Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 12 2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore

View Garm Bel Iblis's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Garm Bel Iblis
Shar-Shran Coincidence

Since Avatar came out months before the Andorian incident, were the names a conicidence or did the tv writers take note of Shar and make Shran?
Garm Bel Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Shar-Shran Coincidence

One of the first Andorian characters to be named -- technically the only Andorian character in TOS with a name, since Thelev was a fake -- was Ambassador Shras in "Journey to Babel." Naturally, when Trek writers are trying to come up with alien names, they tend to follow the precedent of existing names from that species. So lots of Andorian characters over the years have had names derived from "Thelev" and "Shras" (for instance, Thelin in "Yesteryear"). So it's not surprising that different people would independently come up with names that sounded similar to "Shras" for their Andorian characters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
One of the first Andorian characters to be named -- technically the only Andorian character in TOS with a name, since Thelev was a fake -- was Ambassador Shras in "Journey to Babel." Naturally, when Trek writers are trying to come up with alien names, they tend to follow the precedent of existing names from that species. So lots of Andorian characters over the years have had names derived from "Thelev" and "Shras" (for instance, Thelin in "Yesteryear"). So it's not surprising that different people would independently come up with names that sounded similar to "Shras" for their Andorian characters.
Ah, I forgot Shras that makes sense now!
Old March 12 2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

^ Don't forget, "Shar" is actually a shortening of the character's full name, Thirishar ch'Thane.

Wonder what ever happened to that dude.....

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
^ Don't forget, "Shar" is actually a shortening of the character's full name, Thirishar ch'Thane.

Maybe he settled down, met a nice blind Aenar opened a diner and tells his children of his THREE MONTH Gamma quadrant adventure. Hell, Giligan lasted longer in the wild.
Old March 12 2010, 07:40 PM   #6
JoeP
Commander

View JoeP's Twitter Profile

Subtle!
JoeP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2010, 07:42 PM   #7
EmperorKalan
Commander

In the Japanese doujinshi (fan comic) that was published in English in 1991 as "Star Trekker", one of the main supporting characters was the ship's engineer, an Andorian named Shran.

I doubt this was any factor in naming Jeffrey Combs' character in ENT, but it goes to show that even that far back it fit peoples' notion of what an Andorian name would be.
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

EmperorKalan wrote: View Post
In the Japanese doujinshi (fan comic) that was published in English in 1991 as "Star Trekker", one of the main supporting characters was the ship's engineer, an Andorian named Shran.
Drat. Beat me to it.

Starfleet engineer Shran, of the USS Constellation II, in the comic book parody collection, Star Trekker by Atelier Lana (Antarctic Press, 1991).
http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/2009/...s-gallery.html
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

^ I think I might still have the trade paperback collection of those stories somewhere.

Old March 12 2010, 10:14 PM   #10
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

Starfleet engineer Shran, of the USS Constellation II, in the comic book parody collection, Star Trekker by Atelier Lana (Antarctic Press, 1991).
http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/2009/...s-gallery.html
Awwwww, he (she? whatever?) is really cute!
Old March 14 2010, 02:16 AM   #11
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Well, I have my own ideas, but I'm sure you'll ruin them entirely.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2010, 02:29 AM   #12
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Come to think of it, this practice is as silly as the practice of having an entire alien race wear the same haircut. Imagine if an alien met, say, Jonathan Archer and Malcolm Reed, and concluded that every human must have a name that begins in "J" or "M"... no matter if they're Dutch, Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Nigerian, Iranian, Brazilian, Indonesian...

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2010, 07:45 PM   #13
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Well, I have my own ideas, but I'm sure you'll ruin them entirely.
That's the spirit!

Old March 15 2010, 07:25 AM   #14
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Come to think of it, this practice is as silly as the practice of having an entire alien race wear the same haircut. Imagine if an alien met, say, Jonathan Archer and Malcolm Reed, and concluded that every human must have a name that begins in "J" or "M"... no matter if they're Dutch, Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Nigerian, Iranian, Brazilian, Indonesian...
I can sorta live with the idea that other species are more monocultural than we, especially with the Andorians apparently having a much smaller population that is much more geographically concentrated--icebreakers notwithstanding, I would strongly expect there are few navigable oceans on Andor what with orbiting a gas giant, and even if bad seas could be overcome, they would still have few serviceable beaches and ports. Not that Heather Jarman knew that Andor was a moon.

Now, if the Aenar, who are clearly very far removed from the main Andorian line to be born blind, even speak the same language, that's some BS.

And something I've got to add because this just makes me livid... I checked MA to confirm the born blind thing, and they have some photos of the two Aenar characters... the lack of pigment is fine, but through the skin you can see that they specifically added... pink. Because that's what human albinos sort of look like.

In the same arc, in the same episode Shran was bleeding blue. Did the people who made Enterprise even watch their own God damned show? Gah!!!

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Now, if the Aenar, who are clearly very far removed from the main Andorian line to be born blind, even speak the same language, that's some BS.
Universal translator?

And something I've got to add because this just makes me livid... I checked MA to confirm the born blind thing, and they have some photos of the two Aenar characters... the lack of pigment is fine, but through the skin you can see that they specifically added... pink. Because that's what human albinos sort of look like.
No. Even Shran's makeup has a dappled orange basecoat, surprisingly enough, then covered over with a translucent blue. For the Aenar the makeup guys used a very pale blue topcoat, which photographed stark white. I have a set of Aenar antennae right here. The Aenar antennae are a creamy white with medium blue shadowing. It's an eerie colour and looks like blue blood is not far below the surface. The inner lining of their antennae is a pinker pale fleshy colour, but so are Shran's.

In the same arc, in the same episode Shran was bleeding blue. Did the people who made Enterprise even watch their own God damned show? Gah!!!
Sure, but Shran's tongue, eye rims, the inner lining of his mouth and the inner cups of his antennae are pinkish, hence the orange basecoat to tie everything together.

As for hair, the male Andorians we saw were usually always military men, hence the hairstyles being short military haircuts. The males in "Babel One" did show some individual differences (one resembled Thelev's style from TOS) and females Tarah, Talas and Talla all had different hairstyles.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote