Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 26 2011, 01:17 PM   #391
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Trubinator wrote: View Post
The entire plot of the movie was recently leaked online. The movie has some INSANE ties to the Alien series.
Its almost certainly fake because of its ties to the Alien series. If its the same synopsis as i read, then yeah its a great idea for a story. But its probably not the one we are going to see next year in Prometheus.

It's easy to confuse the reel world (sci fi, art, what have you) with the real world ($$$$ game) especially when you're altruistic like he is. The guys at bad robot and lost are scam artists to me - good ones. Hey, I hope not, but I don't care.
Personally i find the people behind nuTrek to be piss poor writers and a lousy director, all of whom favour flash over any substance what so ever. But that doesn't make them scam artists.

They were paid to write a script and produce a movie. They did so. It may not be to my tastes or yours but they did the job they were hired to do. To be scam artists they would have had to have been hired to make the film, then disappeared with the money never to be seen again.

Also you seem to have some bizarre ideas about the people you do like. All television and cinema revolves around money. Its called Show Business for a reason.
Old December 26 2011, 01:24 PM   #392
scnj
Captain

I might be confusing usernames, but I'm pretty sure this is the same guy who thinks he invented Firefly in the form of a Deep Space 9 script and Joss Whedon stole it from Ira Behr.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 01:36 PM   #393
lennier1
Commodore

Trubinator wrote: View Post
I guess it's possible that was a fake but personally I loved that story. I hope it turns out to be true.
Doesn't seem like Lindelof's work. It didn't contain nearly enough of the usual bullshit that JJ's cabal members consider plot elements.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 08:05 PM   #394
davejames
Vice Admiral

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Luckily the trailer proved this "leaked" plot to be fake.
Holy crap. Just read it, and I can't believe anyone would seriously believe that was real. It's convoluted beyond belief, the scifi is way too high-concept (Wormholes? Star Beasts? Seriously?), and it doesn't feel remotely connected to the gritty, atmospheric, down to earth world that Ridley Scott created in Alien.

It reads more like a bad scifi novel or something. There might be a couple things that it guessed right, but the general style and tone just feels COMPLETELY off.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 12:11 AM   #395
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

I read one supposed summary, and I kind of wish I didn't. I've been trying to obsessively follow this whilst also remain as spoiler free as possible. So now I kind of read one that might have given away a few things I wish I hadn't if they are true. Trying to forget!

Is it June yet?!
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 12:59 AM   #396
xortex
Commodore

scnj wrote: View Post
I might be confusing usernames, but I'm pretty sure this is the same guy who thinks he invented Firefly in the form of a Deep Space 9 script and Joss Whedon stole it from Ira Behr.
No, it was 'Serenity' from a DS9 script of mine. Though I just noticed it's also the friggin' plot/premise of Blake's Seven - go figure.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 01:25 AM   #397
RoJoHen
Awesome

I made my mom and sister watch this trailer while home for Christmas this weekend. My mom thought it was great and recognized the derelict ship from "Alien." My sister thought it looked interesting and scary, and then I found out she had never seen any of the "Alien" movies at all! I found that wholly unacceptable, so I made her watch the first two films with me. She didn't like the first one (which I understand; it hasn't aged particularly well), but she thought the second one was great.
Old December 27 2011, 01:41 AM   #398
davejames
Vice Admiral

Alien hasn't aged well? I just watched the blu-ray version for the first time last night, and thought it looked spectacular. Everything from the incredibly detailed ship to the eerily believable alien planet could have held up perfectly on screen today. If it wasn't for a couple, obviously painted matte shots, you'd never think it was made in 1979. Hell, even the actors don't really look like they're from the 70s (at least not as bad as the actors in Star Wars or ST:TMP do).

Obviously it's a bit arty and deliberately paced, but no more than, say, The Sixth Sense was.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 01:45 AM   #399
RoJoHen
Awesome

Visually, it has aged just fine. But the storytelling is slooooooooooooooow. It feels like it takes a half hour in the beginning just to wake the crew up! It's an okay movie, and I realize there is a certain mood and tone that Ridley Scott is trying to accomplish, but I just don't think it works that well anymore.
Old December 27 2011, 02:48 AM   #400
arch101
Fleet Captain

Hasn't aged well? Alien is a classic film and a work of art. It doesn't age. It just is.
Now, The Seven Ups, THAT has aged. (a bit)
Old December 27 2011, 03:48 AM   #401
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

There is more than enough stuff in that leaked fake script that seems to jive with what we see in the trailer. It may not be completely accurate, but I suspect it's closer than we think. And it smells exactly like the stuff the Lost factory churns out.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 02:32 PM   #402
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

The film Alien followed the rules of a true thriller. Aside from one shocking scene, which the cast aside from John Hurt were not prepared for, most of the horror was off-screen. This makes it more scary than on-screen. It was a classic suspense film. Many people want action from the start because that's what films do nowadays. Personally I like the slow burn, and since Alien is considered an all time classic, that would be the majority view.
Old December 27 2011, 05:14 PM   #403
Saul
Rear Admiral

All this Alien talk makes me want to watch the movie again. I thinks I wills!
Old December 27 2011, 06:18 PM   #404
RoJoHen
Awesome

Crassmass Eve wrote: View Post
The film Alien followed the rules of a true thriller. Aside from one shocking scene, which the cast aside from John Hurt were not prepared for, most of the horror was off-screen. This makes it more scary than on-screen. It was a classic suspense film. Many people want action from the start because that's what films do nowadays. Personally I like the slow burn, and since Alien is considered an all time classic, that would be the majority view.
I wasn't really concerned with getting a bunch of people on my side or anything. I understand that it's a classic film and that my opinion is probably in the minority, but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

Horror movies have never done much for me in the first place. For one, they don't scare me. Ever. I was never held in any kind of suspense. I have no problem with slow movies, but "Alien" is one that just hasn't grown well on me. Every time I watch it I find new things to criticize, and I like it less. The sequel "Aliens," on the other hand, I find new things to love about it every time.
Old December 27 2011, 06:21 PM   #405
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Not sure what you're arguing about. Are you saying you must have the last word? I can play that for days.