A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 19 2010, 02:10 AM   #1
HGN2001
Commander

"Lonely Among Us"

We've been rewatching TNG starting from Season One. It's been quite awhile since we've done Season One, and I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought I would.

The other day we watched "Lonely Among Us" and it brought back a memory I hadn't thought of in years. Back when this series was originally airing in 1987, no one really knew what was going on. It was a new STAR TREK and we were all still trying to get used to the cast and the new ship.

I remember absolutely hating this new Captain Picard and his grouchy self but was warming up to Riker, a much more Kirk-like character.

When watching "Lonely Among Us", I actually believed for a time that this would be the episode where they'd dump this Picard guy and give the ship to Riker as its permanent Captain. The ending of course proved me wrong and we were "stuck" with Picard for the duration of the series.

I'm happy it turned out the way it did. Picard grew on me as a character and Stewart as an actor, but in the early going, I was hoping he'd have remained out in that cloud-thing.

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Destructor
Commodore

Re: "Lonely Among Us"

HGN2001 wrote: View Post
When watching "Lonely Among Us", I actually believed for a time that this would be the episode where they'd dump this Picard guy and give the ship to Riker as its permanent Captain. The ending of course proved me wrong and we were "stuck" with Picard for the duration of the series.
Yes, that was a common theory among the fans, even up to the start of the 4th season and the Best of Both Worlds- some people thought Picard was done for.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 02:56 PM   #3
RAMA
Vice Admiral

There is no question this episode is rather pointless....although of course there is the fundamental respect for lifeforms no matter what form they take. However, I really LIKE this episode...why? Data investigating Sherlock Holmes, the SFX...wonderful, the lighting in this show is really noticeable including a great shadowy shot of the ready room from outside, there was also a sense of mystery although we all knew what was going to happen...one other thing...in terms of ST respecting life in any form...I recall my wife watching this years ago and expected something malevolent from the life form...I smiled because I knew it wasn't the case. I guess if it was on Stargate Universe or Babylon 5 it would have been...and that's why so many people love ST!

Last edited by RAMA; August 19 2010 at 05:14 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Destructor
Commodore

Isn't this the episode that established that you can pretty much make transporter clones on demand if you lose any of your crew members?
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Timo
Admiral

Provided that he has left his physical pattern in the pattern buffer of the transporter when doing an "energy only" beamout - a trick that probably is exclusive to nebulous spatial lifeforms possessing hapless humanoid bodies.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote