RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,734
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 947
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 18 2010, 07:37 PM   #16
The Comedian
Captain

Re: SUPERMAN

Let's see...

"Batman Begins"....so...

"Superman Starts"

which will lead inevitably to...

"Wonder Woman Comes."
Old February 18 2010, 08:18 PM   #17
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I really really hope we don't get an origin retread. I mean what is it with these reboots retelling the origin. Batman Begins was okay because even the Burton/Shumacher Batman films didn't really get into it too terribly much, at least Batman's early days. So that was okay. Superman doesn't really need an origin to show how he went from baby to Superman. I mean if they really want to restart the mythology, they could always restart it from shortly before he puts the suit on and follows it from the time he comes on the scene. Basically put to film the classic Man of Steel #2 where Superman is named thus by Lois Lane but I'd like to keep the thing where Lois is scooped by Clark. And then maybe follow it forward with like Metallo or Lex - even though I'm sick of Lex in the movies, but I wouldn't even really mind seeing like a "City Under Seige" kind of thing where you could have a bunch of his rogues gallery show up and then reveal that Lex set it in motion, but Superman can't prove it and it ends with a bit of a cliff hanger at the end.
Old February 18 2010, 10:13 PM   #18
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

You had 1966's Batman and 1989's Batman. You had Star Trek: The Motion Picure (1979) and Star Trek (2009). So why not Superman: The Movie (1978) and Superman (20--)? I think it would be a sensible way of putting clear blue water (or should that be Big Blue Water?) between this movie and its predecessors - make it clear it's not a sequel or prequel.
Old February 18 2010, 10:27 PM   #19
Delta1
Fleet Captain

RandyS wrote: View Post
Just calling it SUPERMAN is too complicated. How about something simple, like:

SUPERMAN THE LAST SON OF KRYPTON THE MAN OF STEEL KAL-EL CLARK KENT?

Covers everything that way.
And the sequel can be THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF TOMORROW FROM ACTION COMICS PAL OF JIMMY OLSEN.
Delta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 09:18 AM   #20
Jetfire

If "SUPERMAN" isn't used...

[edit] My idea of a Superman trilogy.

LAST SON
MAN OF STEEL
DOOMSDAY

For each one of these you wouldn't even have to say "Superman..." just throw up the \S/hield behind the title...boom, there's your Superman movie poster.
Old February 19 2010, 08:39 PM   #21
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

If they reboot Superman again, I also think they need to skip the origina story. Maybe do it through a montage during the opening credits and then have the opening scene move straight into Superman or Clark as an adult, all settled in and ready for an adventure.

WE ALREADY KNOW HE'S FROM KRYPTON THAT WENT BOOM AND GREW UP ON A FARM.
Old February 19 2010, 10:33 PM   #22
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Just Superman is fine by me.

What's not fine is that we may have to go through a freaking origin story yet again.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 01:38 AM   #23
DonnyBaker
Lieutenant

The Comedian wrote: View Post
Let's see...

"Batman Begins"....so...

"Superman Starts"

which will lead inevitably to...

"Wonder Woman Comes."
YESSS!!!!
DonnyBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 07:17 AM   #24
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Why is that whenever we have a thread on a Superman movie that it inevitably turns into a "they better not have an origin story" discussion? Ugh. Anyways I have no problem with them using "Superman" as a film title. Nor do I have a problem with them using a subtitle if it's something like "Man of Steel" or "Last Son" etc like has been suggested. I just have a problem with studios using subtitles on projects that the majority of people know because they think we don't know what the movie is supposed to be about.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 08:39 AM   #25
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I'd rather they included a subtitle to it. Even if it's not a sequel to anything, there's still precedent for having the 1st film of a series use a subtitle. SEE G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Pirates of the Carribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant.

I'd go with Superman: The Man of Steel or Superman: Last Son of Krypton.

Frankly, I'm really bugged by the lack of subtitle in the new Star Trek movie. It makes it more difficult to easily reference it in a discussion with the other 10 movies.
Old February 23 2010, 04:21 PM   #26
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

But how many people actually call any of those movies by their full title? Certainly, in cinemas, people just ask for tickets to 'Pirates of the Carribean' or 'GI Joe' or 'Wolverine', I've yet to hear anyone say the full names.

God knows how long it would take the queues to disperse if they did ...
Old February 23 2010, 04:40 PM   #27
Checkmate
Commodore

I'd love a Superman movie that actually focuses on the character, isn't an origin story, and isn't a rehash of the shitty movies and television series (not including the animated series; they actually got it right). No "deconstruction" of the character, no "reimagining" him as a gothic dweeb with a suit in a can, no hot pink kryptonite that turns him into a flaming homosexual, etc. Just a real Superman story with the real Superman character being a real superhero.

I'd even be okay with another Lex Luthor story (preferably as the businessman or president versions), though it's high time some of his other villains got the limelight. Sure, his Rogue's Gallery isn't as awesome as Batman's, but he has some cool ones hidden in there. Brainiac (particularly the animated series version) and Bizarro (ditto) are two that come to mind, though the "Hollywood" types would probably prefer someone shiny and "cool" like Metallo or something.

Lois Lane should just be the damsel in distress that she's supposed to be, not the lead character with Superman being a pussy-whipped, bastard-fathering stalker in the background. Jimmy Olsen could use some updating; I thought Lois & Clark did a good job in that respect, though it needs to go farther. And for the love of God, they don't need any other "last sons of Krypton" floating around (with Brainiac being a notable exception).
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 09:37 PM   #28
jadcox@mindspring.com
Commodore

View jadcox@mindspring.com's Twitter Profile

I still like the old rumored title from way back in the mid 90s ... Superman: New Genesis.
jadcox@mindspring.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 09:47 PM   #29
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Wherein Superman replaces Phil Collins.
Old February 23 2010, 09:50 PM   #30
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

The Superman origin story is the Superman story, period. That's why it gets retold over and over - if there's anything like an actual legend or folklore associated with Supes, it's the story about the rocket and adoption and growing up on a farm and going out into the world. It's John Henry and the steam drill; it's Robin Hood and the archery contest.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote