Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 17 2010, 12:31 AM   #1
James Wright
Commodore

Picard relative mentioned in Journey's End

What's your best guess as to Picard's relative mentioned in "Journey's End", if he was Spanish did he die thus ending the Spaninsh line of the Picard family?

James
Old February 17 2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Picard relative mentioned in Journey's End

I don't know how the name 'Picard' could have popped up in a Spanish family, but here it is:

Javier Maribona-Picard

I'm just hazarding a guess that the actual Picard family line (in France) can be traced back much farther than that. So how'd Javier get ahold of it, since he's obviously not French? I suppose he could be a several-times-great-uncle or something, like if a Picard came to Spain, married a Maribona, and their kids hyphenated the name, but obviously Picard isn't a descendant of such a union since he is just "Picard".

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; February 17 2010 at 03:38 AM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 03:34 AM   #3
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

My wife is descended from a Spanish-French couple who moved to Mexico in the Napoleonic era.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 03:43 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ But Picard isn't. His family is provably French and they never lived anywhere else *but* France.

As for Javier, I'm still trying to figure that one out. I guess it's most likely that he is not an actual *ancestor* of Picard (given Javier's birthplace and hyphenated name) but is a very distant uncle. Meaning, a Picard came to Mexico and married a Maribona, then their children had both names.
Old February 17 2010, 03:48 AM   #5
M
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ But Picard isn't. His family is provably French and they never lived anywhere else *but* France.
And you figure this how?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 03:50 AM   #6
James Wright
Commodore

I've got idea, maybe back in the day when a fellow named Cromwell ruled England for a brief time the Picard family left England and immigrated to France in hopes of returning fo England someday, now maybe there was something in France some family members didn't like so they just kept going until they got to Spain !
If any of you have ideas on this, c'mon let's hear them!

James
Old February 17 2010, 03:50 AM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
And you figure this how?
Because we never saw it.
Old February 17 2010, 04:05 AM   #8
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
And you figure this how?
Because we never saw it.
I dunno, I think you mentioned a member of the family who is from Spain and went to New Mexico and then there are the Martian Picards.
Old February 17 2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Maybe Javier's ancestors had once lived in France but moved to Spain, thus accounting for his name. Then, sometime in the 800 years seperating Javier from Jean-Luc, some of Javier's descendents moved back to France and started calling themselves Picards again, instead of Maribona-Picards.
Old February 17 2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
Maybe Javier's ancestors had once lived in France but moved to Spain, thus accounting for his name. Then, sometime in the 800 years seperating Javier from Jean-Luc, some of Javier's descendents moved back to France and started calling themselves Picards again, instead of Maribona-Picards.
Some one move from one place to another? Impossible!!!!!
Old February 17 2010, 12:43 PM   #11
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

James Wright wrote: View Post
What's your best guess as to Picard's relative mentioned in "Journey's End", if he was Spanish did he die thus ending the Spaninsh line of the Picard family?

James
Given the pride with which Picard describes "The Picard who fought at Trafalgar" one can only assume that his ancestor there was British.

You can imagine someone going "Oh cool, was he on one of the ships captured, one of the ones that sunk, or the handful that survived to run away?"

Seriously, we are talking one of the most embarassing defeats in French military history here (long and distinguished list I concede).
Old February 17 2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
AFAIK, Picard's family album in Generations lists a lot of famous Picards, some of which lived earlier in history than Javier did.
Old February 17 2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
AFAIK, Picard's family album in Generations lists a lot of famous Picards, some of which lived earlier in history than Javier did.
Not sure what you're trying to prove here. The Picards lives in France for X number of years, then they move to Spain for X number of years. Then they move back to France. They seem to have spent some time on Mars as well.
Old February 17 2010, 09:05 PM   #14
Admiral Shran
Admiral

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
Given the pride with which Picard describes "The Picard who fought at Trafalgar" one can only assume that his ancestor there was British.

You can imagine someone going "Oh cool, was he on one of the ships captured, one of the ones that sunk, or the handful that survived to run away?"

Seriously, we are talking one of the most embarassing defeats in French military history here (long and distinguished list I concede).
No kidding. I remember the first time I saw that scene. I thought then, and everytime I've seen it since, "Oh, you mean the Picard who got his ass kicked?"

I could see it going both ways however. The Picard family seems to like to move around a lot. Maybe they started out in France, moved to Spain (in Javier's time), then moved to Britain (for the Battle of Trafalgar), then moved back to France again, and finally moved to Mars while some stayed in France. Or maybe the Picard at Trafalgar was either French or Spanish. If he was French, it means he got his ass kicked. If he was Spanish, it means he ran away.

Since I like Jean-Luc so much, I'll assume his family was living in Britain at the time.
Old February 17 2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

Plenty of French officers fighting on the British side at Trafalgar, I'd wager. After all, wouldn't the French Navy have been a nest of royalists in the early stages of the revolution - royalists in an excellent position to expatriate themselves and continue the fight?

FWIW, the portrait of this "Picard at Trafalgar", although unseen in ST:GEN, features a man in a rather nondescript uniform without national insignia visible.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File..._Trafalgar.jpg

Anybody recognize the uniform or its real-world inspiration?

Anyway, I wouldn't wonder a bit if Jean-Luc Picard took pride in being on the losing side of a battle. He's beyond petty 20th century concerns in other respects, or aspires to be - why would he place significance on winning? And it's not as if losing in disgrace ever stopped people from the southern parts of the US from exhibiting military pride...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote