RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,601
Posts: 5,424,742
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 410
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 10 2010, 06:40 PM   #46
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Civilization V

Honestly, the road spaghetti never bothered me. I found them too useful to move troops to care about how they look. My concern is, will this "clean up" hinder my movements over rough terrain? The mention that roads will continue to play a major role in the game, but they didn't really get into much detail.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2010, 11:17 PM   #47
Canadave
Vice Admiral
 
Canadave's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Catharines, ON
View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: Civilization V

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Honestly, the road spaghetti never bothered me. I found them too useful to move troops to care about how they look. My concern is, will this "clean up" hinder my movements over rough terrain? The mention that roads will continue to play a major role in the game, but they didn't really get into much detail.
True, but if not it could make for some interesting changes. After all, roads and rail have traditionally been extremely important strategic tools in wartime. Most countries never had anything approaching a Civ-spaghetti.
__________________
My blog!
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2010, 11:29 PM   #48
Sky
Captain
 
Sky  's Avatar
 
Location: Tokyo
Re: Civilization V

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
Seriously. What are they going to replace it with? It's not just going to be combat is it? Because I loved played completely political civs that turtled up and took over via influence. One of my favorite civ memories was taking over a large map with gahndi, never attacking the whole time other than against the barbarians at the beginning.
Mehhh, I nearly always play for the culture win. I love flipping cities. I nearly never start wars or occupy cities with force (well, except for Barbarian cities somewhere near my civ).
__________________
there is no other wisdom
and no other hope for us
but that we grow wise.
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2010, 05:57 AM   #49
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Civilization V

I find I usually need to soundly stomp at least one neighboring civ early in the game to establish my military cred, or else everyone starts getting really aggressive towards me around 1000 AD.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2010, 09:59 PM   #50
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Civilization V

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Honestly, the road spaghetti never bothered me. I found them too useful to move troops to care about how they look. My concern is, will this "clean up" hinder my movements over rough terrain? The mention that roads will continue to play a major role in the game, but they didn't really get into much detail.
Road clutter doesn't bother me either. Hell, it's something I do when I have nothing better with workers. Obviously, priority has always been connecting cities, but roading other tiles is useful in case of invasion.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2010, 12:25 AM   #51
Pseudo
Fleet Captain
 
Pseudo's Avatar
 
View Pseudo's Twitter Profile
Re: Civilization V

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Honestly, the road spaghetti never bothered me. I found them too useful to move troops to care about how they look. My concern is, will this "clean up" hinder my movements over rough terrain? The mention that roads will continue to play a major role in the game, but they didn't really get into much detail.
Perhaps they might use obsolescence - ie. a dirt track road in ancient times becomes obsolete and you have to build paved roads, then highways.

Probably a silly idea, but I can't really think of another way to do it.
Pseudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2010, 01:53 AM   #52
Canadave
Vice Admiral
 
Canadave's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Catharines, ON
View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: Civilization V

What if all roads have to be built as routes? As in, they need a solid start and end point, like city to city, or city to resource?
__________________
My blog!
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2010, 02:39 AM   #53
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral
 
Location: PlanetExpress Ship
Re: Civilization V

Canadave wrote: View Post
What if all roads have to be built as routes? As in, they need a solid start and end point, like city to city, or city to resource?
I was originally against the idea of getting rid of the roads, but this makes the most sense. Although I do like building roads towards my enemies for attack, it doesn't really make sense in the universe you have roads in every single square, most of which don't actually go anywhere. So if you wanted a railway to your enemy you can negotiate a trade treaty, or build a military fortress on the border.
__________________
She's so great. I feel like I can almost remember the magical thing I did to make her love me. But I guess I never will.
Capt. Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2010, 02:11 PM   #54
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Civilization V

This actually almost takes us back to the old Civ II days, w/ dirt roads, replaced by paved roads, and then finally railroads.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2010, 08:23 PM   #55
Canadave
Vice Admiral
 
Canadave's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Catharines, ON
View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: Civilization V

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
Canadave wrote: View Post
What if all roads have to be built as routes? As in, they need a solid start and end point, like city to city, or city to resource?
I was originally against the idea of getting rid of the roads, but this makes the most sense. Although I do like building roads towards my enemies for attack, it doesn't really make sense in the universe you have roads in every single square, most of which don't actually go anywhere. So if you wanted a railway to your enemy you can negotiate a trade treaty, or build a military fortress on the border.
That'd be a really great idea, actually. I always found fortresses to be a bit useless in the past, but now they could hold strategic importance by being control points for roads.

That is, if Firaxis is reading this thread.
__________________
My blog!
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2010, 02:38 PM   #56
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Civilization V

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
This actually almost takes us back to the old Civ II days, w/ dirt roads, replaced by paved roads, and then finally railroads.
I'm pretty sure the road change was only a graphics change (and, in Civ2, everything was railroaded). The only reason to discourage roads back then is your enemies could use them too (and the AIs would pace back and forth on unlimited railroads and your turns would take forever to end).
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2010, 09:54 PM   #57
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now
 
Zulu Romeo's Avatar
 
Location: looming over the warp and woof of awesome
Re: Civilization V

I had to share with you this April Fools joke from Civfanatics.com:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359842

2K Games today announced a new game mode that will be included in the upcoming "Civilization V" sequel called Extreme Diplomacy, which allows two world leaders to enter a death match fight if normal diplomacy fails.

Two world leaders enter; one world leader leaves. The victor will obtain complete control of the challenger's world empire.
__________________
"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2010, 10:39 PM   #58
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Civilization V

When in reality, they're holding that one for Civilization VI: The System Lords.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2010, 07:14 PM   #59
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Civilization V

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
I had to share with you this April Fools joke from Civfanatics.com:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359842

2K Games today announced a new game mode that will be included in the upcoming "Civilization V" sequel called Extreme Diplomacy, which allows two world leaders to enter a death match fight if normal diplomacy fails.

Two world leaders enter; one world leader leaves. The victor will obtain complete control of the challenger's world empire.
I'd buy it.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2010, 08:59 AM   #60
AdAstra
Rear Admiral
 
AdAstra's Avatar
 
Location: Regnum Belgarum
Re: Civilization V

Uncle Slam!
__________________
Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
AdAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civilization, civilization 5

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.