Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 27 2010, 01:48 AM   #1
23skidoo
Admiral

Max Headroom coming to DVD in August

Here's some unexpected news. Thanks to a new deal between Shout Factory (which has become the go-to people for releasing obscure TV shows) and Warner Bros, the 1980s Max Headroom series is coming to DVD! So reports TV Shows on DVD:

http://www.TVShowsOnDVD.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=13399

No word whether this will include the original UK pilot movie. And don't expect a Blu-Ray, though apparently the show will be remastered (though not in the Star Trek sense).

That pretty much leaves Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman and Batman as my DVD Holy Grails. (Well, Holmes & Yo-Yo, too, but I keep that under my hat.)

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Max Headroom coming to DVD in August

About frickin' time...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2010, 05:11 AM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Oh joy! This is long overdue.

(And my personal holy grail for DVD is Robocop: The Series.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Hopefully there will be some blipverts soon for this.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Got an e-mail from tvshowsondvd.com about this. Which does not happen much any more, most of the shows I want are long ago on DVD.

My main memories of Max are from the commercials. I use to rent a VHS copy of the UK pilot from my local video store as a teen all the time. I always wanted to see the rest. Another reason is I am a fan of Amanda Pays from "The Flash".
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2010, 12:31 PM   #6
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Thanks for the great news. I will be getting this.
I watched the original and that had some influence on me as now I work everyday with professional broadcast TV cameras and journalists on-location.
I also need to pick up last year release of MTV's The State complete series DVD.
I will also keep my fingers crossed for a proper OCN film telecine remaster to HD of Batman 1960s series on Blu-ray.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Max Headroom!

Could there possibly be hope for Doctor Doctor...?
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2010, 07:56 PM   #8
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Hells YEZ!!!!

Christopher, I don't get why you want the Robocop series. At least according to my memory, that show blew.

Robo goes out, gets easily, ridiculously trashed, gets fixed, saves the day. Wash, rinse, repeat. From what I recall, it had NONE of the edginess that the first, classic movie had.

I have to ask, why do you want this show?
Old February 27 2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

stonester1 wrote: View Post
Christopher, I don't get why you want the Robocop series. At least according to my memory, that show blew.
To each his own. I can understand why others might've found it cheesy, but I loved it. I loved the cast, I loved the music, and I felt that, despite the occasional excessive corniness, the writing struck an appropriate balance of humor and drama. The show got something that most RoboCop sequels missed: that it's supposed to be a comedy.

True, it was less "edgy," if by that you mean less violent, but that kind of "edge" I can personally do without. RoboCop was a character who became extremely popular with children, so if you ask me it would've been irresponsible not to tone down the violence. (I recall being disturbed by how many small children were in the theater when I went to see the exceptionally violent, R-rated RoboCop 2.) Besides, it was simply more believable; proper police procedure is to use minimum necessary force, and Robo is programmed to follow proper procedure. One cool thing about the series is that its executive producer, Stephen Downing, was an ex-cop, so its treatment of the police force was more realistic (within the context of the fantasy and satire) than what the movies gave us.

I also think the series made better use of RoboCop as a character than other sequels. The second and third movies just kind of gave up on the character and tried to marginalize him, focusing on other characters around him. The Prime Directives miniseries ignored what made him unique and just made him a stock wisecracking tough cop. But the series really explored him as a tragic figure, a being who still had the memories of Alex Murphy but was something fundamentally different, a man who missed his family but felt they had to believe he was dead and go on without him, a moral individual who had to struggle against the often unethical OCP imperatives that restricted his behavior. And Richard Eden did a fantastic job playing him, conveying so much with only the tiniest hint of expression or body language.

Old February 27 2010, 09:15 PM   #10
stonester1
Rear Admiral

By edge, I also mean the savage satire. It's been a very long time, but I don't remember the TV show having that, either.
Old February 28 2010, 01:23 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

The TV series was definitely satirical, but in a more whimsical, less "savage" way. But I think that worked for what the series was. A regular series trying to be as hard-edged and savage as the movie week after week after week would've been too overwhelming; and, again, it was necessary to consider the fact that there would undoubtedly be children watching. I feel that the lighter style of humor and satire was an appropriate choice. I'm not saying you have to feel the same, but I really enjoyed it. It succeeded in being something that no other RoboCop sequel has been: fun.

Old February 28 2010, 01:31 AM   #12
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

23skidoo wrote: View Post
That pretty much leaves Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman and Batman as my DVD Holy Grails. (Well, Holmes & Yo-Yo, too, but I keep that under my hat.)
Max Headroom had been at the top of my Holy Grails list, which includes The Six Million Dollar Man, and Jeremy Piven's Cupid, and even Holmes & Yo-Yo, but the new top spot belongs to Mann & Machine. Yancy Butler's performance was magical! Best of her career (also the first)!
If they can put crap like Small Wonder out on DVD, there's no excuse anymore.
Old February 28 2010, 01:40 AM   #13
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Chris_Johnston wrote: View Post
23skidoo wrote: View Post
Max Headroom had been at the top of my Holy Grails list, which includes The Six Million Dollar Man, and Jeremy Piven's Cupid, and even Holmes & Yo-Yo, but the new top spot belongs to Mann & Machine. Yancy Butler's performance was magical!
If they can put crap like Small Wonder out on DVD, there's no excuse anymore.

I'm waiting for a REAL release of WKRP in Cinncinnati. Also, though the release of Quantum Leap was decent, one with the original music COMPLETELY restored would be great.
Old February 28 2010, 03:36 AM   #14
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

stonester1 wrote: View Post
Also, though the release of Quantum Leap was decent, one with the original music COMPLETELY restored would be great.
In complete agreement. The only seasons I have are the 1st and the 5th which have the original music.

My remaining DVD series would be -

The remaining seasons of the Superboy tv series

John Doe

Non genre - ED - Stuckeyville's Bowling Alley lawyer. Not that talking horse show

Last edited by Dick Whitman; February 28 2010 at 04:41 AM.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2010, 04:27 AM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Chris_Johnston wrote: View Post
...but the new top spot belongs to Mann & Machine. Yancy Butler's performance was magical! Best of her career (also the first)!
Yeah... that was a mediocre show overall, but Butler was striking and impressive as Eve. Even if she was kind of imitating Data. But then, just about anyone who played an android after 1987 imitated Data.