A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 16 2008, 12:40 PM   #1
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Australia plans to reboot "The Phantom"

First it was Batman, then James Bond, then most recently The Crow (am I forgetting any others? The Hulk? The Punisher?) and now The Phantom is getting rebooted thanks to some Australian filmmakers.

Sydney-based production company Sherlock Symington Productions has secured the rights to The Phantom character, who last bowed in cinemas in 1996 starring Billy Zane in the titular role. The proposed new film -- entitled The Phantom Legacy -- is set to modernize the character with a heavy emphasis on a "father/son" relationship.

The film is budgeted at $87 million and the producers are searching through a vast litany of "talented Australian and American actors".

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/081215m.php

I guess this isn't that surprising, besides the fact that it's coming from overseas and not here. What other popular cinematic character needs to get rebooted? I believe Sam Raimi intends to reboot The Shadow.
Old December 16 2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: Australia plans to reboot "The Phantom"

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post

I guess this isn't that surprising, besides the fact that it's coming from overseas and not here. What other popular cinematic character needs to get rebooted? I believe Sam Raimi intends to reboot The Shadow.
I don't know if it's still the case, but at one point The Phantom comics were being written and illustrated by a couple of Australians.

Now if they were any good they could have a better idea on writing for the character than some hollywood hack.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 03:11 PM   #3
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

I kind of liked both The Phantom and The Shadow movies.

Wouldn't mind a CAPEABLE reboot of either.

As for the modern setting...that's one of e good things about the Phantom...he's still here. It ws all put in place after the pirate attack.

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 04:53 PM   #4
js
Captain

I'm not surprised - it's a good property.

But I'm one of the few who absolutely LOVED Zane's Phantom. The Shadow of the same era - not so much.
Old December 16 2008, 04:59 PM   #5
davidant32
Commodore

i like the 1996 Phantom movie

did you know he was the first masked superhero to be drawn with the iconic "no pupil white eyes" coming through the mask?
Old December 16 2008, 05:02 PM   #6
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Dasher'n'Dancer32 wrote: View Post
did you know he was the first masked superhero to be drawn with the iconic "no pupil white eyes" coming through the mask?
I didn't know that.

I liked the 1996 movie. Billy Zane had the superhero thing down pat. I thought Treat Williams was ridiculously over-the-top, though. I wouldn't mind a modernized version of the character, however a part of me will miss the classic (20's? 30's?) setting.
Old December 16 2008, 05:58 PM   #7
davidant32
Commodore

and apparently the first to wear spandex as a costume as well
Old December 16 2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I also liked the original. It was no The Dark Knight or Iron Man but it was a fun romp, with non-stop action, a likeable hero and a sort of Raiders feel. Zane was great in the title role. It holds up way better than eg Batman Returns or Spawn.

I understood that this movie would sort of be a sequel to the original. Obviously Zane wouldn't be in it, given the modern day setting, but that's the joy of the Phantom concept - the title passes from father to son and any movie could be set in any period, with any star. You could therefore watch this movie with no knowledge of its predecessor or you could assume that the Kit Walker in this movie is the grandson or great grandson of the Zane incarnation.

Given that it's supposed to be about the father son relationship, perhaps they should call it The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost Who Walks. And with the Aussie connection, Mel Gibson could direct!
Old December 16 2008, 09:52 PM   #9
Aragorn
Admiral

The Billy Zane version obviously wasn't going to get a sequel, so restarting is really the only option. It wouldn't make any sense to have a brand new movie with George Clooney and Tom Cruise and say it's a sequel anyway.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 10:48 PM   #10
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Actually, whereas the reports yesterday where that it was a sequel, the producer has apparently today clarified that and said that it won't, it will be a reboot. Fair enough.

Wonder if they'll get an Aussie in the title role? Between Hugh Jackman, the late Heath Ledger, Eric Bana in Ang Lee's Hulk, they're getting a fair run at the comic adaptations ...
Old December 16 2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Aragorn
Admiral

Guy "Not Daredevil/Not Harvey Dent" Pearce is still available.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 01:44 AM   #12
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I remember the '96 film for the scene where the guy gets stabbed in the eyes with razor blades coming out a microscope. *shudders* That haunted me as a kid for years.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 02:01 AM   #13
John Picard
Vice Admiral

I have the one Phantom book where he goes after the vampires. It's a terrific story and I loved reading it in my teens. I have since given it to my 14 year old to read.

A reboot would be fantastic.
Old December 17 2008, 02:03 AM   #14
Australis
Writer

Nice to see the affection for the Phantom movie and The Shadow movie, both of which I liked.

Have to qualify that: the Phantom had a few dud actors and the plot was so-so, but Zane was good. And the Shadow had mostly good actors, a crap villain and a wobbly story, but Baldwin was REALLY good as the Shadow, would have liked to see him i that role again.

On topic: I think fellow Aussies could doa good job, could be really good if they get the right crew together.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 04:00 AM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

however a part of me will miss the classic (20's? 30's?) setting.
I think that would be the best way to do it; otherwise it'll just be Yet Another Superhero Flick. Wouldn't a Jazz Age superhero be cool?

Well, I think so.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote