TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 8 2010, 10:05 PM   #691
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The 82nd Annual Academy Awards - discussion thread

Bridges certainly deserved his award.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 11:00 PM   #692
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
I liked The Hurt Locker, so I have no problem with it winning.

But Sandra Bullock won for The Blind Side? WTF? That movie was awful.
I think Bullock won because there was a strong field of nominees that divided the voters.
Santa Kang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 11:01 PM   #693
Tom
Rear Admiral

So did anyone else notice how they messed up the timing of the show again. The Academy awards always run overtime, thats nothing new, but a couple things struck me.

The best Actor and Actress presentation was way to long and draw out by having 5 people tell stories of the nominated actors. So the show was already running late when they occured. They then had Tom Hanks (who is the Academy Governer BTW,) almost run out on stage and very quickly blurt out the winning film after ironicaly commenting on how there has not been 10 film nominated since 1943. I think his 'rushed' presentation of best film was disgraceful.

I know they wanted to get to there respective post-award parties, but jeesh, what a huge contrast between best Actor and Actress and best picture presentation.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 11:13 PM   #694
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Yeah, they really should get rid of that 'best actor'/'best actress' and 'best supporting actor'/'best supporting actress' circle jerk segment. It was cringe-inducing last year, and cringe-inducing this year. We don't need to hear someone read praise off a teleprompter for each of the five nominees in each of those categories while the camera zooms in on the teary nominees.

It's just vain self-congratulatory Hollywood bullshit. I remember last year when Sophia Loren was clearly reading her praise off a monitor. How embarassing. Colin Farrell was the only one who sounded natural, but whether it's natural or forced, those speeches are a waste of time.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 11:38 PM   #695
T'Grinch
T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon

I generally don't watch the Oscars, but this year I had an article to write, so watched the whole dreary thing. I want those hours back.

Fashion bores me (as anyone who has ever met me can attest to ).

Inevitably, it seems to me, the dullest of the movies ends up winning. Time had it right, liberal with a message seems to be the winning formula, even if only three people saw it.

As for the anti-American, anti-military bent, the filmmakers/writers can take that attitude and cram it up their asses. I didn't like it during the Vietnam era, I don't like it now.

Sci-fi always gets dissed. No, I don't necessarily mean Star Trek, which although I've liked the movies, I don't consider them "Best Picture" material. I mean movies like Star Wars (the first two back in the 70s/80s) or E.T. Those were awesome, impressive movies. And what won instead of Star Wars and E.T.? Annie Hall and Gandhi. SNORE! Or how about Raiders of the Lost Ark being beat out by Chariots of Fire? SNORE!

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 11:51 PM   #696
Harvey
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^Burtt is one of the reasons why I think Star Wars should have beaten Annie Hall.

George Lucas had a very talented, intelligent and creative group of people working for him on that movie that invented new technologies and vastly improved on existing ones, changing the way movies are made.
And all of those people were awarded at the Oscars that year. Star Wars walked away with Oscars for art direction, costume design, visual effects, film editing, original score, sound, and the Academy created a second special acheivment award for sound effects awarded to Ben Burtt.

Annie Hall is still the better picture, and still one of Allen's best films.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 12:00 AM   #697
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
Annie Hall is still the better picture, and still one of Allen's best films.
Damn right. In my opinion, anyone saying sci-fi gets snubbed is not coming up with a good example when they value Star Wars over Annie Hall (and I'm not just saying that because I never cared for any Star Wars movies). Annie Hall is not my favourite Woody Allen movie (I find "Manhattan" more satisfying personally), but I think from an objective standpoint it's Allen's most consistently written and directed film, as well as his most creative and original one, which is saying a lot given how innovative, ingenious, and prolific he is.

