Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 27 2011, 11:41 AM   #196
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours - Scott directing, in 3-D?

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
They ought to have remained separate franchises - unfortunately, there was cross pollination. I blame Monsanto...
I dont mind the franchises being linked, i just think they ought to have hired a director capable of producing a decent film.

Unfortunately they gave it to Paul WS "How can i shoehorn my wife into this while crapping over an established franchise" Anderson.
You do realise any good director, like Ridley Scott and any decent actors, like Sigourney Weaver, would have had no truck with this crossover no matter how wonderful the fanboys think it might be? It was a pisspoor idea, incredibly badly realised, and anyone with any sense wouldn't mention it in a Ridley Scott thread.
Old November 27 2011, 01:22 PM   #197
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Looks pretty sweet. Just watched the first 2 movies. Surprised at how well the first one has held up after all these years.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2011, 01:52 PM   #198
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Deckerd wrote: View Post
They ought to have remained separate franchises - unfortunately, there was cross pollination. I blame Monsanto...
I dont mind the franchises being linked, i just think they ought to have hired a director capable of producing a decent film.

Unfortunately they gave it to Paul WS "How can i shoehorn my wife into this while crapping over an established franchise" Anderson.
You do realise any good director, like Ridley Scott and any decent actors, like Sigourney Weaver, would have had no truck with this crossover no matter how wonderful the fanboys think it might be? It was a pisspoor idea, incredibly badly realised, and anyone with any sense wouldn't mention it in a Ridley Scott thread.
Get over it.

Virtually any idea can work given the right talent behind it and an Alien and Predator crossover could have worked as well. There is nothing intrinsically bad with a universe sharing two alien species. What is lacking and has always been lacking filmwise is anyone being involved having the ability to mesh the two in a logical, well crafted way.

And as for not having the sense to avoid mentioning it in a Ridley Scott thread, i'm so terribly sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities by mentioning a film you don't like. Perhaps you should go and have a lie down lest someone mention Alien Vs Predator 2.

Last edited by Silent_Bob; November 27 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Silent_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2011, 03:20 PM   #199
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Alien Vs Predator 2

ETA: I've read that the original comic book crossover was good, but not having seen it, I can't say. All I do know is that the movie crossovers were barely adequate and piss poor, in that order.
Old November 27 2011, 03:45 PM   #200
Whofan
Fleet Captain

I think the big difference between the film and the comic/video game incarnations of AVP is that the latter is often set in the future like the Alien films, whereas the films were set 'today'.

The only real connection between the films and the original comic, I think, is that the heroine-who teams up with a Predator who dies-is made a honorary Predator and the Predators using a captured Queen to create Aliens to hunt.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2011, 07:17 PM   #201
davejames
Vice Admiral

Alien Vs Predator 2

ETA: I've read that the original comic book crossover was good, but not having seen it, I can't say. All I do know is that the movie crossovers were barely adequate and piss poor, in that order.
The original comic was quite good. It was set on a very eerie and atmospheric desert planet, and had a nice mix of horror and action like in the first two Alien films.

I can easily see how a quality director like Scott or Cameron could have made a scary, stylish, kickass movie out of it, that would have felt like a real movie and not just a marketing gimmick like the AvP movies.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2011, 08:04 PM   #202
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Daneel wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Daneel, as the thread creator, would you object to me changing the title of this thread to "Prometheus: Ridley Scott Returns to Sci-Fi?"
Not at all.
Groovy. Thanks.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 01:31 AM   #203
xortex
Commodore

Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Seems like he's eating 2001:Space Odessy there with the the open ended premise, and any other unassuming hapless franchises that come along.

Last edited by xortex; November 28 2011 at 02:37 AM.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 08:34 AM   #204
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

http://www.fusedfilm.com/2011/11/hi-...ts-prometheus/

There be Hi-Res pics here.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 09:09 AM   #205
Candlelight
Admiral

These images have astronauts exploring a mysterious alien world that will reveal the origins of mankind on Earth.
Oh god no... I had high hopes for this movie but now it sounds less so.

Might as well go watch Mission to Mars.
Old December 1 2011, 09:12 AM   #206
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

And as for not having the sense to avoid mentioning it in a Ridley Scott thread, i'm so terribly sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities by mentioning a film you don't like. Perhaps you should go and have a lie down lest someone mention Alien Vs Predator 2.
You don't have to apologise to me. A board-wide apology might be in order though. However any perceived lack of cinematic taste in talking about these unrelated films lies entirely on you.
Old December 1 2011, 10:26 AM   #207
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Since i have no self control when it comes to spoiling films, i read the supposed plot summary for Prometheus that've been lurking around.

If its accurate then i'm pretty impressed. The main plot is interesting enough by itself and the links to the Alien franchise pretty much answer every loose end generated by the first film.

Crassmass Eve wrote: View Post
You don't have to apologise to me. A board-wide apology might be in order though. However any perceived lack of cinematic taste in talking about these unrelated films lies entirely on you.
Cinematic taste or lack thereof would infer that i've said anything positive about either of the AVP movies. But hey feel free to keep overreacting to the existence of two bad films.
Old December 1 2011, 10:26 AM   #208
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Didn't read it but you should put it in code anyway.
Old December 1 2011, 12:03 PM   #209
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

It's hard to spoil something that's a prequel.
Old December 1 2011, 12:05 PM   #210
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Of course you're right. The whole film will be so predictable.