Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 8 2010, 08:29 AM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

SCIFI's best picture...when?

Avatar failed to win Best Picture, and as I said elsewhere, I didn't think it deserved to win. Technically it was great, but the acting was good, not great, but the story had absolutely no originality to it at all..IMO, outside of the "avatar" aspect of the movie. The message of the movie, the oh so predictable ending, and its mirroring of several Native American 'themed' movies, all kept it from winning, IMO.

Of all the movies that came close to winning BEST PICTURE, from the world of scifi, I think to this day it should have been Star Wars. It was the Avatar of its time, and ushered in the modern era of scifi movies. It was, as they say, a game changer more so, IMO, than Avatar claims to be now.

If not star wars, what scifi movie do you think should have won best picture, and was highly thought of to even have been considered (as Star Wars and Avatar were) when it was eligble for the award?

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: SCIFI's best picture...when?

Alien and/or Aliens should have won. (It's that guy Cameron again, too)
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Star Wars or Close Encounters of the Third Kind should have won.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Avatar failed to win Best Picture, and as I said elsewhere, I didn't think it deserved to win. Technically it was great, but the acting was good, not great, but the story had absolutely no originality to it at all..IMO

Of all the movies that came close to winning BEST PICTURE, from the world of scifi, I think to this day it should have been Star Wars. It was the Avatar of its time, and ushered in the modern era of scifi movies. It was, as they say, a game changer more so, IMO, than Avatar claims to be now.

If not star wars, what scifi movie do you think should have won best picture, and was highly thought of to even have been considered (as Star Wars and Avatar were) when it was eligble for the award?

Rob
  1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
  3. Brazil
  4. Planet Of The Apes (1968)
  5. Quatermass and the Pit (aka Five Million Years to Earth)
  6. King Kong (1933)
  7. The Dark Knight
  8. The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
  9. The Right Stuff
  10. Alien
  11. Spider-Man II
  12. Dark City
  13. The Matrix
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 11:50 AM   #5
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

District 9 could have won this year. 'twas awesome.

Old March 8 2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Definitely should have been Star Wars. It was a great film, it made lots of money, it wasn't the Avatar of its time, it was far beyond Avatar.

I'll reserve judgment on whether District 9 should have won until I check out The Hurt Locker in the next couple of days, but I definitely think it would have been more deserving than Avatar.
Old March 8 2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country deserved to be at least nominated. The five nominees that year were The Silence of the Lambs, Beauty and the Beast, Bugsy, JFK, and The Prince of Tides. I think TUC was much better than either Bugsy or The Prince of Tides.
Old March 8 2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

OOh I second Close Encounters of the Third Kind!That thing felt so real, if you know what I mean.
What happened to that Spielberg? (Well, it seems like he flips a coin for how he's going to direct, of course Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan were made by that good ol' Spielberg.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

SCIFI's best picture...when?

When Avatar 3 comes out. They'll probably pull a ROTK and give Cameron all of the awards for the last one.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I have no idea. Probably eventually; if Return of the King could do it...

Heck for all we know the first sci-fi film to win best picture will be the Avatar sequel (provided it's good, makes a bundle, and after two megahits the Academy feels Cameron is now again due.) Stay tuned.
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Of all the movies that came close to winning BEST PICTURE, from the world of scifi, I think to this day it should have been Star Wars.
Aside from Star Wars (and District 9, if we're counting) have any other sci-fi films been nominated for best picture?
Old March 8 2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Hermiod
Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Aside from Star Wars (and District 9, if we're counting) have any other sci-fi films been nominated for best picture?
After ploughing through the list on Wikipedia I was able to come up with E.T. which was nominated in 1982 and that's it.

I didn't realise that 2001: A Space Odyssey wasn't even nominated. So, the total list of Science Fiction (not Fantasy, Horror or "supernatural") films nominated at 82 ceremonies for Best Picture consists of:

Star Wars (1977)
E.T. the Extraterrestrial (1982)
District 9 (2009)

Yes, four Science Fiction films. Despite the fact that Science Fiction utterly and totally dominates the top 100 highest grossing films of all time.
Old March 8 2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

Nah, I don't believe a true Science Fiction film will ever win Best Picture.
Old March 8 2010, 02:37 PM   #13
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Can add ET the Extra-Terrestrial to that list (as it got a nomination in 1982)
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 02:39 PM   #14
Hermiod
Admiral

ElimParra wrote: View Post
Can add ET the Extra-Terrestrial to that list (as it got a nomination in 1982)
That is the list - four films. Ever.
Old March 8 2010, 03:16 PM   #15
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Yes, four Science Fiction films. Despite the fact that Science Fiction utterly and totally dominates the top 100 highest grossing films of all time.
^You're forgetting that there's a ginormous disconnect between what the "unwashed masses" watch and what Hollywood votes for on the evening where they pat themselves on the back. Even when some of those top-grossing films really are deserving. Star Wars is the only one I really have a beef with; as good as E.T. was, Gandhi was better.

Funny this thread should have popped up; a friend of mine posted this link to her Facebook status:

We pick the winners: 81 years of sci-fi Oscars

I think most of the article is bollocks (Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars deserves Best Picture of 1938? ), but some of the films they highlight really would have been deserving (specifically, The Day the Earth Stood Still and 2001)
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote