Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 23 2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Flake
Commodore

New Big 3

It used to be Kirk, Spock and McCoy...

But in NuTrek I think Kurtzman/Orci/JJ & Paramount are going to push Uhura to the fore and have Kirk, Spock & Uhura as the NEW big 3.

Reason?

To try and bring more women/girls of all ages in to Trek. They will push Uhura to the fore and focus on the romance with Spock.

McCoy will be pushed to the sidelines. What a shame.

They tested the waters in Trek XI and now that they are comfortable with it they will go all out in the next one (or two).
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: New Big 3

Uhura just doesn't provide the right character balance though, especially since she's not at odds with Spock.

If anything, right now it seems Kirk/Spock focused, with an additional flavor of an ensemble cast, much like a lot of the Trek movies were.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I think there is a big two. McCoy and Uhura will be about equal as second tier characters. This was actually the same dynamic the show had originally with Kirk/Spock and McCoy/Rand.

They do need to introduce more female third tier characters though (hopefully including Rand and Chapel) otherwise the main female characters' principle purpose will be as love interests and I don't think it's right for that to be the case in 21st century sci fi.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I have no problem with Uhura's rise in status.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Flake
Commodore

Well I am not saying its a bad thing to make Uhura a lead character, what is unfortunate is that Karl Urban did a perfect job with his portrayal of McCoy. It was as if he was possessed by the spirit of Kelley!

The downside is that with McCoy being sidelined more than we would have thought we lose scenes & screentime with a great character and actor.

However I think Zoe Saldana is fantastic and I am sure we will get an excellent performance, subject to the script being decent of course...

They really did do a superb job with the casting.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I think that being writers, they are going to have a hard time resisting what is the most compelling element of the story they have set up. Writers always gravitate towards the greatest drama whether they want to or not.

That story is not Kirk's ascendancy to leadership - that's a rather generic story that's been told too many times to really be fresh - but Spock's spiral into emotional turmoil caused by the destuction of Vulcan, the near-extermination of the Vulcan race, and his attempt to maintain a romantic relationship with a human.

That propels Spock and Uhura to the most prominent part of the story. Add in the necessity of doing something with Kirk's ascendancy to leadership - hopefully something worth seeing - and you don't have much time left over for anything else in a two hour summer popcorn movie that's expected to be at least half action. (And once again, I find myself pining for Trek on TV, where characters and plotlines could have room to grow.)

Uhura just doesn't provide the right character balance though, especially since she's not at odds with Spock.
The reason for her prominence is because she is at odds with Spock. She's attempting to have a romantic relationship with an alien whose temperament and culture makes that nearly impossible. At least Spock has his parents' example to draw upon, but now he's been thrown for a nasty loop and who knows whether he'll ever recover? Even without that element, the relationship has an inherent tension to it that can never really be resolved for good, since it stems from who the characters are, and things they cannot change about themselves and wouldn't want to.

Really, it's Crichton & Aeryn all over again, with the human-alien gender flipped. And since Crichton & Aeryn is a rare example of an sf/f romance that was actually worth bothering with, that bodes well for Spock & Uhura.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Kirk, Spock and McCoy are, and will always be the big three.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Kane_Steel
Lieutenant Commander

Kirk Spock and McCoy ARE the big three, the seeds were planted for it in this film.

Spock and McCoy had the most interaction with Kirk and the closest bonds with him.

Uhura barely did anything in this film except being a love interest on the side to Spock.

She isn't front and center at all, thankfully.
Kane_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 12:43 AM   #9
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

Kane_Steel wrote: View Post
Kirk Spock and McCoy ARE the big three, the seeds were planted for it in this film.

Spock and McCoy had the most interaction with Kirk and the closest bonds with him.

Uhura barely did anything in this film except being a love interest on the side to Spock.

She isn't front and center at all, thankfully.
I think you should go back and look at the film again. . . .Uhura did as much in the film as McCoy did. . . and they serve the same purpose storywise: McCoy supports Kirk, and is against Spock while Uhura supports Spock and is against Kirk.

~FS
Old April 28 2010, 12:56 AM   #10
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Really, it's Crichton & Aeryn all over again, with the human-alien gender flipped. And since Crichton & Aeryn is a rare example of an sf/f romance that was actually worth bothering with, that bodes well for Spock & Uhura.
I hope you are right! I really hope so!
Old April 28 2010, 01:00 AM   #11
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
It used to be Kirk, Spock and McCoy...

But in NuTrek I think Kurtzman/Orci/JJ & Paramount are going to push Uhura to the fore and have Kirk, Spock & Uhura as the NEW big 3.

Reason?

To try and bring more women/girls of all ages in to Trek. They will push Uhura to the fore and focus on the romance with Spock.

McCoy will be pushed to the sidelines. What a shame.

They tested the waters in Trek XI and now that they are comfortable with it they will go all out in the next one (or two).

Er, and you know this because? I don't recall Abrams and Co. making any statements to this effect.

It's an interesting theory, but that's all it is.
Old April 28 2010, 01:17 AM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post

If anything, right now it seems Kirk/Spock focused, with an additional flavor of an ensemble cast, much like a lot of the Trek movies were.
Why would she have to take McCoys spot as Spock's "opposition"? She can be a lead character without doing that. Why not a Big Four?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2010, 05:17 PM   #13
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I think a Big Four is more likely in the JJverse than a Kirk/Spock/Uhura Big Three. Besides it would be cool to see McCoy rip into Spock and have Uhura step up and watch the two of them scratch each others eyes out.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote