RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,701
Members: 24,832
Currently online: 436
Newest member: eltonlight

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

View Poll Results: Which makes for the best cover for a new Concordance?
4 7.14%
1 1.79%
4 7.14%
24 42.86%
11 19.64%
9 16.07%
3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 21 2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
A Little Something I'm Playing With...

About fifteen years ago, I was one of the contributing artists for the then-new edition of Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance. Suffice it to say, a lot of folks were sorely disappointed by that edition, which not only ignored Bjo's notes and suggestions about layout, but left out the vast majority of the fan artwork that had previously been approved for the new edition. Personally, I had over twenty pieces approved, and only one made it in, shrunk down to the size of a postage stamp.

Then, the publisher went bankrupt, and presumably took the Concordance with it.

Or so we thought. All they took is the rights to a hard copy version (and even that might be open to debate). As far as an online version, or something along those lines, Bjo still retains the rights.

So, I've been pestering her for the past few weeks to let me help in getting a new, proper version up and running in .pdf form, probably for a download-on-demand situation. She doesn't want to deal with this until after the holidays, so please, don't bug her; that's my job.

Instead, I'd like to get some opinions on some cover ideas I've been playing with.

Granted, one of the versions is strictly for me, and not under serious consideration by anyone, but some folks might get a kick out of it.

I've also provided the means for those who don't like any of them to make your own submission.

(Please indicate you're doing your own by choosing this one in the poll.)

Links for larger versions of the above pics coming soon...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: A Little Something I'm Playing With...

Comments are, as always, welcome.
Old December 22 2009, 12:44 AM   #3
Daddy Todd
Captain

The Concordance is a thing of beauty, which should be available to fans everywhere. Good luck getting it back off the ground!

Maybe it could even be "enhanced" to include write-ups of "Trials & Tribble-ations," "Flashback" and the 2009 movie (for "Spock Prime.")
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Albertese
Commodore

As for cover details, the show wasn't about the Enterprise shooting stuff. Or really about space stations. So I voted for the third image. However, if it has to be about shooting stuff, I would have voted for four. I always liked the blue more than the red.

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 05:10 PM   #5
USS Jack Riley
Captain

I voted for #4, not because of the military intent, but because of the color balance it gives to the Enterprise and the "pop" effect it gives to the book (I hate using that term since it is overused, but it has been a long day and I didn't feel like coming up with a new one).

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Ziz
Commodore

I went with #5 because the low angle shot is so overused regardless of firing or not - you've got 4 versions right here - but if I had to pick a low angle one, it would be #4 also.
Old December 22 2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

I voted for number 7 cus Star Trek has been around for 40= years so to have 1 ship from just one of the series didnt seem to fit IMHO

Cool covers though numbers 1-6
Old December 22 2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Rattrap
Commander

I did several pieces for that edition, with three or four that actually made print. It was a big thrill to make an appearance in such a prestigious piece, and as you say, something of a disappointment that the illustrations were so small.

Please keep us up to date on this project. It was the first, and still the best, of its kind.
Old December 22 2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
I voted for number 7 cus Star Trek has been around for 40= years so to have 1 ship from just one of the series didnt seem to fit IMHO

Cool covers though numbers 1-6
The deliniation of rights, though, limits the Concordance to TOS, TAS, and those works that directly relate to them, which means the first seven movies and those episodes from the spinoff shows that crossover or connect with TOS or TAS. So, we're pretty much stuck with either dealing with the original Enterprise or the refit.

You want more complete coverage, try the Encyclopedia. Mike and Denise Okuda will thank you.
Old December 22 2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

USS Jack Riley wrote: View Post
I voted for #4, not because of the military intent, but because of the color balance it gives to the Enterprise and the "pop" effect it gives to the book (I hate using that term since it is overused, but it has been a long day and I didn't feel like coming up with a new one).
I think that fourth one has the advantage of being the same image that was on the cover of "The Making of Star Trek" for over forty years, so it has the innate familiarity, plus the implication of "this is the real deal, kids."

Of course, this whole exercise of using a photo for the cover might have to be dumped anyway, in favor of something fan drawn, maybe even something not readily identifiable as the Enterprise (a registered trademark of your friends at CBS/Paramount).

In any case, until the C&D comes down, let's have some fun...
Old December 22 2009, 11:41 PM   #11
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Here are those links to the larger pics....

Last edited by Captain Robert April; December 23 2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old December 23 2009, 01:40 AM   #12
Jamee999
Commander

View Jamee999's Twitter Profile

Was bored, so I made this.

Old December 23 2009, 04:10 AM   #13
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That's the best yet.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 06:52 AM   #14
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Put an outline around the insignia in the middle, and I think you've got something.
Old December 23 2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

phew! With a thead title like: "A Little Something I'm Playing With... ", I was afraid to take a look!

I want to look closer at no. 6, but the link isn't working for me... arg.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote