RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,600
Posts: 5,424,558
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 457
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 28 2010, 10:34 AM   #211
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Between the candle and the star
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Vash? No way! Picard and Nella Daren is the One True Pairing!
__________________
"I hate purity, I hate goodness! I don't want any virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone to be corrupt to the bones." - Winston Smith
Pemmer Harge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 10:45 AM   #212
ITL
Vice Admiral
 
ITL's Avatar
 
Location: Palace Of The Brine
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

I love Spock's Brain. Watched it yesterday, in fact. It is utterly ridiculous in every way, and therefore it cheers me up and makes me smile.

A civilisation of dimwits who use a machine to gain the knowledge required to remove a brain that will be used to control the workings of said civilisation? Awesome. Awesome on toast.

__________________
"Closed this morning as Ravenscroft, the bakery's dog, sprained his mouth whistling round a corner."
- Tockleys Bakery
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 12:56 PM   #213
Cheapjack
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Star Trek Four was a the best of the films, despite the fact we never saw anyone's head explode.
Cheapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 02:05 PM   #214
Fenric
Lieutenant
 
Fenric's Avatar
 
Location: London
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

- I dislike Spock and Vulcans in general
- I cant stand star trek IV i think its the worst of all the films
- I think Enterprise is better than Voyager
- I prefer Ezri Dax to Jadzia
- I think Jellico was a good Captain and disliked the way the tng crew treated him
- The Federation needs section 31
- City on the Edge of Forever is hideously overrated
Fenric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 02:45 PM   #215
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore
 
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

The last few times I watched them, I enjoyed TMP more than TWOK (the Director's Cut of TMP anyway)!!!
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 07:27 PM   #216
The Badger
Fleet Captain
 
The Badger's Avatar
 
Location: Im in ur Tardis, violating ur canon.
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
there's nothing wrong with women in catsuits
I'm with you all the way on this one!

T'Girl wrote: View Post
TWOK. Instead of talking in the turbo-lift, Kirk and Saavik should have had their little talk in a shower while having sex. (Maybe with some bondage.)
Indeed. In fact the number of bondage scenes through out all series and movies should have been significantly higher. One or two per episode perhaps.


Let's see. I prefer the Ent E to the D (an unpopular opinion on this forum). I LOVED the Abrams movie, though I recognize its flaws. Nemesis wasn't as bad as it's reputation.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 07:37 PM   #217
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

I have a question regarding Star Trek 2009. Is it now ok to hate the film now that it's been out for almost a year? I ask because I saw the movie twice in the theater and enjoyed it both times, even though I will say the whole Lens Flare thing gave me a bit of a headache. Now it seems popular to hate the film and I'm just wondering when the shift between "Awesome movie" to "Ah, maybe it's not as good and almost near Final Frontier levels" happened.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 07:46 PM   #218
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Finn wrote: View Post
Zameaze wrote: View Post
Janeway was the worst captain ever.

For example, in the episode Prime Factors, the Voyager crew was on a planet which had a technology which could possibly enable Voyager to get home more quickly. The planet authorities refused to share it under any conditions. However, some of the locals were willing to make a black market trade. Janeway decides not to make the trade. Her entire command staff secretly mutinied and conspired to make the deal and install the new tech on Voyager without Janeway's knowledge. In the end Janeway didn't punish anyone for disobeying her orders because everyone was guilty. She just let them know how disappointed she was with their behavior.

So she makes a bad decision, she can't enforce her orders, and then she can't even regain her authority by punishing offenders. Pitiful.
Wasn't Tuvok demoted in that episode???
Yes. Though that's not much of a slap on the wrist for leading a mutiny. Later, he was promoted to Lieutenant Commander.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 08:01 PM   #219
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I have a question regarding Star Trek 2009. Is it now ok to hate the film now that it's been out for almost a year? I ask because I saw the movie twice in the theater and enjoyed it both times, even though I will say the whole Lens Flare thing gave me a bit of a headache. Now it seems popular to hate the film and I'm just wondering when the shift between "Awesome movie" to "Ah, maybe it's not as good and almost near Final Frontier levels" happened.
This movie falls in the middle of the pack for me.

The holes in the story weren't glaring, but they did bug me. The whole jittery camera shots, that are becoming more and more common, drive me up the wall.

However, I don't think it's as bad as TFF.
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 08:35 PM   #220
USS Renegade
Lieutenant Commander
 
USS Renegade's Avatar
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Send a message via Yahoo to USS Renegade
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
25. The porn industry shouldn't be allowed to tarnish the image of Star Trek.
Blasphemy!


Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
6. Berman and Brannon are to be blamed for ENT, and Trek's downfall.

Yes, they had limitations; but, isn't that what a true writer/producer goes through? Trying to make art with the limitations you have? (Ex: Rod Serling...J. M. Straczynski...and many other examples).

Creative blow-out. Bullshit...

Surround yourselves with new blood; give the show new life...expand on characters that have been neglected. Think outside the fuckin' box.
Fo shizzle!


Lor'Vela wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
I like Voyager. I think that's a minority opinion.
^ It might be if you claim it as your favourite Trek series.
As odd as it sounds, of the first four series I consider Voyager the worst, while at the same time, it is still my favorite.


AMG wrote: View Post
Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
And More...

15. Star Trek 4, the one with the whales, was a light hearted fun little film and is better than all of the TNG movies put together.
I agree. So does my mom. That's three of us, at least.
Count me in on that too. I love ST:IV.


DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Would you start reading a novel from the middle?

DS9 should only be watched from the start...

So many of the greatest DS9 episodes are from the first 3 seasons. When I see someone saying that the show doesn't get "good" until season 3, 4 or even 5, and that you should just watch the war, I find it really mind-boggling.
Well, I couldn't get into DS9's early episodes at first either. Then I started getting into it around the end of the 3rd season, and that made wating the first ones enjoyable.

It's like how I read Rice's Vampire Trilogy out o order. I started with Vampire Lestat, then read Queen of the Damned, and THEN I read Interview with the Vampire. Queen and Lestat were great, in my opinion. I enjoyed the hell out of them. As backstory to established characters, Interview was good and I enjoyed it. Had I started with it, I would never have bothered reading the next two and would have missed out.

Find it mind boggling all you want, but the point is, if some people are ALREADY not getting into the beginning of DS9, get them to start where it gets extra gripping and they get into the characters, and then they can enjoy the whole series.

Telling people to force themselves to watch something they are not enjoying just isn't going to work, ya know? Bring em in to the Niner fold however you can.


DevilEyes wrote: View Post
One of the greatest things about DS9 is following the characters and their development from season 1 to season 7. It's not like TOS where you can just pick any episode out of order and watch it.
Not if you don't like the early seasons. If I had to have watched DS9 your way, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I would just be saying "Yeah, I didn't like DS9, didn't really watch it." the way I do with Enterprise discussions. For some, the early seasons of DS9 are only good as a prequel.

Now, if I had today's options then, I would have watched it from the beginning to end. I would have had the DVDs to watch at my leisure. But when it was on the air, the early seasons were not good enough to keep me home whatever night it came on to watch it. The later seasons, on the other hand, were. But even that is because I am ALREADY a Trek junkie.


Diddle wrote: View Post
I think Barclay is much more interesting than more than a half of the TNG's main cast.

I find Worf 80% of the time just comic relief and the other 20% he's either being way too awesome, or way too annoying.
I totally agree on Barclay.

Even though I totally agree on Worf, I still love him to death. Parallels may well be my favorite TNG episode ever.

A pause, "Champagne", and the bemused look on Deanna's face is just one of my most cherished Trek memories. In fact, I'm going to put it on right now.



Finally, I have to refute all the allegation of "City on the Edge of Forever" being overrated. It was great. People are saying that you could see how it would end from the start, but that wasn't the case when I first saw it. We didn't have the deluge of media that there is now.

Kirk is the guy who gets the ending HE wants, not the ending that has to be. Kirk beat the unbeatable routinely, but in THIS episode his hand was forced by fate. It was quite exceptional.

City on the Edge of Forever is kind of like Casablanca. Casablanca is one of the all time great movies, and I watched it again a few years ago and realized that SO much of the movie has been quoted, remade, redone, and parodied in so many formats that to someone growing up in modern times it would have a see-through plot and almost be a parody of itself. To a lesser extent, I think the same goes for City on the Edge of Forever.

Many storylines in Star Trek may not have been new, but they were the first place to tell those stories to a broad audience and make the ideas and concepts mainstream. Mirror, Mirror is my favorite Star Trek episode of all time, because it was where the concept of alternate universes was introduced to me. In a world with DS9 and ENT Mirror Universe stories, the Sliders TV show, the Dark Mirror TNG books, the DC comic book alternate earths, the new Justice League Earth 3 movie, South Park mirror universe episodes... With all that out there, Mirror, Mirror doesn't seem so incredible. But like The City on the Edge of Forever, just because it doesn't SEEM to be that great in today's contexts, in reality it is that great.

Like TOS as a whole, the greatest irony of that episode is that the fact that it was so great is part of the reason why it appears to be less than it is now.
__________________
U.S.S. Renegade NCC-63102
USS Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 08:41 PM   #221
Diddle
Lieutenant Commander
 
Diddle's Avatar
 
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I have a question regarding Star Trek 2009. Is it now ok to hate the film now that it's been out for almost a year? I ask because I saw the movie twice in the theater and enjoyed it both times, even though I will say the whole Lens Flare thing gave me a bit of a headache. Now it seems popular to hate the film and I'm just wondering when the shift between "Awesome movie" to "Ah, maybe it's not as good and almost near Final Frontier levels" happened.
I don't know, I suppose it's the anticipation, you know. The first couple of times I watched it in the theater I was all "Awesome!" by the third time I was just "meh, whatever". The fact that almost everyone was excited about the movie made it great the first time seeing all those characters you always knew and etc it was great, then after a while it just became another movie with pretty people, CGI and gunfire. (Not saying that I hate the movie, just...whatever, you know.
__________________

Diddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 08:50 PM   #222
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I have a question regarding Star Trek 2009. Is it now ok to hate the film now that it's been out for almost a year? I ask because I saw the movie twice in the theater and enjoyed it both times, even though I will say the whole Lens Flare thing gave me a bit of a headache. Now it seems popular to hate the film and I'm just wondering when the shift between "Awesome movie" to "Ah, maybe it's not as good and almost near Final Frontier levels" happened.
I was part of the minority of unpopular opinion from the beginning. But I suspect that over time that minority will get larger. I wouldn't go so far as to say it will become a majority, but time will tell.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 09:42 PM   #223
Teiwaz
Lieutenant
 
Location: Physical:UK, Mental:The Sea of Tranquility, Spiritual: The Heart of the Sun
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Diddle wrote: View Post
I don't know, I suppose it's the anticipation, you know. The first couple of times I watched it in the theater I was all "Awesome!" by the third time I was just "meh, whatever". The fact that almost everyone was excited about the movie made it great the first time seeing all those characters you always knew and etc it was great, then after a while it just became another movie with pretty people, CGI and gunfire. (Not saying that I hate the movie, just...whatever, you know.
Ah, I think I understand the problem. You have to 'up' the dose of whatever medication you're taking just before you go into the cinema.

Dr. Teiwaz
Teiwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 10:29 PM   #224
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I have a question regarding Star Trek 2009. Is it now ok to hate the film now that it's been out for almost a year? I ask because I saw the movie twice in the theater and enjoyed it both times, even though I will say the whole Lens Flare thing gave me a bit of a headache. Now it seems popular to hate the film and I'm just wondering when the shift between "Awesome movie" to "Ah, maybe it's not as good and almost near Final Frontier levels" happened.
I haven't heard of any shift in popular opinion. I still like the movie as much as I did when I first saw it, despite the glaring non-sensical plot holes.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 10:53 PM   #225
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Between the candle and the star
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

OK, I've another one: I really enjoyed DS9 The Emperor's New Cloak. Yes, yes, I can see all the problems with it, but it's so ridiculous and over the top that I can't help liking it. I definitely preferred it to Shattered Mirror and Resurrection.
__________________
"I hate purity, I hate goodness! I don't want any virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone to be corrupt to the bones." - Winston Smith
Pemmer Harge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.