I believe "Gandhi" deserved best picture as well, but arguing in favour of "E.T." over that is something I find a lot more plausible and understandable. "Gandhi" is a little long and dreary at times. I can understand why some might find it overrated and dismiss it as dull Oscar bait. "E.T." is one of the most heartwarming movies ever and one of the most gorgeously shot of Spielberg's movies. I think it was just as worthy of a best picture win as "Gandhi".
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 02:13 AM   #698
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

I didn't see the whole tribute to the Hollywood personalities who died in the past year, but someone said Farrah Fawcett was not included. What about Brittany Murphy.
Old March 9 2010, 02:19 AM   #699
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I didn't see the whole tribute to the Hollywood personalities who died in the past year, but someone said Farrah Fawcett was not included. What about Brittany Murphy.
Brittany Murphy was in it (as well as Michael Jackson.) Farrah Fawcett, Bea Arthur and Pernell Roberts were -notably- not in it.

Considering they're more famous for Charlie's Angels, All in the Family, and Bonaza, respectively; it's likely they'll be honored during the Emmys (either they were in the previous ones, or they will be in the next ones in September.)
Old March 9 2010, 02:19 AM   #700
Santa Claus
"Festive"

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Brittany Murphy was in it (as well as Michael Jackson.) Farrah Fawcett, Bea Arthur and Pernell Roberts were -notably- not in it.

Considering they're more famous for Charlie's Angles, All in the Family, and Bonaza, respectively; it's likely they'll be honored during the Emmys.
I was always a fan of Charlie's Parallels myself.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 02:23 AM   #701
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Axiom wrote: View Post

Considering they're more famous for Charlie's Angles, All in the Family, and Bonaza, respectively; it's likely they'll be honored during the Emmys.
I was always a fan of Charlie's Parallels myself.
Don't be obtuse.
Old March 9 2010, 02:24 AM   #702
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Considering they're more famous for Charlie's Angles, All in the Family, and Bonaza, respectively; it's likely they'll be honored during the Emmys (either they were in the previous ones, or they will be in the next ones in September.)
Fawcett was in a quite a bit of films, unlike Jackson who was in one film and cameod in another. Anything to honor that sick freak I guess...

Richard Attenborough, the director of Gandhi, admitted back in the day that he voted for ET as Best Picture.

One thing I always found funny are critics who complain years later about Rocky beating out Network, All the President's Men, and Taxi Driver. What I say to it...after 33 years, people still remember Rocky. It's arguably one of the most popular and memorable Best Picture winners of all-time. Does anyone remember Network and All the President's Men? People remember Taxi Driver because of DeNiro/Scorscee but it's more infamous because it was the film that nutjob Hincley (or whatever his name was) got obsessed with Jode Foster and used that to shoot Reagan.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 02:29 AM   #703
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Fawcett was in a quite a bit of films...
She was, but the work she's most known for is on TV.

Jackson, however, at the very least his music has been used in countless movies over the last 30 years. I'm not saying including him over Fawcett was "right", just that I could see why she was left out. She's most known for her TV stuff.
Old March 9 2010, 02:31 AM   #704
Gingerbread Girl
Fleet Admiral

View Gingerbread Girl's Twitter Profile

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Inevitably, it seems to me, the dullest of the movies ends up winning. Time had it right, liberal with a message seems to be the winning formula, even if only three people saw it.

As for the anti-American, anti-military bent, the filmmakers/writers can take that attitude and cram it up their asses. I didn't like it during the Vietnam era, I don't like it now.

!
Did you actually see The Hurt Locker, or are you just going along with all the right wing crap that gets posted about it? There was nothing pro or anti war/military about it (hell, the lead actually goes back to Iraq because he loves his job!). I don't remember anything anti-American, either. It was just a bunch of soldiers doing their jobs- some can take it, some can't. That was the point of the movie to me. I don't recall a single "We shouldn't be here! America sucks! This war is wrong!" moment in the film.

Righties can take their anti-Hollywood, anti-liberal, anti-anything that isn't pro-American or Christian attitude and cram it up THEIR asses.
Old March 9 2010, 02:31 AM   #705
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Was Jackson actually in any movies. By that I'm talking about actual movies, so Music Videos don't really count. I was surprised that Jackson was included but Fawcett was not.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote