Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 5 2010, 06:25 PM   #16
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Iron Man: Armored Adventures gets 2nd Season

Christopher wrote: View Post
So now we know Iron Man and Wolverine and the X-Men are getting renewals, but no word on the one I want back the most, The Spectacular Spider-Man.
TSS-M is the only one of them I've seen a whole episode of. And I think it's really, really good. I'm not in the least bothered about the next movie being set in Spidey's schooldays, as this show has shown just how well such a setting can work for the webslinger (not to mention the fact that back when I were a lad, that's where the comics were set ...).

As for IM: AA, well, renewal of any animated series based on a superhero can only be good for the genre.
Old March 6 2010, 02:10 AM   #17
thumbtack
Commodore

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
especially since they have Young Justice in the pipeline.
With what lineup?

thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2010, 03:41 AM   #18
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Cmndr J Crichton wrote: View Post
/\I'm surprised they didn't do that considering the success of the first Iron Man Movie. Tony was never a teen when he wore the armor. If they needed a kid to connect to their target audience, why not have a teen sidekick, a genius like Tony was at his age, repairing armor, and occasionally getting Iron Man out of trouble. I never watched this show because of this. Spider-man is different. He was always a freshman in high school when he became a superhero.
I could immerse myself in this if it was about teen Tony being Tony Stark's grandson.

The first Tony/IM would have been active in the early 60's, took some schrapnel in Korea and fought cold-war armoured Russians. Had an affair with a mysterious Russian spy named Natasha, who became pregnant and left the baby with Tony in exchange for her freedom...

Tony's son, Arnold Stark, grew up an indolent playboy who turned SI over to Obidiah Stane when his father disappeared.

Arnold's son, the young Tony, discovers some of his grandfather's armour as well as an automated design and manufacturing facilty. At 16, he's nowhere near his grandfather's equal as far as designing micro-circuitry or weapons, but he has that knack with computers and software that all teenage comic book heroes are born with. He updates his grandfather's computers and software and starts creating new armours, with "thinking outside the box" designs.

Meanwhile the Mandarin's grandson is looking for the rings, Stane is turning SI into Evil Inc, and a series of villians are attacking industrial facilities and stealing technology, using armour based on the original Iron Man's old foes, like the Crimson Dynamo, the Melter, Whiplash etc.

Now use that as the hidden backstory, the show could be written pretty much as it was in the first season but reveal all of this bit by bit as young Tony defeats various foes and sniffs out the mystery of his grandfather's disappearance.

The show would only have to be slightly different than it was, but I'd have been totally immersed.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2010, 04:06 AM   #19
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

thumbtack wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
especially since they have Young Justice in the pipeline.
With what lineup?.
Unofficial word is that it's Nightwing, Connor Kent, Impulse, Arrowette, Aqualad, and Miss Martian (who may be renamed Martian Girl for the 'toon). Character design sheets for Arrowette and Aqualad have popped up online.
Old March 6 2010, 04:18 AM   #20
Christopher
Writer

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
The show would only have to be slightly different than it was, but I'd have been totally immersed.
I find that statement so contradictory. If the stories are the same aside from some trivial bits of backstory, why would your immersion level be so much different?

And a guy in the '60s being able to invent technology that can hold its own against modern bad-guy tech? I wouldn't buy that. Technology has advanced so far in the past 40 years that the very idea would be ludicrous. And it would diminish the show's Tony by making him more an imitator than an innovator. This version of Tony may be younger, but he's still the same person, the same driven genius, not a namesake two generations removed.

Also, your version would kind of simplify the Stane character. The show's version is more ambiguous, therefore more interesting.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2010, 04:18 AM   #21
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

"Arrowette"? ARROWETTE?!?!! For gawd's sake, they couldn't have at least named her "Flechette"?
Old March 6 2010, 04:28 AM   #22
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Oh, Christopher. No it's not contradictory, it's the 5 minutes or so each episode that adds to the season story arc. The individual episode plots don't really have to change, but the season arc does.

The 1960's armour couldn't even exist with today's real life technology, you couldn't put that much power into a briefcase. The power source and transistors are what make's it unique and that still stands the test of time. The Tony depicted right now as a "driven teen genius" is ridiculously far-fetched, to the point where his character isn't believable and doesn't add to the story, it detracts from it. The suspension of disbelief has to include everything about Tony, which doesn't make him a character that we can identify with.

But it's fine if you like the show better as it is, you watch it and I'll enjoy Sonic X instead.
Old March 6 2010, 02:58 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

The idea of a teenager being a genius is much, much less far-fetched than the idea of the Iron Man armor being viable in the 1960s (or today). Teen geniuses and child prodigies are a real phenomenon, documented throughout history. And I find the show's portrayal of Tony as a prodigy to be very believable and true-to-life. He's accustomed to being home-schooled and learning at his own pace, and finds conventional school to be tedious beyond belief. That's very realistic. The only unrealistic part is that he's in high school at all; realistically, a genius of his level should be earning his second graduate degree by his age. But in-show, the decision was made for the sake of developing his social skills; his father felt that having him be among kids his own age was more important. I can buy that as a justification. It's still a lot more credible than the Mandarin's ring powers or the Living Laser.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 05:37 AM   #24
cylkoth
Commodore

Well, the very long wait is nearly over. Season 2 will finally arrive on Nicktoons, Wed July 13 @ 8:30pm EST. Marvel Animation Age has posted some non spoilery images from the new season, along with a brief description for s2.
http://marvel.toonzone.net/news.php?...ullnews&id=676
Old July 9 2011, 08:05 AM   #25
Trevacious
Captain

Teen Tony?! Damn you, Terry Kavanagh.
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 02:55 PM   #26
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I still haven't seen the first season.

Glad that Iron Man, even a teen Tony, is getting a second animated season for the first time.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote