RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,602
Posts: 5,424,835
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 413
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 7 2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Dusty Ayres
Commodore
 
Location: ANS Yamato, Sector 5, Sol System
McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

Walt Disney's new studio chief Rich Ross has made his presence felt by pulling the plug on "Captain Nemo: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," which was in preproduction in Mexico.
TheL.A. Times reports how a few weeks ago the studio spent big bucks on a rewrite by Michael Chabon, and had spent millions hiring workers and building sets in Rosarito Beach. McG dropped out on Monday.

McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Shatinator
Commander
 
Shatinator's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

After the disastor of Terminator: Salvation, um I'm not surprised. McG proably wanted to turn Nemo into Ahab.
Shatinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

Ah well. Think it's about time for a We are Marshalls: Full Throttle movie, actually We are Marshalls was actually pretty decent.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

Very old news. I started a topic about this three months when this news was first released...

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=108467
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

Anything that keeps McG from making another movie is fine by me.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Dusty Ayres
Commodore
 
Location: ANS Yamato, Sector 5, Sol System
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

Forbin wrote: View Post
Anything that keeps McG from making another movie is fine by me.
Me too. The man has zero talent as a movie-maker. Hopefully somebody like James Cameron can do a better version of this classic story-maybe even update it to the present day (the Nautilus is now powered by fusion rather than by nuclear power instead, and Arronax, realizing this, want to get its secrets so that the world can benefit.)
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 07:24 PM   #7
T'Baio
Admiral
 
T'Baio's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

McG is actually a very talented filmmaker. When not being pissed around by film studios and movie stars, he's actually quite a good filmmaker. He does what Michael Bay does, except coherently and without the coke.
__________________
Making my first feature film, Synchronicity
www.synchronicityfilm.ca
IndieGoGo
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Anything that keeps McG from making another movie is fine by me.
Me too. The man has zero talent as a movie-maker. Hopefully somebody like James Cameron can do a better version of this classic story-maybe even update it to the present day (the Nautilus is now powered by fusion rather than by nuclear power instead, and Arronax, realizing this, want to get its secrets so that the world can benefit.)

Something to get Cameron back into the ocean



What I mean by that is more "Abyss" and less "Titanic"
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore
 
Cmndr J Crichton's Avatar
 
Location: Moya
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

They should've not let him make t4 after x3. Sure x3 made a ton of money. However the fan backlash on that movie is so huge, why would a studio give him such a major fan based project again?
__________________
A Digital Frontier to shape the human condition...not just a book plug.
Cmndr J Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 08:07 PM   #10
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

T'Baio wrote: View Post
McG is actually a very talented filmmaker. When not being pissed around by film studios and movie stars, he's actually quite a good filmmaker. He does what Michael Bay does, except coherently and without the coke.
Are you serious?

I admit i enjoyed Charlies Angels 1+2 but only on a superficial level because it was so goofy and funny.

The only advantage he has on Bay is that he didn't discover shaky cam (yet).

Both are popcorn directors and i'd call neither one a good director.. i'm still laughing when it was pointed out to him how that big humancollector robot was able to "sneak" up on that house in the middle of the desert and ambush everyone and he was stunned because he couldn't explain it.

McG should stick to music videos and small franchises where he can do no damage.
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 08:41 PM   #11
T'Baio
Admiral
 
T'Baio's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Are you serious?

I admit i enjoyed Charlies Angels 1+2 but only on a superficial level because it was so goofy and funny.

The only advantage he has on Bay is that he didn't discover shaky cam (yet).

Both are popcorn directors and i'd call neither one a good director...
I am serious. He fucked up on T4, there's no question. He allowed the studio to meddle too much. He allowed a star to come in and shake things up with his demands. Then, to top it all off, he paid too much heed to the internet and freaked out to the bad response the original screenplay made, and halfway through production (and this partly due to the aforementioned studio meddling) started changing things around so as not to piss people off. All horrible, horrible mistakes, and I hope he's learned lessons.

But if you look at the Charlie's Angels movies and his other directing work, the guy has a steady eye. He knows how to construct a through line when it would be easy to go off the rail, and he has an incredible talent for retention of tone and visual key. All things Michael Bay does not have. Look at a McG action sequence and a Bay action sequence, and a McG one is far more visceral in a perceptually retainable yet still kinetic way.

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
i'm still laughing when it was pointed out to him how that big humancollector robot was able to "sneak" up on that house in the middle of the desert and ambush everyone and he was stunned because he couldn't explain it.
Someone should point that out to Captain Craig.
__________________
Making my first feature film, Synchronicity
www.synchronicityfilm.ca
IndieGoGo
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Joel_Kirk
Commodore
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Northern California...
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

Cmndr J Crichton wrote: View Post
They should've not let him make t4 after x3. Sure x3 made a ton of money. However the fan backlash on that movie is so huge, why would a studio give him such a major fan based project again?
Are you talking about X-Men 3?

If so, you're confusing McG with Brett Ratner....
__________________
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

I liked Terminator Salvation. So sue me.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
McG is actually a very talented filmmaker. When not being pissed around by film studios and movie stars, he's actually quite a good filmmaker. He does what Michael Bay does, except coherently and without the coke.
Are you serious?

I admit i enjoyed Charlies Angels 1+2 but only on a superficial level because it was so goofy and funny.
I enjoyed CA 1 on that level, but I thought CA 2 was a mass of disjointed manic hallucinations that was more a collection of bad music videos than coherent movie.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 07:46 PM   #15
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

I really appreciate how McG can turn a great story like We Are Marshall into a merely okay movie.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
disney, mcg

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.