Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 12 2010, 09:13 PM   #31
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mission: Impossible IV - Tom Cruise and J.J. Abrams reunite -2011

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
The first Mission: Impossible was wonderfully atmospheric if a little uneven and wooden. There wasn't much excitement, and I certainly didn't feel any danger in the proceedings, but it was still a relatively smart film. Danny Elfman's score was pretty snazzy, too.
M:I-I's score was great. I bought the CD for it and I loved the use of the theme during the opening credits and the cues it took on going to MIF/CIA headquarters and during the TGV/Chunnel chase. (Which was just a wonderfuly silly OTT action piece.) I really need to get that movie on DVD as I'd peg it as my personal favorite in the movie series and Cruise is at least tollerable in it. (Though I loved in 2 when the villain made a crack about Cruise's grin.)

Two was just a mess, and three, feh. I think the thing that stuck out to me in that one was the very silly pseudo-defibrillator scene at the end of the movie.

But, I'll say again it's hightime to reboot this movie franchise or kill it and do a new series.

Oh, and in all three movies am I wrong in thinking in all of them Hunt is tracking down to stop a rogue MIF agent? Sort of suggesting they wouldn't need an MIF if there wasn't an MIF?
Old February 12 2010, 09:32 PM   #32
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
M:I-I's score was great. I bought the CD for it and I loved the use of the theme during the opening credits and the cues it took on going to MIF/CIA headquarters and during the TGV/Chunnel chase. (Which was just a wonderfuly silly OTT action piece.)
I am just now listening to that track again ("Zoom B") and I agree it's an awesome piece of music and I love how Elfman incorporates the M:I musical theme.

But, I'll say again it's hightime to reboot this movie franchise or kill it and do a new series.
I wouldn't mind seeing a new series. I was surprised Abrams, known for his television series, didn't suggest that route rather than producing a new movie. I think Paramount still thinks this is a viable moneymaker and wants to continue to exploit it financially.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2010, 10:20 PM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

Doesn't the first part of the first M:I movie capture the team aspect just as well as the Vatican sequence does in the third film? I'm surprised no one has brought that up.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2010, 12:46 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

[QUOTE=Trekker4747;3832056]
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
M:I-I's score was great.
Not really an Elfman fan. I prefer Giacchino's score for III. Aside from it being, well, a Giacchino score, it was the only M:I movie score that made substantial use of Schifrin's "The Plot," the motif that (along with the main title theme) was the basis of the majority of the music in both TV series. I believe the first film only made a token use of it, and I don't recall hearing it in II at all. It's not really M:I without "The Plot."

Two was just a mess, and three, feh. I think the thing that stuck out to me in that one was the very silly pseudo-defibrillator scene at the end of the movie.
Defibrillators are always portrayed in a silly way in movies and TV, so that didn't stand out. What I thought was really cool about III's finale, though, was

Harvey wrote: View Post
Doesn't the first part of the first M:I movie capture the team aspect just as well as the Vatican sequence does in the third film? I'm surprised no one has brought that up.
I think M:I fans feel that what the first movie did to Phelps disqualifies the whole thing when it comes to fidelity. Also, see above re: "The Plot."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2010, 12:49 AM   #35
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

IIRC the "defibrillator" scene in MI-3 isn't the "defibrilation" done with a couple wires pulled out of a lamp or something like that? Oy!
Old February 13 2010, 01:28 AM   #36
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Christopher wrote: View Post
I think M:I fans feel that what the first movie did to Phelps disqualifies the whole thing when it comes to fidelity. Also, see above re: "The Plot."
The way I've always seen it ... the movies and the television series are two entirely different beasts. The complaint about Phelps' portrayal in the movie are like complaints about characterization in comic book movies being different from the source material. I don't care. I just take the works on their own merits, as opposed to what was done before in a different medium. This especially applies to something like Mission: Impossible, which is much more about the concept than the characters.

IIRC the "defibrillator" scene in MI-3 isn't the "defibrilation" done with a couple wires pulled out of a lamp or something like that? Oy!
That's not terribly far off from those Swiss guys in the 19th century, who realized that an (uncontrolled) electric shock could reverse ventricular fibrillation in dogs.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2010, 01:31 AM   #37
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

And hey, they could have a throwaway line in M:I IV where Paris reveals that the "Jim Phelps" in the first movie was an impostor.
That's exactly what I was suggesting...

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

I thought the original M:I cast have all disavowed the films and refuse to have anything to do with them. If this is true, then GOOD FOR THEM.
Peter Graves did for obvious reasons. But Nimoy - who wasn't an original cast member, he came in after Martin Landau left (ironically, Landau was on the shortlist to play Spock and then Sarek) - said last year that he would consider doing so if asked by Abrams.
Didn't one of the guys actually *walk out* of the film premiere? I think it was Peter Lupus.
Old February 13 2010, 01:35 AM   #38
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
That's not terribly far off from those Swiss guys in the 19th century, who realized that an (uncontrolled) electric shock could reverse ventricular fibrillation in dogs.
Well, yeah, in dogs!.

Old February 13 2010, 01:39 AM   #39
Aragorn
Admiral

I don't know why they just didn't have Cruise playing Phelps. Rhames would be Collier. Maybe Thandie Newton could've been Carter. Voight or Hopkins could've been Briggs.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2010, 01:39 AM   #40
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Well, yeah, in dogs!.

It has worked in some situations, as an emergency stopgap. Generally, the uncontrolled electric shock has required another defibrillation within the near future, but it's not out of the realm of possibility to jump-start the human heart with an electric shock, not unlike a car battery.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2010, 01:43 AM   #41
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I don't know why they just didn't have Cruise playing Phelps.
That's what I thought he was going to do. The first rumors I heard about the first M:I film featured exactly that - Cruise as Phelps.
Old February 13 2010, 02:11 AM   #42
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, yeah, in dogs!.

It has worked in some situations, as an emergency stopgap. Generally, the uncontrolled electric shock has required another defibrillation within the near future, but it's not out of the realm of possibility to jump-start the human heart with an electric shock, not unlike a car battery.
It is my understanding that an electric heart can't start a stopped heart but only restart a heart that's that not beating correctly.

Last edited by Trekker4747; February 13 2010 at 04:40 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2010, 03:56 AM   #43
Christopher
Writer

Actually, the purpose of defibrillation is to stop an erratic heartbeat, whereupon either the heart's natural rhythm reasserts itself or the patient is revived by other means. It's not a magic on/off switch for the heart the way it's portrayed in fiction. Applying a shock to a healthy heart may very well cause fibrillation.

But hey, it's hardly the stupidest thing in the M:I movies. In the first movie, isn't Hunt about five feet away from an exploding helicopter inside a tunnel? The overpressure shock would probably kill him even before the shrapnel tore him to ribbons.

Old February 13 2010, 04:41 AM   #44
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Actually, the purpose of defibrillation is to stop an erratic heartbeat, whereupon either the heart's natural rhythm reasserts itself or the patient is revived by other means. It's not a magic on/off switch for the heart the way it's portrayed in fiction. Applying a shock to a healthy heart may very well cause fibrillation.
Kinda ment with my post. That's why they call it a "defibrillator" it defibrillates. A stopped heart is just stopped.

But, yeah, this is something messed up in all fiction, has bled over in to misconceptions in real-life, and hardly the silliest thing in the MI movies.
Old February 13 2010, 02:48 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

My point is, the defibrillator doesn't restart a heart as you said; it stops an erratic heartbeat, and the stopped heart restarts itself (or if it doesn't, it's restarted by other medical means like heart massage).

I just had the thought that the fictional depiction of defibrillators vis-a-vis the heart is analogous to the sitcom depiction of bumps on the head vis-a-vis memory. One violent shock to the system shuts it down completely, but a second violent shock restores it to perfect function rather than compounding the damage. Which is kind of like assuming that if your car got damaged in a crash, the way to fix it is to crash it into something else.