Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 26 2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Same Actor/Character in Different Continuities

With all the franchise reboots of recent years there is tendency to think that compete recasting is always the route taken. But it is not unheard of for an actor to play the same character in different productions with largely different cast and separate continuity.

I thought it would be interesting to list as many of these cases as we can think of.

Noel Neill as Lois Lane.

She first played the role in the Superman theatrical serials starring Kirk Alyn. She later returned to the role when she replaced Phyllis Coates starting with the second season of the George Reeves television series.

Last edited by Dick Whitman; February 26 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: Same Actor/Character in Different Continuities

Judi Dench as M
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Sean Connery in "Never Say Never Again".

And a lot of the JL/JLU voice cast reprising their characters in non-DCAU movies.
Old February 26 2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Lou Ferrigno as the Incredible Hulk

Most prominently in the Bill Bixby tv series and tv movies. But he also voiced the Hulk in the 90s animated series. Also again in the Ed Norton film.
Old February 26 2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

George Newburn as Superman, Dana Delany as Lois Lane, and Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor reprised their roles for The Batman
Old February 26 2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Tyberius
Commander

Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime

ETA: Leonard Nimoy as Spock

Last edited by Tyberius; February 26 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Duh!
Tyberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Hermiod
Admiral

Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill and Arleen Sorkin played Batman, Joker and Harley Quinn in various DC Animated series and movies as well as Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Ann Robinson played Dr. Sylvia van Buren in the 1953 version of War of the Worlds and then later reprised her role in the late 80's television show (as well as appearing in the 2005 Spielberg movie as another character).
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Michael Gough as Alfred Pennyworth

Its debatable whether all the Burton and Schumacher Batman films took place in the same continuity. But in addition to that he played Alfred in two BBC radio dramas. One of which adapted the Knightfall storyline from the comics. Also a Batman Onstar commercial.
Old February 26 2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Tyberius
Commander

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I dunno. Was "Never Say Never Again" a different continuity for the Connery Bond? Maybe for the Ms and Qs.
Tyberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2010, 08:43 PM   #10
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Garry Chalk first voiced "Optimus Prime" (I put that in parenthesis for a reason, if you've seen the series you know why) in "Beast Machines". He went on to voice Optimus Prime in the "Unicron trilogy" of Armada, Energon and Cybertron.

David Kaye played Megatron in Beast Wars and Beast Machines, and then went on to voice Megatron in Armada, Energon and Cybertron as well.

Frank Welker was the voice of the original Megatron in the 80's series, and would later voice the movie Megatron in the video game based on the first film.
Old February 26 2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Hermiod
Admiral

Tyberius wrote: View Post
I dunno. Was "Never Say Never Again" a different continuity for the Connery Bond? Maybe for the Ms and Qs.
Yes, it was. There's a whole load of reasons why. As loose as the continuity between the official Bond movies is, Never Say Never Again is not part of it.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2010, 08:48 PM   #12
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I think this qualifies. It basically is a remake of "Thunderball" which Connery himself had starred. Either that or SPECTRE likes to reuse the same blackmail schemes again.
Old February 26 2010, 09:14 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I think this qualifies. It basically is a remake of "Thunderball" which Connery himself had starred. Either that or SPECTRE likes to reuse the same blackmail schemes again.

You also had different actors playing Blofeld and Felix Leiter. (Not that the original films were terribly consistent there either!)
Old February 26 2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

ETA: Leonard Nimoy as Spock
Doesn't count, since the new movie is supposed to be part of the same overall reality as previous ST, just a different timeline.

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Ann Robinson played Dr. Sylvia van Buren in the 1953 version of War of the Worlds and then later reprised her role in the late 80's television show (as well as appearing in the 2005 Spielberg movie as another character).
Ditto here -- the '88 TV series was meant to be a direct, in-continuity sequel to the '53 movie.

God Magnus wrote: View Post
David Kaye played Megatron in Beast Wars and Beast Machines, and then went on to voice Megatron in Armada, Energon and Cybertron as well.
And, oddly, then played Optimus Prime in Transformers Animated.

David Hayter played Captain America in the '90s Spider-Man animated series (though not in the '90s X-Men series in the same continuity), and then reprised the role of Cap in X-Men Evolution, which was in a distinctly different continuity. (He went on to write the first two X-Men movies and had a bit part in the first one. His Evolution appearance was after the first X-movie.)

Robby the Robot appeared (and was voiced by Marvin Miller) in Forbidden Planet and The Invisible Boy, which certainly couldn't be in the same continuity. He made many subsequent appearances in various continuities, but not voiced by Miller (except in stock audio from FP) and usually not "in character" as Robby, just as various unnamed or differently-named robots.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2010, 12:16 AM   #15
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Richard Roundtree portraying 'Uncle Shaft' in the mediocre Shaft sequel starring Sam Jackson....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Richard Belzer portray John Munch on 'Homicide' then on 'Law and Order: SVU'?

EDIT: I just realized that both of these characters aren't exactly in 'Sci-fi/Fantasy' series...
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote