Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 8 2011, 05:44 AM   #151
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: Summer Glau Joins The Cape...

Here are the opening credits to The Cape.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 09:35 AM   #152
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I can't help feel that the show will be cancelled either this summer or summer 2012. Just looks like a show the average Greys loving, Idol mind numbing tv viewer wouldn't watch.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 09:47 AM   #153
Jetfire

Looks cool to me.

I am gonna set up an official episode thread soon.
Old January 8 2011, 09:51 AM   #154
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

A part of me is interested in this and will probably check out the pilot but another part of me is meh...even with Summer included.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 03:43 PM   #155
Christopher
Writer

Nice to see a superhero show embracing the comic-book aesthetic rather than trying to mask its inspiration. I'm a bit reminded of 1990's The Flash.

Still, the "comic-book" art here isn't the greatest. Just imagine if they'd gotten Alex Ross to do the art...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 10:16 PM   #156
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
I can't help feel that the show will be cancelled either this summer or summer 2012. Just looks like a show the average Greys loving, Idol mind numbing tv viewer wouldn't watch.
Seems like an instant misfire to me, too. It doesn't come up to the quality that the geeky comic book/sci fi crowd wants (and shows appealing to that niche audience can't get survival numbers on networks anyway) and it's way off target for the broad-based network audience. They're going to run into the same problem that's dooming No Ordinary Family: a cable concept chasing network ratings.

The show should be rejiggered for cable, with a different lead actor (the guy they got is way too boring - they need a Zach Levi type who just zings off the screen), more stylization and more humor. Even then, I don't think they should bother. It's really not a very exciting premise to begin with.

Still, the "comic-book" art here isn't the greatest.
Case in point: that's the reaction they're going to get from the niche fandom audience. The mass market audience's reaction will be "wtf, is this for kids?" So they'll end up pleasing no one.

Moral of the story: know your audience first. Then come up with a concept. Lost was the last sci fi series that can get healthy numbers on networks.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 10:53 PM   #157
Christopher
Writer

Given the huge success of movies like X-Men, Spider-Man, The Dark Knight, and Iron Man -- and the fact that superhero movies are increasingly being made by respected filmmakers and featuring sophisticated, adult-oriented content -- I suspect the percentage of the audience ignorant enough to assume comics and superhero stories are exclusively for children is a lot smaller today than it would've been 10 or 20 years ago.

And I object to you taking one passing side observation of mine out of context and claiming it represents my entire "reaction" to the show. I am not some kneejerk fanboy idiot who condemns an entire show because of one minor thing I don't instantly fall in love with. I am, in fact, very much looking forward to this show and hoping for the best from it. So don't use me as a "case in point" if you're going to twist and distort my words in order to do so. I am not in any way, shape, or form an example of the type of reaction you're postulating here.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote