Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 3 2010, 06:32 PM   #91
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours - Scott directing, in 3-D?

make the main protagonist a synthetic & show whats going on from his/her point of view. That could be a new angle.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 08:38 PM   #92
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Interesting idea, but would a non-organic have reason to fear an alien? The first movie certainly doesn't seem to think so, at least not necessarily.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 08:57 PM   #93
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Interesting idea, but would a non-organic have reason to fear an alien? The first movie certainly doesn't seem to think so, at least not necessarily.
I more got the impression that Ash had no sense of self-preservation, rather then he wasn't threatened by the alien. (Consider how blissfully unconcerned he seems to be with his own evident death after Ripley reconnects him.)

It's why he's an android. The crew, including himself, is expendable, and only an android would be cool with that.
Old November 4 2010, 05:29 PM   #94
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

Bishop seemed pretty fearful of them.
Old November 4 2010, 05:41 PM   #95
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Bishop was a different android. Differently wired I mean. I don't think they should have a female protagonist in the prequel just because the Alien franchise created one of the most celebrated ones in cinematic history. It's not a good enough reason on its own and to my mind detracts from the achievement of the first three films. If they create a completely different central character who happens to be female, then fine.
Old November 4 2010, 07:22 PM   #96
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

yeah that's right he said something to Ripley about that(Ash's) model being glitchy or something(lol)

I kinda have this hope/dream whatever that R. Scott will cast Sharlto Copley as a synthetic. I think it would be a role that suits him. And a serious sci-fi role too(anything but that lame funny Yoda alien role for MIB3 thats being rumored.)
Old December 10 2010, 04:33 PM   #97
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours

3 new characters in the prequel.

David the android, "an earlier version of the Bishop 341-B."
Cool. I love the android element.

Vickers, "a fortysomething, tough-but-sexy woman," hopefully to be played by Michelle Yeoh
Engineer 1, and we suspect this will be some type of new alien, since the magazine's sources claim he will be played by a 6'5" actor and will be entirely CGI.
an all CGI character? I guess a Jar Jar binks-type stand in for Ridley Scott...
http://io9.com/5709710/ridley-scotts...new-characters
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 10:04 PM   #98
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/...l-hr-giger-art

HR Giger may return. Cool.
Old December 20 2010, 11:27 PM   #99
Kegg
Rear Admiral

H.R. Giger is essential.

It's just not Alien to me without Giger. Moreso even then Ridley Scott.

So I chalk this up as pretty good news if he goes through with it.
Old December 21 2010, 08:45 PM   #100
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

David the android, "an earlier version of the Bishop 341-B."
Sharlto for the role please! unless he's supposed to look like the old Bishop, but wouldnt L. Henrickson now be too old for the part?

also "David"? the same name as the creepy boybot from AI?
Old January 15 2011, 01:16 AM   #101
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Here's the latest word from Collider:

Ever since it was announced that Ridley Scott was returning to the Alien franchise with a new prequel, rumors have run rampant regarding the project. Today, it looks like many of the rumors will finally be put to rest, as a large amount of information about the project has surfaced. Ridley Scott will indeed direct the film, titled Prometheus, though it’s no longer a proper prequel to the Alien films. Scott explains:
“While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien’s DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn’t be more pleased to have found the singular tale I’d been searching for, and finally return to this genre that’s so close to my heart.”
Damon Lindelof (Lost, Cowboys and Aliens) wrote the screenplay, and Noomi Rapace is apparently set to star in the lead role of Elizabeth Shaw. We previously told you that Charlize Theron was mulling over the other big lead in the film (Vickers), and now Deadline confirms that Theron is circling that role along with Angelina Jolie. Prometheus is set to be released on March 9, 2012.

Given the amount of rumors that have piled up about this project over the past year, it’s nice to finally get some solid confirmation from the filmmakers. Scott had previously talked about there being two prequel films, both in 3D, but it’s currently not known if any of his previous comments about the project still stand given the transformation it has gone through.
Lindelof’s re-write of the script is apparently what got all the parties involved excited about a new direction for the film, and it looks like they were busy developing this new idea while everyone in the blogosphere was still speculating on what little information we had. 20th Century Fox will release Prometheus on March 9, 2012. Expect more casting info sooner rather than later, with filming probably expected to get underway sometime soon in order to make that release date.
So... it's no longer a prequel to Alien? That's a bit surprising. Well, that doesn't really bother me, as long as the finished product is worthwhile. In any case, I'll definitely be checking it out.

Also, Noomi Rapace, and (possibly) Charlize Theron? Sounds good to me.

Last edited by Don't Eat Yellow Snow; January 15 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 01:25 AM   #102
Tulin
Vice Admiral

As long as xenos appear it is still an Alien film.

I am both happy and a little bit nervous. Happy because for YEARS I have wanted a story set in the Alien universe that did NOT involve simply rehashing ideas and scenarios from the first two films. What this franchise did NOT need was another film filled with nameless, faceless, bald black men running down corridors being chased by the creatures about whom we couldn't give two flying fucks.

Since "Aliens" I have wanted just another film set in that universe that was more about the mythology and the behind the scenes stuff with WY and the military and WHY they want the xenos and what they would do with them. I have bought and read ALL of the spin off novels(some GREAT, some not so great)and while they are fun and informative, nothing compares to a movie that is canon.

This has the potential to be something REALLY special.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 07:43 AM   #103
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

This isn't a prequel to aliens, an original sci-fi film. This would indicate to me that Scott wasn't pleased with any of the drafts people were turning in and decided instead to make something entirely different. I think I'm kind of interested in this now. Plus that it stars Noomi Raplace is an added bonus.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 08:09 AM   #104
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm not sure if I'm excited or disappointed. I was really liking the idea of an Alien prequel.
Old January 15 2011, 08:13 AM   #105
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm actually more interested in this project now than I was before.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote