so.
Which is why I posed the question in Trek Literature. I was wondering if an author of Star Trek fiction built on backstage information such as the bust of Shariel in Spock's quarters or the Vulcan gods presented in TNG "Gambit".
Herbert is offline   Reply With Quote