Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 20 2010, 06:50 AM   #496
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Arpy wrote: View Post
...It's like saying a giant sand castle pummeled together by giant baby hands is superior to a house built brick by brick. Or that you don't need chemotherapy to cure cancer but natural nuts and berries.
Mmmm, yeah, it's a well known fact that best tastes are those artificially produced...
You don't work in a publicity department of a food corporation by any chance?
Nice that you didn't quote the next paragraph of my reply as it would have sunk this phony argument and saved time. But then I guess BB's aren't about talking with people so much as at them aren't they?

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Well, given that cancerous cells are getting taken care of by your body's immune system all the time, and that chemotherapy breaks down said system, it is highly possible that in many instances, natural nuts and berries just might work better...
Right and if you or anyone in your family ever gets any kind of cancer, I expect you to remember this thread and forgo any kind of professional Western medicine in favor of age-old Eastern tea recipes and berries.

Come on!
It's a metaphor, and I doubt/hope you don't buy your automatic cliched reply either.

...You guys are what the emoticon is all about.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 02:01 PM   #497
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

...It's like saying a giant sand castle pummeled together by giant baby hands is superior to a house built brick by brick. Or that you don't need chemotherapy to cure cancer but natural nuts and berries.
Mmmm, yeah, it's a well known fact that best tastes are those artificially produced...
You don't work in a publicity department of a food corporation by any chance?
Nice that you didn't quote the next paragraph of my reply as it would have sunk this phony argument and saved time.

Mmm, yeah, medical procedures and creating food tastes are so amazingly similar. Oh, I forgot, ridiculous comparisons and faulty logic take precedence over real experience.

I expect from you a full essay on how nature sucks and everything artificial is much better. We'll probably all be replacing our inferior natural limbs and organs with clearly superior artificial ones as soon as the technology becomes developed enough. Breasts today, everything tomorrow...

But then I guess BB's aren't about talking with people so much as at them aren't they?
You would know, wouldn't you?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 05:46 PM   #498
shadowedgalaxy
Lieutenant Commander

1. Generations is the best movie ever
2. Nemesis is the second best
3. TWOK, First Contact and XI are overrated
4. TFF is the best TOS movie
5. Enterprise is good
6. The E-E is so far the best starship design.
7. I'm split over the Federation/Cardassian/Maquis situation
8. Early TNG aliens are super cheesy
9. TUC is boring
10. I like Ezri, but I hate the fact that Jadzia was killed off.
shadowedgalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 06:28 PM   #499
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

shadowedgalaxy wrote: View Post
7. I'm split over the Federation/Cardassian/Maquis situation
8. Early TNG aliens are super cheesy
I don't think either of those opinions would be considered 'unpopular'. You're SUPPOSED to feel split about the Maquis/Federation/Cardassian situation, as all three had a legitimate position and reasons for their actions.

And I thought it was rather universally agreed that early TNG aliens were kind of lame... tried way too hard to replicate the feel of TOS aliens in an age where it's audience had come to expect better from the production department. And where the makeup or creature design failed, the written portrayal of aliens went way too far into the 'planet of hats' motif... focusing on one personality trait and writing the entire species around it. Granted, things didn't improve much later on, but you can tell they at least tried to introduce variation into teh characterizations later on... Look at the Ferengi in early TNG and at the end of DS9, for example.
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 06:45 PM   #500
Chrisisall
Commodore

Right and if you or anyone in your family ever gets any kind of cancer, I expect you to remember this thread and forgo any kind of professional Western medicine in favor of age-old Eastern tea recipes and berries.

Didn't say I wouldn't get surgery, just not the chemo.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 07:19 PM   #501
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

All the movies have their individual problems and the FX in Five sucked. But I did find big parts of the story in Five interesting. The part of the over all story that I felt was a let down was all through the movie it was over and over, we're looking for God, we're going to find God, we're going to find God. I thought at the end of the movie TPTB should have let Kirk, you know, find God. Maybe at a personal level somehow.

Kirk stated "I need my pain!," the end of the movie could have had a series of events that alleviated his need for a personal internal demon.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 11:53 PM   #502
Chrisisall
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
All the movies have their individual problems and the FX in Five sucked. But I did find big parts of the story in Five interesting.
If the FX were better & the finale was intact (it was truncated due to budget slashes) it wouldn't be a bad flick at all IMO.
Old May 20 2010, 11:55 PM   #503
Chrisisall
Commodore

Nebula Class wrote: View Post
Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Nebula Class wrote: View Post
^Dude, I'm from the USA. What led you to think I was a Brit? Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Cheers.
You clearly are not a Buffy fan.
Well, actually I'm not, but what led you to that?
In an episode of Buffy, Andrew referred to Giles as a Silly silly British man for being a bad D&D player. It was such a LOL moment, I use it a lot...
Old May 21 2010, 01:02 AM   #504
Warped9
Admiral

Unpopular opinion?

Star Trek (1966-69) is the only genuine Star Trek series, warts and all. Most anything else is a watered down interpretation with an occasional rare nugget worth noting.

ST09 is a stupid film and not worthy of its name.

Post Roddenberry Trek generally isn't worth a damn.

DS9 is a ripoff of Babylon 5.
Old May 21 2010, 01:48 AM   #505
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Or it's the other way around. I certainly felt that way the first time I saw Babylon 5 on VHS back in 2000.

But truthfully, I love both DS9 and B5 so much that I don't give a shit which copied the other, if either did. As far as I'm concerned, I have two space station based series to enjoy (now on DVD).
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 02:00 AM   #506
Warped9
Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Or it's the other way around. I certainly felt that way the first time I saw Babylon 5 on VHS back in 2000.

But truthfully, I love both DS9 and B5 so much that I don't give a shit which copied the other, if either did. As far as I'm concerned, I have two space station based series to enjoy (now on DVD).
B5 was already in development and being shopped before DS9 was an idea.
Old May 21 2010, 02:02 AM   #507
Chrisisall
Commodore

Unpopular opinion?

Star Trek (1966-69) is the only genuine Star Trek series, warts and all. Most anything else is a watered down interpretation with an occasional rare nugget worth noting.
Mostly agree. But the new FX on TOS make it even more amazing, even if it's just a quick 'surface polish.'

ST09 is a stupid film and not worthy of its name.
A case can definitely be made for that, yet I will enjoy it for what it is, which is not much when compared to STIV, admittedly (Dedicated Shat fan here).
Post Roddenberry Trek generally isn't worth a damn.
I'd say "worth a darn," but, whatever.

True.
Old May 21 2010, 02:52 AM   #508
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

RandyS wrote: View Post

B5 was already in development and being shopped before DS9 was an idea.
Yes, I've heard the story. I would be interested in Paramount (or Berman's) side of the story, but I don' think we've ever heard it.

Have we?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 05:35 AM   #509
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

DS9 and B5 are hardly the first sci-fi series set aboard space stations, so I don't see how either can be a ripoff of the other.
Old May 21 2010, 06:44 AM   #510
Arpy
Rear Admiral

We'll probably all be replacing our inferior natural limbs and organs with clearly superior artificial ones as soon as the technology becomes developed enough. Breasts today, everything tomorrow...
You said it. Why not? A body that looks and feels just like yours now but is immortal? YOU get sick and die after less than a century because it's natural.

Similarly, you stick to crappy replicated copies of food because your ideology says nothing new can ever be better than something old.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote