Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 30 2010, 03:09 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

the bubble shields

I haven't seen all the of the remastered FX for TOS, but did they ever show the Enterprise being fired upon and the 'bubble' shield effect we see in later episodes? Did ENTERPRISE have the effect too?

There are scenes in the old TOS FX (notably when the Romulans attack during the episode where kirk/others age real fast) where it seems as if these tiny torpedo things are actually hitting the ship even though the shields are up...

Anyway, do the new effects show an energy shield now when weapons hit the shields?? And does archer's ENTERPRISE have the bubble too?

rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 05:18 PM   #2
M
Vice Admiral

Re: the bubble shields

Haven't watched a single episode of remastered Trek, but I know that Archer's Enterprise doesn't have shields. At least not in the traditional sense of Star Trek shields. They have a polarized hull plating. (Which in story terms works – or fails to work – just like the later shields.) So, no "bubble shields" there ...
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 05:20 PM   #3
RobertScorpio
Pariah

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Haven't watched a single episode of remastered Trek, but I know that Archer's Enterprise doesn't have shields. At least not in the traditional sense of Star Trek shields. They have a polarized hull plating. (Which in story terms works – or fails to work – just like the later shields.) So, no "bubble shields" there ...
Thanks...I totally forgot about Enterprise's polorized hull.

Great avatar too!

Rob
Old March 30 2010, 05:25 PM   #4
M
Vice Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Great avatar too!
Thank you!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Jeyl
Commodore

The remastering of the TOS episode "Errand of Mercy" does have some instances of a 'shield bubble' use, though very mild. They're at 0:07 and 0:36.

LINK
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 08:00 PM   #6
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Jeyl wrote: View Post
The remastering of the TOS episode "Errand of Mercy" does have some instances of a 'shield bubble' use, though very mild. They're at 0:07 and 0:36.

LINK
Cool...thanks for the link...

Rob
Old March 30 2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
There are scenes in the old TOS FX (notably when the Romulans attack during the episode where kirk/others age real fast) where it seems as if these tiny torpedo things are actually hitting the ship even though the shields are up...

rob
There was at least one episode of TAS, "More Tribbles, More Troubles", where we see a glow outlining the Enterprise to indicate shields are up when the Klingons open fire on her. So that's probably what the old TOS FX would have shown if they had the time and money for it back then.

Here are 2 pictures of the shield effect from that episode courtesy of trekcore:
Picture 1
Picture 2

Here are 2 pictures of the glowing outline shield effect when the ship is hit by enemy weapons, from TAS episode "The Time Trap" for both the Enterprise and the Klingon Battlecruiser:

Enterprise
Klingon Battlecruiser

Personally, I prefer the bubble shield effect, that is what they (Interplay) used in the "Star Trek: Starfleet Command" 3-d simulation computer game (which is based on the old Star Fleet Battles table top board game).

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)

Last edited by Navigator_NCC2120; March 31 2010 at 04:26 AM.
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 06:46 PM   #8
publiusr
Commodore

The first bubble shield I saw was some box art of the old D-7 model firing on the Enterprise. Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise talked about skni tight fields, and Dreadnaught talked about layered defenses. We saw some of this in the novelization of STTMP, where you had the deflectors, force fields and force shields all mentioned. In ST II we had the anti transporter field around the bridge, so layered defenses are canon, in that we see the bubble in TNG and surface strikes in TOS
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 12:46 AM   #9
Lor'Vela
Captain

Even in ENT's Mirror episode as the Defiant was under attack from Tholians, there was no clear shield bubble effect. There was no bubble effect in TUC either. I'm thinking that shields in Kirk's era operated in a very similar way as the Ent-E was in Nemesis, where the shield effect was very tightly wrapped around the hull.
Old April 1 2010, 04:36 AM   #10
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Yeah, TUC just had some crackling or whatever where the weapons hits had occured (and damage?)
Old April 1 2010, 05:50 AM   #11
Gagarin
Commander

To be fair, we never saw directed energy weapons used against a movie-era starship with it's shields up (does the plasma probe thing from TMP count?). Those may have had a bubble effect, whereas torpedo's would impact near the hull surface - sometimes causing physical damage, if not scarring.

Weapons and shield technology would be a constant sea-saw.

We did see that NCC-2000 took a direct Klingon torpedo hit, with sheilds up, and it did not cause any damange or scarring to it's hull.
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 11:03 AM   #12
I am not Spock
Commodore

I actually liked the 'Star Trek Nemesis' shield effect, with only the area being hit by the weapon fire being illuminated.
Old April 2 2010, 05:47 AM   #13
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Gagarin wrote: View Post
We did see that NCC-2000 took a direct Klingon torpedo hit, with sheilds up, and it did not cause any damange or scarring to it's hull.
Maybe, just maybe, the Enterprise had the layered defenses alluded to in TMP, whilst the Excelsior had a single, all-encompassing system like in TNG. Perhaps Chang's ship was equipped with torpedoes designed to circumvent certain defensive measures (like the "defense fields" or "screens"), but didn't punch through Excelsior's new-fangled shield quite as easily.
Old April 2 2010, 09:06 PM   #14
Gagarin
Commander

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Gagarin wrote: View Post
Maybe, just maybe, the Enterprise had the layered defenses alluded to in TMP, whilst the Excelsior had a single, all-encompassing system like in TNG. Perhaps Chang's ship was equipped with torpedoes designed to circumvent certain defensive measures (like the "defense fields" or "screens"), but didn't punch through Excelsior's new-fangled shield quite as easily.
My thoughts exactly. And maybe the Excelsior hadn't ever been fired upon before in battle, hence the reaction shots from everyone on the bridge --- how would it stand up?
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 09:39 PM   #15
Lor'Vela
Captain

^ Assuming Tuvok's memory was accurate in VOY's Flashback, the Excelsior received torpedo hits from Kang's warship. Seems that the skin-tight shield effect was also maintained in that episode.