Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 15 2010, 12:34 AM   #16
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Warp speed and the 'star effect'

When you drive through a snow storm and the headlights illuminate the falling snow, it's kind of the same effect.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2010, 05:23 AM   #17
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

I don't think Starfleet, by the time of Nemesis, had developed any ship capable of traveling at warp non stop for about 70 years.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Kai Winn
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
For some kind of tech explanation, the deflector reaches out ahead of the ship. It pushes to the side particulate matter, cosmic rays and free hydrogen, so that the ship doesn't hit these things at hundreds of times the speed of light. Basically tunnels a hole that the ship flys down. But the warp drive field extends hundreds of meters, maybe several kilometer to the sides of the ship, all this stuff pushed to the side by the deflector passes through the warp drive field and that's what we see as streaks, the matter interacting with the structure of warp drive field. Outside the field it's warp eight, inside it's slower.

This explanation doesn't work for Where No One Has Gone Before unless the field is really really big.
i don't think so, not at this ludicrous speed could your eyes and brain single particles crushing into the warp field and passing by register, that might rather produce a constant glow. i believe the warp field produces an optical effect like a lens.
Old March 20 2010, 04:52 AM   #19
Tiberius
Commodore

[technobabble]Throughout space, there are lots of bits of dust and junk. that's why they have navigational deflectors.

When you move rapidly towards an object, any light from it will be shifted in frequency. Thus, the radiation from the object of a lower frequncy than visible light will be shifted into visible light, causing it to become visible. Same thing for objects behind you, except it works on frequencies HIGHER than visible light.

So you aren't seeing stars, you are seeing bits of space debris made visible by the speed you are going at. [/technobabble]

In real life, the effect would be much weirder. The same doppler shift would occur, shifting everything into high frequency radition which would actually kill you. But because of relativistic effects, things behind you get twisted out in front of you. In fact, something in front of you would actually appear to be getting further away!
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2010, 10:40 AM   #20
endouken
Ensign

@Tiberius, I think my head just exploded
endouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2010, 12:36 PM   #21
Tiberius
Commodore

Try looking for an animation of it/ It's freakier than you can imagine!
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2010, 06:04 PM   #22
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I just think its purty--and probably a better visual effect than having the ship fly through blackness with the only light being compressed dots located in the distance ahead and behind the ship...