A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 5 2010, 03:39 PM   #331
flandry84
Captain

Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Firstly,there is a difference between Riker's killing of Yuta and Worf's killing of Duras(although granted, the Riker sequence was incredibly badly thought out).One action was to stop a murder the other was hot-blooded revenge.Even disregarding a Starfleet code of conduct the "Klingon ship/Klingon rules"argument is pretty weak.Could Bashir murder somebody on Bajor and claim "Bajoran territory/Bajoran rules?
Secondly,Worf is a Starfleet officer,presumably Starfleet have already demanded and received gentic samples from him on admission to the academy.Where is the difference?

The clone thing,well I was as disgusted as anyone on that one.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 04:01 PM   #332
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Some of my unpopular opinions are things I think of as "okay" that other fans praise as "best ever". For example:

* "In the Pale Moonlight" and "Duet" are overrated. Especially "Duet", in which Kira is grating as hell the whole time and the guest star completely carries the episode on his own.

* "His Way" is underrated and better than both of those episodes, even though it's light. In general, some of the lighter DS9 episodes are much better than some of the most praised darker and more serious ones. Darker and more serious does not equal better quality. "Trials and Tribble-Ations", "You Are Cordially Invited...", and "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" are also among the best.

* Garak (and the performance of the actor playing him) is overrated. He has some great moments, but much of the time, the way he talks and his attitude are a pain in the ass.

Many of my unpopular opinions are things I really love or hate that others feel the opposite about...

* "Amok Time" is one of the worst episodes of "Star Trek". The performances and characters of all the Vulcans on the planet are terrible. The fight is embarrassingly lame. The fight choreography and overuse of the fight music are laughable, Nimoy's acting on the planet is goofy, and the set of Vulcan looks garish, dull, and stupid. I'm glad it lead to some truly entertaining pop culture parodies, but the source material stinks. The only good part is the scene with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy on the ship at the end. That scene is wonderful and almost saves the episode but can't entirely because it's been so bad up to that point.

* Jadzia is the best-looking person on DS9 and the most endearing character.

* The Circle Trilogy and all other episodes focused on the Bajoran religion and/or The Prophets suck.

* "Turnabout Intruder" is one of the best episodes of "Star Trek" Season 3 and a totally respectable series finale...definitely better than the series finales of "Voyager" and "Enterprise".

* "Voyager" sucks as a series and should never have been made. All of the characters are boring. Kate Mulgrew is hot and it's charming that Tuvok sounds like Spock, but that doesn't make them good characters. I think the rest of the characters have no redeeming qualities (although I've never seen Kes).

* The Q episodes are the only good episodes of "Voyager".

* Seven of Nine is not attractive at all.

* "Star Trek: First Contact" is the best of all the Star Trek movies, including those based on the original series.

* "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" is a boring movie, with only three good parts - the hijacking of the Enterprise, the destruction of the Enterprise, and Spock in the very last scene.

* Sisko's nervous breakdown towards the end of "Far Beyond the Stars" and his monologue on DS9 shortly after are the absolute worst performances of Avery Brooks on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". I don't care if people who have seen a real nervous breakdown find it 'authentic', it still comes across as horribly fake and corny.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 04:24 PM   #333
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The original Star Trek has aged much more gracefully than The Next Generation.
Old April 5 2010, 04:37 PM   #334
Vonstadt
Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Vonstadt wrote: View Post
I was never annoyed by the Doctor (EMH) in Voyager and often found him to be the best thing in the show
I thought the Doc being the best thing on Voyager was a given?
I actually thought so too, but some fans I've run into recently seem to think he was lame or annoying. I always thought he was funny, witty and eventually really well devolped.

I love the episode where he and the new EMH have to defend the Prometheus from a Romulan boarding and eventually save the ship. Even Andy Dick wasn't too annoying in that episode as EMH Mk. II.

Its among my favorite VOY episodes and I am not a fan of VOY.

Vons
Old April 5 2010, 06:23 PM   #335
Zameaze
Commodore

xortex wrote: View Post
Picard was a lifeless dullard
Let me have a cup of Earl Grey, hot, and think about that...nope, he was my favorite captain.

xortex wrote:
Janeway should have been shot for the mistake she made stranding the crew there.
For that...for murdering Tuvix...for making a pact with the Borg.... Do we have sufficient bullets?

xortex wrote:
TWOK is boring
Yeah, kind of.

xortex wrote:
Voyager had many good stories
Agreed: many good ones and many bad ones.

xortex wrote:
Q should have been treated better and studied.
I don't know. Still, the crew didn't seem to make much of an effort.

xortex wrote:
T'Pol was boring
Now you've gone too far. Don't mess with the eye candy
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 07:17 PM   #336
Joeman
Captain

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
Kate Mulgrew is hot
I've seen a few people say this. I just can't wrap my brain around it, at all.

This is definitely an unpopular opinion, and I agree with it to a point. She certainly has an attractive body crammed into that tight suit, but her face trips me out. There's something disturbing going on up there.

Having made those comments, I have to admit that both of them are still way out of my league. It's a bit funny that I'm criticizing how they look.
Old April 5 2010, 08:27 PM   #337
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to RyanKCR

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Tiberius wrote: View Post
flandry84 wrote: View Post
Would Riker have gotten away with beaming over to a Klingon ship and killing a guy with a sword,no matter the provocation?
If I recall correctly, he got away with beaming aboard an Acamarian ship and murdering one of the Sovereign's staff in front of her.
Riker also "got away with" beaming down to a planet and killing his clone in cold blood. At least Worf's opponent had a fighting chance to defend himself, Riker killed a unconscious victim.

How's this for a "Unpopular Trek Opinion," Riker's decision to kill the Riker clone was the most morally indefensible action on Riker's part in the entire lifetime of the character. On Dr. Pulaski's part too. The two clones (and the tanks they were in) could have been taken to the Enterprise and been allowed to mature and live.

No, the DNA of Riker and Pulaski shouldn't have been taken, this in it self was morally wrong. But that wasn't the "fault" of the the two clones, they were alive and their deaths were both unnecessary and unconscionable.
The clone thing was a statement on the abortion issue: "It's my body and I can do with it what I want."
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 11:37 PM   #338
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Joeman wrote: View Post

This is definitely an unpopular opinion, and I agree with it to a point. She certainly has an attractive body crammed into that tight suit, but her face trips me out. There's something disturbing going on up there.
Another unpopular opinion: I would have preferred to see decent writing save the series instead of shoving Jeri Ryan into a catsuit.
Old April 5 2010, 11:54 PM   #339
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Well, I am no fan of Voyager, but I think she did okay...and the catsuit, at times, was the only reason worth watching...but yes, the writing on that show was, well, hit and miss, being polite here of course..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 03:34 AM   #340
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Another of mine is that Berman and Braga are misblamed for a lot of stuff in the latter years of the shows and not enough blame goes to the nameless UPN execs who were interfering with VOY and ENT from the start.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 05:47 AM   #341
Holder
Lieutenant

1. I thought the theme song to enterprise was perfect for the setting and essence of the show. Even though I do not care for that form of music...I still liked it in this setting.

2. I liked Enterprise and do not feel it violated cannon anymore than any other previous star trek, including TOS.

3. I liked Voyager. I thought many of the episodes were very imaginative. Voyager took risks and in my opinion it usually paid off.

4. For years, Star Trek V was my favorite. I felt it captured the Kirk, Spock, Bones relationship the best. It never bothered me that Spock had a half brother. A lot of peeps I know do not know I have a half brother and half sister 3 states away...that I have only seen twice in my whole life....I am 35.

5. Star Trek IV is one of my least fav movies. Although I do REALLY like to say "Double dumb ass on you!"

6. Picard is not out of character in the next gen movies.

Some of these have been said, but that does not make them any less true for me.
Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 06:15 AM   #342
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

flandry84 wrote: View Post
Firstly,there is a difference between Riker's killing of Yuta and Worf's killing of Duras(although granted, the Riker sequence was incredibly badly thought out).One action was to stop a murder the other was hot-blooded revenge.Even disregarding a Starfleet code of conduct the "Klingon ship/Klingon rules"argument is pretty weak.Could Bashir murder somebody on Bajor and claim "Bajoran territory/Bajoran rules?
No, because Bashir isn't Bajoran. Kira, on the other hand, is. So if she did that, she could have a case. That's why Worf got away with killing Duras. It was on a Klingon ship, carried out under Klingon law and tradition, and both parties were Klingons. Therefore Starfleet has absolutely no jurisdiction in that matter. I'm not sure Picard even had the right to reprimand Worf.
Old April 6 2010, 06:25 AM   #343
FredH
Captain

I think Joe Haldeman's Trek novel Planet of Judgment is a much stronger book than his signature sf novel The Forever War.
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 05:44 PM   #344
Zameaze
Commodore

I have a truly unpopular opinion--at the end of the Voyager series, I wanted Seven and Kim to end up together. Seven and almost anybody would have been better than Seven and Chakotay. She could have done so much better.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 07:20 PM   #345
flandry84
Captain

That's why Worf got away with killing Duras. It was on a Klingon ship, carried out under Klingon law and tradition, and both parties were Klingons. Therefore Starfleet has absolutely no jurisdiction in that matter. I'm not sure Picard even had the right to reprimand Worf.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get stuck on this so these are my final points.
Worf left his post and while wearing a Starfleet uniform transported across to a Klingon vessel where he challenged a Klingon national to a duel and subsequently killed him.If Picard had no problem with this why did he dispatch Riker and some goldshirts to stop it?
And if as you say the Klingons didn't see anything wrong either,well,the Klingons aren't exactly where I would be drawing moral guidance from.
Please let's leave it there,my original opinion hasn't changed.I still despise Worf.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote