RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 844
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 4 2010, 02:00 PM   #316
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
And it wasn't anything as bad as the casting of that guy who played adult Wesley in a that TNG episode (was it Deja Q?).
It was Hide and Q and it was hilarious!
Old April 4 2010, 02:30 PM   #317
Vonstadt
Captain

Oh Boy a bit late to the party but here are mine.

1 - I actually liked a lot about Nemesis (exp - Loved the look of the Argo and its idea, loved the refit of the E (29 decks), Actual changes to our hero characters (Riker/Troi wedding, Data dying). Despite the plotholes I tend to watch it occasionally but find this is NOT a popular belief.

2 - Loved TOS's Way to Eden (Slap my back and jump for joy I got a clean bill of health from Dr. McCoy!...all from the guy who would go on to play hard case bad guys like the man who stranded Rambo in Rambo II)

3 - Didnt Like the Ezri Dax character from DS9, I prefered Jadzia

4 - Actually liked Klaa from Star Trek V

5 - Prefer DS9 over TNG (around my crowd of friends this is blasphemy)

6 - Wasn't really 'charmed' by Star Trek IV I prefer III over it.

7 - I was never annoyed by the Doctor (EMH) in Voyager and often found him to be the best thing in the show.

8 - Actually liked 'Miri' (Bonk Bonk on the Head...lol a classic)

Well those are mine.

Vons
Old April 4 2010, 03:14 PM   #318
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

I like how the two most common unpopular opinions seem to be "I like Ezri better than Jadzia" and "I like Jadzia better than Ezri"
Old April 4 2010, 08:57 PM   #319
threeb
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Vonstadt wrote: View Post

7 - I was never annoyed by the Doctor (EMH) in Voyager and often found him to be the best thing in the show.
I agree. The Doctor turned out to be the most well developed character on Voyager.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2010, 09:19 PM   #320
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Spock said neither Human nor Romulan nor ally had ever seen the other. No mention of Breen
I mentioned the Breen because they're a mysterious race. From Spocks statement it would seem that the race or races that were the allies with Earth in the Romulan War were not the same races who formed the early Federation with Earth, we've seen them. Two entirely different groups.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2010, 11:12 PM   #321
flandry84
Captain

I despise Worf.
IMO the guy is a murderer twice over and has no place in Starfleet.
Would Riker have gotten away with beaming over to a Klingon ship and killing a guy with a sword,no matter the provocation?
Would Sisko or O'Brien get away with that whole blood transfusion fiasco?
And please,that "alien culture/outlook" argument is the most morally bankrupt horse hockey I've ever heard.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2010, 11:36 PM   #322
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

flandry84 wrote: View Post
I despise Worf.
IMO the guy is a murderer twice over and has no place in Starfleet.
Would Riker have gotten away with beaming over to a Klingon ship and killing a guy with a sword,no matter the provocation?
Would Sisko or O'Brien get away with that whole blood transfusion fiasco?
And please,that "alien culture/outlook" argument is the most morally bankrupt horse hockey I've ever heard.
1. He was a subject of the Klingon Empire, killing a Klingon on a Klingon ship according to Klingon laws.
Worf obviously can't go around killing other people who aren't Klingons and don't accept Klingon rules and traditions, but that doesn't apply to another Klingon who does accept them.

What do you think humans should do, try to force their own morality on the rest of the universe?

Even though Worf is also - I presume - Federation citizen, his action is not a crime by Klingon laws, so I don't see how or why he would be prosecuted in a Federation court.

Now, Worf is also a Starleet officer, so they could throw him out, sending a message that a Starfleet member from a non-Federation world must only respect Federation laws, but obviously they didn't think that Starfleet should adopt this attitude.

2. I don't think that Starfleet has any right to force ANYONE to give their blood against their will. Having the right to make decisions about one's own body is a basic human right, which I presume still exists in Earth at least, if not in Federation at large. Nobody could or should have the right to force O'Brien or Sisko to give their blood against their will. I'm pretty sure that would be illegal in most countries today.

I'm not the biggest fan of Worf, BTW, but that's because he can be so annoying with his talk about Honor. But the two stories above were among his most interesting moments, which made him an interesting on TNG because he wasn't as bland, perfectly nice and PC as the rest of them.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 01:14 AM   #323
xortex
Commodore

Man, people have alot to say on this subject and I agree with most all of it.
Picard was a lifeless dullard
Janeway should have been shot for the mistake she made stranding the crew there.
TWOK is boring
Voyager had many good stories
Q should have been treated better and studied.
T'Pol was boring
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 01:32 AM   #324
Tiberius
Commodore

If I recall correctly, he got away with beaming aboard an Acamarian ship and murdering one of the Sovereign's staff in front of her.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 01:34 AM   #325
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Vonstadt wrote: View Post
I was never annoyed by the Doctor (EMH) in Voyager and often found him to be the best thing in the show
I thought the Doc being the best thing on Voyager was a given?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 02:58 AM   #326
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

1) Enterprise was a good show

2) ENT had better continuty with TOS than TOS had with TOS.

3) The first two seasons of ENT are better than people give them credit for and more like TOS.

4) TNG had maybe three good seasons

5) DS9 is a good show but not a good Star Trek show

6) Alternative Factor is worse than Way To Eden and Spock's Brain combined.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 03:02 AM   #327
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

This thread is a good thread, but it is not a good Trek BBS thread.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 03:06 AM   #328
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

DS9 got better when they added a ship.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 03:46 AM   #329
Finn
Vice Admiral

^not exacty unpopular opinion. Many feel it started to get better around the time the Defiant showed up, regardless of whether it had anything to do with the ship or not.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2010, 08:38 AM   #330
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
If I recall correctly, he got away with beaming aboard an Acamarian ship and murdering one of the Sovereign's staff in front of her.
Riker also "got away with" beaming down to a planet and killing his clone in cold blood. At least Worf's opponent had a fighting chance to defend himself, Riker killed a unconscious victim.

How's this for a "Unpopular Trek Opinion," Riker's decision to kill the Riker clone was the most morally indefensible action on Riker's part in the entire lifetime of the character. On Dr. Pulaski's part too. The two clones (and the tanks they were in) could have been taken to the Enterprise and been allowed to mature and live.

No, the DNA of Riker and Pulaski shouldn't have been taken, this in it self was morally wrong. But that wasn't the "fault" of the the two clones, they were alive and their deaths were both unnecessary and unconscionable.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote