RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,723
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 745
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 16 2010, 06:55 AM   #451
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

ClayHefner wrote: View Post
- I don't particularly like Vic Fontaine
- STTMP is great
- "The Siege of AR-something" is a shit episode
- ENT's first season is the best
- Ezri was a waste of time
- Rom is an annoying clown
- ENT's Andorians were a failure
I'm chiming in to say that I agree with these.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2010, 03:06 PM   #452
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Though still quite enjoyable in it's own right, Deep Space Nine is a total rip off of Babylon 5.
Old May 16 2010, 03:23 PM   #453
Warped9
Admiral

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Though still quite enjoyable in it's own right, Deep Space Nine is a total rip off of Babylon 5.
Old May 16 2010, 05:39 PM   #454
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

How do you know it's not the other way around??

And yes, I already know JMS' side of the story, but it's interesting that I've never heard Rick Berman's.

Is it possible that by his silence, Berman was simply taking the high road?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 02:14 AM   #455
TrekAlliance92
Captain

- Voyager is my favorite Star Trek series.
- Deep Space Nine is my least favorite. (When I say this, I say a solid B- to Voyager's A+ or TOS's A)
- My favorite DS9 episodes are the "sci-fi" episodes of the first 3 seasons ("Move Along Home," "Babel," "Dramatis Personae," "Paradise," "Visionary" etc.)
- TNG Seasons 1 - 3 are better than 4 - 7.
- I thought the Enterprise finale was a great episode, and a fitting finale.
- "The Inner Light," "The Visitor," "Far Beyond the Stars" and "Family" are terribly boring, bland, and uninteresting episodes.
- I do actually enjoy the Ferengi episodes of DS9, including "Profit and Lace."
- "The Wrath of Khan" is a fine movie, but I hate the ending.
- "Insurrection" and "Nemesis" are great, enjoyable Star Trek movies.
- I have a great respect for all of the people behind Trek, including Rick Berman (my one BIG beef with him is dumbing down the music in Trek: TNG) and Brannon Braga.
- Voyager's "Relativity" is one of Top 20 Trek episodes, and would have been an awesome concept for a Series V. (Either that or a post-Voyager series with connections/plots/aliens from the DQ and GQ)
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 02:54 AM   #456
Harvey
Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
How do you know it's not the other way around??

And yes, I already know JMS' side of the story, but it's interesting that I've never heard Rick Berman's.

Is it possible that by his silence, Berman was simply taking the high road?
Likely, he just didn't care.

RHW wrote about the issue online, which I'm sure can be found somewhere. Let's just say that he rather disagreed with the proposition.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 02:59 AM   #457
Chrisisall
Commodore

TrekAlliance92 wrote: View Post
Not mine, but I can understand the sentiment!
Again, I can totally see where you are coming from.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 01:14 PM   #458
Python Trek
Commodore

View Python Trek's Twitter Profile

I haven't enjoyed a Trek film since number four.
Old May 17 2010, 02:28 PM   #459
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

- Deep Space Nine is my least favorite. (When I say this, I say a solid B- to Voyager's A+ or TOS's A)
- My favorite DS9 episodes are the "sci-fi" episodes of the first 3 seasons ("Move Along Home," "Babel," "Dramatis Personae," "Paradise," "Visionary" etc.)
- "The Inner Light," "The Visitor," "Far Beyond the Stars" and "Family" are terribly boring, bland, and uninteresting episodes.
- I have a great respect for all of the people behind Trek, including Rick Berman (my one BIG beef with him is dumbing down the music in Trek: TNG) and Brannon Braga.
- Voyager's "Relativity" is one of Top 20 Trek episodes, and would have been an awesome concept for a Series V. (Either that or a post-Voyager series with connections/plots/aliens from the DQ and GQ)
I would love to know a little more about why you prefer seasons 1-3 of TNG to 4-7. I'm not trying to be a smartass, start an argument or whatever. That's just not an opinion I've run into very many times.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 03:02 PM   #460
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
I would love to know a little more about why you prefer seasons 1-3 of TNG to 4-7. I'm not trying to be a smartass, start an argument or whatever. That's just not an opinion I've run into very many times.
I actually prefer The Next Generation seasons 1 and 2 versus what came later.

The feel of the show definitely changed when Maurice Hurley left and Micheal Piller came aboard. It almost felt as if the show started buying into its own hype and started taking itself way too seriously. It was no longer fun to watch.

I'd rather watch Lonely Among Us, Justice, Skin of Evil, Where Silence Has Lease or Contagion versus anything that was produced later.
Old May 17 2010, 04:42 PM   #461
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Finally, a list where I completely and vehemently disagree with each one of the opinions.

(Well, apart from TWOK being a fine movie)

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 12:20 AM   #462
Renvar
Lieutenant Commander

- I never had that much of a problem with Wesley Crusher.
- I don't believe the Borg are inherently evil.
- I have disliked Data ever since he installed his emotion chip, even though I agree that it's a good character advancement.
- Enterprise was a good series, from first episode to last.
Old May 18 2010, 12:29 AM   #463
Chrisisall
Commodore

Renvar wrote: View Post
- I never had that much of a problem with Wesley Crusher.
Epic agree.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 02:22 PM   #464
Danny99
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I actually prefer The Next Generation seasons 1 and 2 versus what came later.

The feel of the show definitely changed when Maurice Hurley left and Micheal Piller came aboard. It almost felt as if the show started buying into its own hype and started taking itself way too seriously. It was no longer fun to watch.

I'd rather watch Lonely Among Us, Justice, Skin of Evil, Where Silence Has Lease or Contagion versus anything that was produced later.
I agree with that. Early TNG seemed to have more danger to it, more exploration. Later TNG did have some good episodes, but it seemed like a pleasure cruise with Enterprise-D never in any real danger.
Old May 18 2010, 03:00 PM   #465
TrekAlliance92
Captain

For several different reasons. I enjoy more episodes per seasons 1 - 3 than the others. The reasons behind those include:

- Superior music (Got to love Ron Jones)
- More sense of exploration
- More sci-fi plots. In other words, I felt after Season 4, there were too many "character" focused episodes like "The Inner Light," "Liasons," "Eye of the Beholder, " etc. There were still some gems like "Parallels," "Devil's Due," and "Timescape" though.
- Preferred the older style uniforms
- Less action in 4 - 7. And, NO saucer separation.
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote