New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 17 2010, 05:59 AM   #1
James Wright
Commodore

The Narada

Just out of curiousity while Nero and the crew of the Narada were serving time in a Klingon prison where was the Narada kept, if the Kingon's had the ship why didnt they dismantle and study it?
I'm assuming that the crew of the Narada escaped from prison and reclaimed the Narada?
Thank you!

James
Old February 17 2010, 06:15 AM   #2
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: The Narada

The biggest problem with the film is how underdeveloped and uninteresting the villains are. I liked the deletd scenes featuring Nero, but even their inclusion would not only have thrown off a lot of the audience (particularly STar Trek newbies) but would have also still left a lot of unanswered questions as to how Nero got the Narada back. Leaving thsoe scenes out streamlined the story quite a bit. Having got rid of them, I can't understnad why they still needed to reference the Klingon escape in the script.

What makes the film great are the characters of the crew (incluidng Pike) and Nero is just there to give them soemthing to do, plain and simple.
Old February 18 2010, 04:11 PM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

I think the Nero comic says that when Nero and the crew were cpatured by the Klingons, Narada was so badly damaged that it was of no interest to the Klingons. It therefore drifted in space for 20 years while its Borg tech regenerated it, and finally Narada itself went to Rura Penthe to free Nero and the crew.

Please don't ask.
Old February 18 2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Jeri
Vice Admiral

George Kirk did a fine job on the Narada.

The movie is really about reintroducing the Star Trek characters, which they did brilliantly. There isn't actually room for much else, IMO; I don't mind a villain that serves as a foil here. That said, I still liked Eric Bana as Nero a lot; I bought the action figure, which I had never done before this movie.
Old February 18 2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Dukhat
Commodore

James Wright wrote: View Post
Just out of curiousity while Nero and the crew of the Narada were serving time in a Klingon prison where was the Narada kept, if the Kingon's had the ship why didnt they dismantle and study it?
I'm assuming that the crew of the Narada escaped from prison and reclaimed the Narada?
Thank you!

James
Nero and his crew didn't serve time in a Klingon prison. That was a deleted scene. All we know is that after the events with the Kelvin, the Narada was never seen or heard from again, until Spock came through into the past.

There is nothing in the movie that gives evidence of what Nero's crew were doing in the intervening years other than staying out of the way of things and simply waiting 25 years until reuniting with Spock. Unless you count Nero's apparent habit of stealing 22nd century Vulcan landers for his collection.
Old February 19 2010, 03:59 AM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

Well, if Nero wasn't in prison, than what was he doing? Why bother waiting for Spock and the Red Matter? With Narada he could probably launch an orbital assault which would essentially obliterate Vulcan and Earth.

No it's best if we assume he was in prison anyway. At least give the story some shreds of logic.
Old February 19 2010, 05:01 AM   #7
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Thank you!

James
Nero and his crew didn't serve time in a Klingon prison. That was a deleted scene. All we know is that after the events with the Kelvin, the Narada was never seen or heard from again, until Spock came through into the past.

There is nothing in the movie that gives evidence of what Nero's crew were doing in the intervening years other than staying out of the way of things and simply waiting 25 years until reuniting with Spock. Unless you count Nero's apparent habit of stealing 22nd century Vulcan landers for his collection.
That is incorrect. Though the scene was cut references to what happened were left in. Uhura mentions it in her quarters, and Kir mentions it to Pike and Spock
Old February 19 2010, 05:08 AM   #8
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Thank you!

James

His full name is Jay Nero.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 05:19 AM   #9
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Well, if Nero wasn't in prison, than what was he doing? Why bother waiting for Spock and the Red Matter? With Narada he could probably launch an orbital assault which would essentially obliterate Vulcan and Earth.

No it's best if we assume he was in prison anyway. At least give the story some shreds of logic.
He didn't just want to destroy Vulcan. He wanted Spock to watch him do it.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 03:44 PM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

Ugh, and yet again we are faced with more evidence of just how stupid Nero was.
Old February 19 2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Jeyl
Commodore

Nothing about the Narada makes any sense whatsoever.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 07:03 PM   #12
EJA
Fleet Captain

Yet another huge, gaping plot hole in a movie that's filled with them.
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 07:06 PM   #13
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Motion to move the conversation back on-topic and away from more ad nauseam film-bashing...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 07:13 PM   #14
EJA
Fleet Captain

Okay, so how do we explain Nero getting back to the Narada immediately after escaping Rura Penthe? What would the Narada be doing anywhere remotely near Rura Penthe in the first place? If the Klingons had captured it, it would make far more sense to lock it away in a secure starship facility somewhere remote. And what chance would a handful of ragged Romulans have against dozens of heavily armed Klingon warriors?
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 07:45 PM   #15
maneth
Captain

I think the movie's very entertaining but the Narada makes no sense. Once again a near-hollow ship with convenient chasms for the unwary to fall into in the middle of a fight. Been there, done that, including in SW4, SW6, Insurrection and ENT: Zero Hour... Man, it's old!