Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 17 2012, 09:30 AM   #541
xortex
Commodore

Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

She doesn't even look real let alone the suits and all the 2001 gaping makes me sick.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 11:04 AM   #542
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I don't think 2001 is the movie you think it is.
Old January 17 2012, 05:07 PM   #543
xortex
Commodore

Did I forget the word rip off?
Old January 17 2012, 05:13 PM   #544
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Are we talking about Stanley Kubrick's 2001: ASpace Odyssey? Yeah, other than space travel, I don't see the correlation between that, Prometheus and the original Alien film.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 05:24 PM   #545
xortex
Commodore

I find it hard to blame the thing that's trying to kill them with all that gaping.
Old January 17 2012, 05:59 PM   #546
davejames
Vice Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
Trubinator wrote: View Post
I still don't know how I feel about the suits. The one in that production still looks overly colorful and cheesy for a movie of this type.
Yeah I don't image them as something pre Alien which had much bulkier realistic suits.
I agree the new suits are a bit sleeker than I would like them, but this is also clearly a more advanced research ship we're talking about, where the Nostromo was just a grungy ore mining vessel.

It kinda makes sense that the mining suits would be a lot more heavy duty. Plus a mining company probably wouldn't want to splurge on the fancier, more expensive suits anyway.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 06:55 PM   #547
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
I still don't know how I feel about the suits. The one in that production still looks overly colorful and cheesy for a movie of this type.
Yeah I don't image them as something pre Alien which had much bulkier realistic suits.
I agree the new suits are a bit sleeker than I would like them, but this is also clearly a more advanced research ship we're talking about, where the Nostromo was just a grungy ore mining vessel.

It kinda makes sense that the mining suits would be a lot more heavy duty. Plus a mining company probably wouldn't want to splurge on the fancier, more expensive suits anyway.
I take issue more with the color scheme than the design. This is a movie using a very dark palette, and the use of a suit like that seems more fitting to AVATAR than ALIEN. I'll wait and see though because I know production stills can be deceptive and they'll likely touch everything up in post.
Old January 17 2012, 08:13 PM   #548
xortex
Commodore

Fact remains it's still being written by the same hypocrites who are trying to undo TOS. I was hoping for something more intelligent from Scott with more science fiction rather than horror but it's coming from exploiters of the genre - hired guns.
Old January 17 2012, 08:56 PM   #549
davejames
Vice Admiral

Sigh.
Old January 17 2012, 09:14 PM   #550
Mike Farley
Commodore

Because, of course, Ridley Scott has no control over the scripts of the movies he makes. Maybe after he's racked up a few more years in the business...
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 09:26 PM   #551
nvek86
Commander

I take issue more with the color scheme than the design. This is a movie using a very dark palette, and the use of a suit like that seems more fitting to AVATAR than ALIEN. I'll wait and see though because I know production stills can be deceptive and they'll likely touch everything up in post.
The colours could appear more muted in the final film. I think I read somewhere that they have to more lighting (and maybe brighter colours), because they are filming in 3D. The dark atmosphere associated with "Alien" will then be achieved in post-production
Old January 17 2012, 10:43 PM   #552
xortex
Commodore

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Because, of course, Ridley Scott has no control over the scripts of the movies he makes. Maybe after he's racked up a few more years in the business...
I'm sure they gave him exactly what he thought he wanted, unfortunately.
Old January 17 2012, 11:56 PM   #553
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

nvek86 wrote: View Post
The colours could appear more muted in the final film. I think I read somewhere that they have to more lighting (and maybe brighter colours), because they are filming in 3D. The dark atmosphere associated with "Alien" will then be achieved in post-production
Yep - the 3d cameras require a lot of light.
Old January 18 2012, 12:02 AM   #554
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I guess they do look kind of... colorful and Star Trekky for the Alien universe. But they seemed to fit perfectly well into that moody trailer (as did the sets and other things people are complaining about), so I don't think it'll be an issue.
Old January 18 2012, 12:10 AM   #555
Tom Servo
Commodore

xortex wrote: View Post
Mike Farley wrote: View Post
I'm sure they gave him exactly what he thought he wanted, unfortunately.
But you know better?

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote