Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 27 2010, 11:34 PM   #196
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
Teiwaz wrote: View Post
Basically you mean the Ferengi alliance then, yeah?
Arguably they were more "big government" than the Federation. The Ferengi Commerce Authority seemed ridiculously powerful.
The Ferengi, I believe, were a example of a semi-anarchy. The Authority was more of a multi-national corporation than a government. And the Grand Nagus like Al Capone or the head of the five families in New York City.
Perfect. That should make 23rd and 24th century Republicans ecstatic.
Old March 27 2010, 11:36 PM   #197
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

DevilEyes wrote: View Post

Nah, why should everyone join the Federation? Well, Bajor will probably eventually do it, but there's no need to make "OMG THEY'VE JOINED THE FEDERATION, NOW THEY'RE COMPLETE AND HAPPY!" the ending of the show. It would have probably been cheesy.
Because it was what kicked off the series? It was Sisko's original mission and in that stance he failed?
Old March 27 2010, 11:38 PM   #198
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Location: Physical:UK, Mental:The Sea of Tranquility, Spiritual: The Heart of the Sun

Dieks wrote: View Post
I am one of the few who actually enjoyed Enterprise. But then again my favorite Trek is Deep Space Nine so what do I know.
My favourite trek is Ds9 too. I also quite liked Enterprise, although I did'nt care for Archer or the theme music (I don't have it on DVD though, so I can't recall most of the characters names). It was on virgin1 TV channel here a while back but I only caught the odd episode, but what I saw I quite liked.
Teiwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2010, 11:59 PM   #199
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

-Spock should have remained dead after TWoK.

-Saavik should have been the betrayer in TUC.

-I find the most recent movie to be quite good, and no threat to the existence of prior incarnations of ST.

- I think Avery Brooks as sisko was a better actor than was Patrick Stewart as Picard.

-TNG, and VGr suffer greatly in comparison to TOs and DSN.

-Star Trek: Enterprise is and always was a legitimate prequel to TOS.

-Klingons aren't nearly as interesting as most people seem to think they are.

-Starfleet is clearly a military organization despite the latter-day protestations of Gene Roddenberry and Jean-Luc Picard.
Old March 28 2010, 01:25 AM   #200
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile

1. Nemisis was great
2. I loved ENT
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 02:22 AM   #201
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
Arguably they were more "big government" than the Federation. The Ferengi Commerce Authority seemed ridiculously powerful.
The Ferengi, I believe, were a example of a semi-anarchy. The Authority was more of a multi-national corporation than a government. And the Grand Nagus like Al Capone or the head of the five families in New York City.
Perfect. That should make 23rd and 24th century Republicans ecstatic.
Ah-hem.

(Holds up picture of George Soros)

On a more serious note...no, Ferenginar is not a free market. It's a "crony capitalism", where the government (The Nagus) gives out favors to corporations--and, BTW the FCA has a ton of regulations (as "Family Business" makes clear) for businesses to follow...unless, of course, the business owner has a bribe handy....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 02:26 AM   #202
Finn
Vice Admiral

Zameaze wrote: View Post
Janeway was the worst captain ever.

For example, in the episode Prime Factors, the Voyager crew was on a planet which had a technology which could possibly enable Voyager to get home more quickly. The planet authorities refused to share it under any conditions. However, some of the locals were willing to make a black market trade. Janeway decides not to make the trade. Her entire command staff secretly mutinied and conspired to make the deal and install the new tech on Voyager without Janeway's knowledge. In the end Janeway didn't punish anyone for disobeying her orders because everyone was guilty. She just let them know how disappointed she was with their behavior.

So she makes a bad decision, she can't enforce her orders, and then she can't even regain her authority by punishing offenders. Pitiful.
Wasn't Tuvok demoted in that episode???
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 02:28 AM   #203
Luther Sloan
Captain

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Truer words were never spoken on this issue. Ironic, coming from you, LS.
NCC-1701:

Yeah, it did sound like I sort of painted myself into a corner with that particular statement now didn't I?

*Picks up pencil and starts writing on the walls again*

Picard shaved his head?
I meant that Picard should have had his head shaved since the pilot episode, not that he ever did on the show or anything. I just think it would have been better if he just shaved it. Instead we have to deal with a bald man living in a technologically advanced society in the far future . I mean, seeing that there is no money issues in the future and the advancements in Rogaine for men is probably mind boggling. It just makes more sense that he shouldn't have had that half white wrapper going around his head. But that's just me.

Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
Sisko shouldn't have died and no one should have left the station.
Sisko died? I guess I missed something in What You Leave Behind then ...
Sisko's physical body is dead and gone. He informs Kasidy that he won't be coming back. Meaning the life that he had together with her is now gone. However, he said that he would come back to see her in a year or maybe the past. But that was going to be in his non corporeal worm hole alien state and not in the physical body he once had.

