Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 20 2010, 12:21 AM   #16
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Majel Barrett Roddenberry-Number One

James Wright wrote: View Post
in other words Star Trek(1966-1969), was ahead of it's time in some respects but behind the times when it came to showing women in command positions, aka starship captain's ? Some vision of the future, eh, just for fairness when was the first female captain referred to on TNG?

James
IIRC the first female captain seen on Star Trek was the captain of the Saratoga in the opening scene of TVH, a little short of a year shy of TNG's premier.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 12:35 AM   #17
Christopher
Writer

The first female Starfleet captain, that is. There was, of course, the Commander from "The Enterprise Incident," whose rank was apparently the equivalent of a captain (or maybe even a fleet captain or commodore, since she seemed to be in command of the whole 3-vessel force).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 12:56 AM   #18
Neutral Zone
Captain

I think she would have made a good Captain or even a doctor, hell she has a great computer voice!!!
Neutral Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 01:00 AM   #19
Christopher
Writer

Chapel was a doctor in TMP.

Old February 20 2010, 10:59 AM   #20
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Majel had a very strong presence and her voice could carry a lot of authority. She would have been great. Personally, I'd have preferred if they had focused on her scientific background and made her head of life sciences rather than remaining an appendage to McCoy. At the very least she is qualified in biology, paleobiology, and atrobiology because of hre background with Roger Korby - the Louis Pasteur of arhaeological medicine. She would then have had reasons to work closely with both McCoy and Spock and would not have been tied to sickbay so much.

As it is, NuTrek has decided to keep her as a nurse (so Korby must have gone missing already in the new timeline). I hope they change their minds and use her in a wider context.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 01:05 PM   #21
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Number One and Nurse Chapel aren't the same character, they were just played by the same actress.
Old February 20 2010, 03:31 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
Number One and Nurse Chapel aren't the same character, they were just played by the same actress.
I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't know that. We're talking about the actress and her various roles, not just about one character.

Old February 20 2010, 04:49 PM   #23
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Forbin wrote: View Post
Didn't we decide Janice Lester was just plain crazy, and shouldn't be paid any attention?
She was a little off her rocker, but no where in that episode does Kirk debate her 'star fleet is sexist' remarks. And I think, in the 60s, thats the message they wanted to convey. That the military, or society, was sexist in these matters.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 06:20 PM   #24
James Wright
Commodore

That just goes shows the the acting ability of Majel Barrett, even more so when she plays Lwaxana Troi on TNG! IMO

James
Old February 22 2010, 04:24 AM   #25
Tara
Lieutenant Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

Also, Number One was slated to be an admiral sitting beside Robert April commenting on a televised event in the "Lost Years Saga" novel, "A Flag Full of Stars" by Brad Ferguson, but it was during a time of tight control and she had to be renamed Timothea Rogers, with no reveal that she was a promoted Number One.
Having read the writer's draft of AFFOS, I'm eternally GLAD Rogers wasn't Number One. Mainly because she's portrayed in an incredibly unflattering light in that novel as a bitter, unattractive, cold fish and an object of pity and scorn. You can read excerpts and analysis here, to see what I mean.

However, I heartily second the recommendation of IDW's Crew and the reprint of Early Voyages. Fandom has really embraced the character--there's loads of TOS and AOS stories being written about her since the new film, and I'm really looking forward to Stern's Children of Kings this spring.

Last edited by Tara; February 22 2010 at 04:37 AM.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 07:43 AM   #26
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

If by Early Voyages you mean the comic, then yes I cannot agree enough - it's a great series (sadly cut short). Those who have read it will recognise my avatar as the cover of the premiere issue.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 08:37 AM   #27
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
At the very least she is qualified in biology, paleobiology, and atrobiology because of hre background with Roger Korby - the Louis Pasteur of arhaeological medicine.
And she makes a great plameek soup.
Old February 22 2010, 08:42 AM   #28
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Didn't we decide Janice Lester was just plain crazy, and shouldn't be paid any attention?
She was a little off her rocker, but no where in that episode does Kirk debate her 'star fleet is sexist' remarks.
Most likely Kirk knew it was a lost cause - Lester, insane as she was, wouldn't listen to anything he said, so it would have been pointless to debate her.
Old February 22 2010, 09:29 AM   #29
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Tara wrote: View Post
Having read the writer's draft of AFFOS, I'm eternally GLAD Rogers wasn't Number One.
The amazing thing for me was that I read the novel as published and had a light bulb moment that the character was intended to be Number One. Not quite sure what did it, but I somehow picked up a vibe. I speculated about it online - and Brad Ferguson wrote me an email confirming my suspicions, and pointing out a then-link to his PDF of the original draft!

That was so cool!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 09:23 PM   #30
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

There was a novel (can't remember which) which had "Number One" identified as Chapel's older sister, hence the resemblence. Not a bad bit of retro-conning.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote