New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 9 2010, 01:53 PM   #721
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: The 82nd Annual Academy Awards - discussion thread

Yeah. Maybe District 9 is anti-military... but it's more anti-Blackwater than anything else. Same with Avatar.

As for SF winning... there just wasn't any good SF that was nominated except for Up. Now if Moon was up for best picture? Different story maybe.

I do find it kind of strange that a history will remember the first female director winning the biggest American directing award winning for a relatively bland and unassuming war movie. Who would have imagined?

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 03:06 PM   #722
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Inevitably, it seems to me, the dullest of the movies ends up winning. Time had it right, liberal with a message seems to be the winning formula, even if only three people saw it.

As for the anti-American, anti-military bent, the filmmakers/writers can take that attitude and cram it up their asses. I didn't like it during the Vietnam era, I don't like it now.
Next time you complain about liberals you might wanna actually know what you're talking about.

These troops liked the movie. Why do these troops hate the troops?
Old March 9 2010, 04:49 PM   #723
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Inevitably, it seems to me, the dullest of the movies ends up winning. Time had it right, liberal with a message seems to be the winning formula, even if only three people saw it.

As for the anti-American, anti-military bent, the filmmakers/writers can take that attitude and cram it up their asses. I didn't like it during the Vietnam era, I don't like it now.
Next time you complain about liberals you might wanna actually know what you're talking about.

I work for the military. I was in the military. Most the people that I know who are in the military do not like this movie. It sends the wrong message.

As for Viet Nam era movies? Most of them came out AFTER the war was over, which is the way it should be done IMO. Very easy for liberal whack jobs, or conservative nut cases (the Green Berets) to write about wars for whatever politcal message they want to send, while living nice and safe in Hollywood with their cocain filled straws.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 04:57 PM   #724
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
It sends the wrong message.
Which is...?
Old March 9 2010, 05:38 PM   #725
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Viet Nam?

Old March 9 2010, 06:10 PM   #726
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

You clearly haven't actually seen 'The Hurt Locker' if you think it's "dull," "liberal," or "anti-American/anti-military."

With the exception of the often very reckless yet extremely good at what he does Sgt. James and the reactions he sometimes provokes, the soldiers did their jobs with nothing but professionalism. Not once did anyone say anything negative about the overall mission in Iraq, the US, or soldiers as a group; criticizing only individuals for their own behavior such as placing the team in danger or showing quite normal reactions of fear or depression.

It has inaccuracies, as one would expect from a non-military author and a Hollywood film, but it certainly isn't dull (quite the opposite - the tension was palpable at several points throughout the film) and according to many Iraq vets captures the distrust, anxiousness, and occasional friendship between soldiers and civilians in Iraq extremely well.

It sounds like one of these situations where rumors have started about the movie being anti-military or anti-US and taken on a life of its own where people just repeat that without actually seeing the film. Even if it was those things, which it isn't, what does that have to do with whether it was a good movie or not?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 07:04 PM   #727
indranee
Vice Admiral

Johnnyracefan wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
They didn't even have a description for Michael Jackson.
Well they very well couldn't put Freak there could they
ya know, there's a name for a person who takes cheap shots at dead people.

yes, I believe it's called A-S-S-H-O-L-E.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 07:23 PM   #728
indranee
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I'm not happy with Harry Potter in 3D. I thought it worked for Avatar very well but I don't like the idea of gimmicking the last HP film.
it's pretty much for the moolah. I'd pay NOT to see HP in 3D.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 07:52 PM   #729
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post

It was just so anti-military when Kathryn Bigelow 'blasted' the troops not once but twice...

T'Bonz have you actually watched the Oscars?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2010, 04:13 AM   #730
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Blue_Trek wrote: View Post

And who is saying Annie Hall is better than the original Star Wars?
Annie Hall is a better movie than Star Wars.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2010, 06:08 AM   #731
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Oh Please!

Even for a Star Trek fanboy that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted here.
That would be quite subjective there; if you aren't interested in space opera and prefer romantic comedy/relationship movies, well, that genre has rarely been done better than in Annie Hall.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2010, 07:01 AM   #732
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Chiming in belated, I am glad The Hurt Locker won. I think it was the better-made film. Avatar was considerably more mainstream, but Hurt Locker was an incredibly taut, emotionally resonant suspense thriller. It was very "now", where you could argue Avatar was very... uhm, not? Yes, you can say that Avatar dealt with themes dealing with the environment, but like others have said, The Hurt Locker deals with issues that are very prevalent and relevant in our society today.

I had heard somewhere that a majority of the voters who vote for Best Picture are actors, and they felt like Avatar was representative of a horde of new cinema that chooses to replace the traditional actor with computer generated replacements. I hope that didn't factor into their decision-making process, but one can see their point. The Hurt Locker is classic cinema; gritty, emotional, current and entertaining; Avatar was perhaps too technologically progressive for Hollywood's tastes.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2010, 07:10 AM   #733
CaptainCanada
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I had heard somewhere that a majority of the voters who vote for Best Picture are actors, and they felt like Avatar was representative of a horde of new cinema that chooses to replace the traditional actor with computer generated replacements.
It's been suggested that actors aren't receptive to Avatar for that reason, but actors aren't a majority of the Academy (closer to a fifth, I believe, but that's the single-largest voting group). And The Hurt Locker won the Producers Guild Award, which suggests that it's victory was not dependent on actor enmity.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2010, 07:28 AM   #734
Blue_Trek
Captain

Kelso wrote: View Post

Annie Hall is a better movie than Star Wars.

Old March 10 2010, 09:56 AM   #735
Rii
Rear Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Yeah. Maybe District 9 is anti-military... but it's more anti-Blackwater than anything else. Same with Avatar.
Indeed. But then American culture is so militaristic that anything less than jerking off to the flag qualifies as "anti-military".
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote