Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old December 25 2011, 10:53 PM   #376
Tom Servo
Commodore

Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

xortex wrote: View Post
It's easy to confuse the reel world (sci fi, art, what have you) with the real world ($$$$ game) especially when you're altruistic like he is. The guys at bad robot and lost are scam artists to me - good ones. Hey, I hope not, but I don't care.
So essentially they are scam artists because they aren't writing what you want them to? Ah huh.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 10:59 PM   #377
xortex
Commodore

Nobody knows nothin', yet except them since their checks cleared - caching. From what I could see in the trailer there's alot of shooting 'em up and explosions so I'm out.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 11:08 PM   #378
JD
Admiral

Dude it's the first teaser for a movie that's coming out for over 6 months. The first trailers almost never show anything of substance. And why the hell do you keep bring up JJ Abrams and Bad Robot? They have absolutely nothing to do with this. Damon has written for him, but that really has absolutely nothing to do with Prometheus. And I seriously don't understand what your issue is with Abrams anyway. Sure you might not like shows and movies he's made, but I still don't understand how that brings about this personal grudge you seem to hold against him. There are alot of filmmakers who's stuff I don't like, but that doesn't necessarily make them some sort of embodiment of evil.
Old December 25 2011, 11:23 PM   #379
xortex
Commodore

Isn't Lindhoff one of the writers of the film - the same guy who wrote Trek '09. Isn't this a Star Trek bullitin board on the planet Earth in the Sol galaxy?
Old December 25 2011, 11:27 PM   #380
Tom Servo
Commodore

Nobody knows nothin', yet except them since their checks cleared - caching. From what I could see in the trailer there's alot of shooting 'em up and explosions so I'm out.

Well duh, its their job...they write films...they get paid for it, its how they make their living.

You do know there were flamethrowers in Alien right...and even an explosion or two.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 11:32 PM   #381
xortex
Commodore

I have nothing against flamethrowers or explosions, though horror is not my thing, but I thought you said it was branching out from that and trying to do an exploration thing. So are they exploring with semi-automatic weapons and flamethrowers or what? Just curious. Sounds exploitational to cover a weak story. Concept is King. Now I am repeating myself. It's easy to forget too.
Old December 25 2011, 11:38 PM   #382
JD
Admiral

What, explorers aren't allowed to arm themselves when going into a potentially dangerous situation. And just because it might have some people shooting guns and using flamethrowers doesn't mean it can't be an intelligent movie. There are plenty of action movies out there that have people shooting guns in them, but still have an in depth intelligent story at the same time. One doesn't necessarily cancel out the other. And guns and flamethrowers don't make something horror.
Isn't Lindhoff one of the writers of the film - the same guy who wrote Trek '09. Isn't this a Star Trek bullitin board on the planet Earth in the Sol galaxy?
He didn't write ST'09, he was a producer. And he is co-writer on the next Star Trek movie, along with Roberto Orci, and Alex Kurtzman, the guys who did write the first one.
Old December 25 2011, 11:49 PM   #383
xortex
Commodore

Dead aliens are easier to explore, but I just wish, like he said, the alien concept would be isolated a little bit more and put in perspective. Instead it just seems like the opposite. We're going out to space to be worse than the aliens and still be seen in a good light by the gods and Prometheus. Style over substance.
Old December 26 2011, 12:15 AM   #384
JD
Admiral

I really don't understand how you are getting all of this from a trailer that doesn't even feature a single full sentence of dialogue in it. Like I said, this was just the first teaser, it wasn't meant to do anything more than introduce the movie to people, it doesn't tell us a single thing about the story, or how what we saw even relates to....well.....anything. And how exactly did you get the thing about us being worse than the aliens, we don't know know who does what in the movie, we don't even know who the aggressors are.
And you still haven't explained what your issues are with JJAbrams.
Old December 26 2011, 12:24 AM   #385
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

put in perspective.
I agree. Perspective is good. Very good. I highly recommend it.
Old December 26 2011, 01:24 AM   #386
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Lindelof. Bulletin. WTF are you talking about?
Old December 26 2011, 01:54 AM   #387
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Michael Fassbender is going to be that mysterious bald figure on the right. You heard it here first.
And I suspect whatever happened to him is designed to turn him into a Space Jockey so he can pilot the ship. This probably be a vague reference to the title of the film. This same thing that converts him most likely causes the crew to go wonky and kill each other or whatever. This may not be the same planet or the same ship, but this incident will be enough to wet the Company's appetite for this technology and lead them to divert ships to ANY location where they get signs of it... And THAT is where Alien ties in.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 09:09 AM   #388
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

The entire plot of the movie was recently leaked online. The movie has some INSANE ties to the Alien series.
Old December 26 2011, 09:37 AM   #389
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Luckily the trailer proved this "leaked" plot to be fake.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 10:18 AM   #390
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I guess it's possible that was a fake but personally I loved that story. I hope it turns out to be true.