Thanks.
Your welcome, man. Again, great job on the thread. It's always fun when folks can unload their burdens and or freaky or unpopular opinions.

I even liked Chakotey.
I liked Chakotay, too. It was just a shame that his character wasn't fleshed out or used properly enough that left any lasting impression.

In fact, my top favorite episodes with him was in "Waking Moments" "Timeless", and "Scorpion Parts 1 & 2".
Luther Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 02:44 AM   #204
stj
Rear Admiral

To clarify: When the "silver blood" became someone, they somehow had all their memories, just like the Founders.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, I don't recall anyone prophesying the future on DS9. I was an irregular viewer, though, and I somehow thought it was otherwise. My apologies. Also, I recant my heresy: There were no prophets on DS9.
Old March 28 2010, 02:57 AM   #205
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Location: Physical:UK, Mental:The Sea of Tranquility, Spiritual: The Heart of the Sun

stj wrote: View Post
To clarify: When the "silver blood" became someone, they somehow had all their memories, just like the Founders.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, I don't recall anyone prophesying the future on DS9. I was an irregular viewer, though, and I somehow thought it was otherwise. My apologies. Also, I recant my heresy: There were no prophets on DS9.
Apart from 'The Prophets' - Then there was Tricores phrophesy about the 3 serpents. And Vedek Bariels premonitions about stepping down due to an encounter with an orb, not mention the coming of 'The Emissary' in the first place (oh, I did, sorry).

Or are we being sarcastic? My vulcan heritage sometimes means I miss these in textual form...
Old March 28 2010, 03:18 AM   #206
stj
Rear Admiral

You haven't missed a thing. I was going for sarcastic but I couldn't get my tongue out of my cheek long enough to pull it off.
Old March 28 2010, 03:32 AM   #207
Luther Sloan
Captain

GalaxyClass1701 wrote: View Post
1. Nemisis was great
Galaxy Class:

You may change your opinion slightly after checking out this 4 part review on Nemesis...

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZjkHUrEuHc

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoWfTq8dYos

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DT7sSp-3_I

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi5mj6-CUiY
Luther Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 04:38 AM   #208
Tulaberry whine
Lieutenant Commander

- The characters on TNG were insufferably smug at times.
- I actually liked the character of Alexander on TNG (but hate, hate, hated what they turned him into on DS9).
- The first couple of seasons of DS9 are really rather good - season two is probably my sentimental favourite of the entire series.
- William Shatner and Kate Mulgrew are terrible actors.
- The character of Picard was as inconsistently written as Janeway.
- Picard and Vash should have got together.
- Failing that. Picard and Crusher should have got together after Attached. IMO Picard's monk like existence bordered on weird and damaged the character.
- Dr Pulaski was vastly superior to Crusher and should have stayed until the end.
- Voyager was a children's show (more so than the animated series).
- Kes had the potential to be one of the most provocative and illuminating characters in the history of Trek. (Sadly, all that potential amounted to zilch.)
Tulaberry whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 05:52 AM   #209
drychlick
Captain

the fed. should use money! people have use money for a long time! and we be 400 year form now
drychlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 06:05 AM   #210
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Tulaberry whine wrote: View Post
- The characters on TNG were insufferably smug at times.
Could be, it's all that social balance resulting from a perfect society, they're all so teeth-grindingly well balance, and neither Rikers issues with his father nor LaForges blindness really gave any darkness to their make-ups.

- The character of Picard was as inconsistently written as Janeway.
I never felt that I felt Janeway lacked character, but I've never been a fan of Voy. Picard was always portrayed as a firmly controlled man, always aware of what he regarded to as 'apropriate' or 'inapropriate' (the latter being his favorite word).

- Picard and Vash should have got together.
- Failing that. Picard and Crusher should have got together after Attached.
You old romantic...
As Picard would say to the first and the second match-ups.
"That would be,(hesitant pause, as if searching for a word) inapropriate."
and probably did...

IMO Picard's monk like existence bordered on weird and damaged the character.
I thought Picard was well written for a individual who at his core was more interested in the accumulation of knowledge rather than people. He was a reserved and private man who kept himself aloof for an accumulation of reasons, one being his view that he should be aloof, another for regret at mistakes of his past.
It took him years to drop his defences when he was marooned in the past. I can't recall exactly how many, I've not watched STNG in a while. But he held onto the Enterprise and duty for ages before he finally let a woman into his life. With duty a constant mistress while onboard the Enterprise there was never any way he would drop that for any longer than a short affair.

Last edited by Teiwaz; March 28 2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: More Earl-Grey, Jean-Luc?