RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 146,943
Posts: 5,797,337
Members: 26,053
Currently online: 432
Newest member: TexasTrekFan85

TrekToday headlines

Shatner Show Coming To Australia
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Wigs
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Pegg: No Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Stewart Snotbot Support
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Ryan Joins Arrow
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Retro Review: Jetrel
By: Michelle on Jul 24

New ThinkGeek Trek-Themed Products
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Star Trek The Cabin
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Bikel Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: CGI in current movies...
Its getting to the point that I can't tell in the "big budget" movies 4 25.00%
Its getting there...not quite..even the so called "A" movies have issues 9 56.25%
I have NEVER cared for CGI and wish they'd do less of it 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 25 2010, 05:50 AM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
and Eye for CGI

CGI has been with us for sometime now. I have a friend who can't stand it at all; that when ever its in use, he can tell, and it ruins the movies sometimes.

Me? I am easy to fool. I can see obvious CGI (LOTR movies have parts, as does Harry Potter) but they are getting better.

Do you have an eye for CGI? Are you underwhelmed by movies that use a lot of it?

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Checkmate
Commodore
 
Re: and Eye for CGI

It's no more obvious than still-motion, puppetry, or most of the myriad other techniques used. People who complain about CGI are just lost in a bubble of irrational hatred.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral
 
Jonas Grumby's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere in the South Pacific
Re: and Eye for CGI

It's the crappy CGI that really gets noticed. There is actually an awful lot of CGI in modern films that nobody realizes is CGI because it's so well done.

The only CGI I really dislike is the kind that has that "cartoony" look similar to what you find in a typical video game.
__________________
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 06:38 AM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: and Eye for CGI

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
It's the crappy CGI that really gets noticed. There is actually an awful lot of CGI in modern films that nobody realizes is CGI because it's so well done.

The only CGI I really dislike is the kind that has that "cartoony" look similar to what you find in a typical video game.
Agreed...i cant fault old movies like TRON or LAST STAR FIGHTER (which needs a remake)...but its some of the later so called "big" ticket movies that will have, i think, obvious CGI and yet Jurrasic Park still look awesome all these years later..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Gaith
Vice Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington State
Re: and Eye for CGI

You mean those weren't real Fell Beasts in LOTR?

Myself, I'm extremely forgiving when it comes to effects. Either that, or I hardly ever see a CG-heavy movie with bad ones.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 06:53 AM   #6
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Taipei
Re: and Eye for CGI

I didn't like the rubbery Spider-Man in the movies.

Using too much CGI, like in the Star Wars prequels, just made the screen look cluttered.

If they do a new prequel to The Thing I don't think it will have the same visceral effect to have CG gore as opposed to actual latex and fake blood that looks still more real because it's actually in front of the camera. No, that wasn't sarcasm.

But it's great to be able to bring anything you can imagine to the screen.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 08:18 AM   #7
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: and Eye for CGI

I'm ambivilent about CGI. I think I always spot it, and spotting it annoys me. But, on the other hand, I'm often amused and surprised at what film and tv makers chose to CGI. I applaud their inventiveness. I think I can always spot it. For me, CGI landscapes have a lack of "something" (and I don't know what that "something" is) that can depress me. In Avatar for instance, I enjoyed the 3D but was still underwhelmed by the CGI because for me it has a flatness and lack of light or life, or something. Maybe I'm just lost in a bubble of irrational hatred!
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 08:50 AM   #8
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: and Eye for CGI

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
There is actually an awful lot of CGI in modern films that nobody realizes is CGI because it's so well done.
This is true. At the same time...a lot of the stuff that the pros think is indistinguishable from reality isn't quite there yet.

For example, I was listening to the commentary track on the Jurassic Park III DVD the other day – the one with the Stan Winston and the VFX supervisor from ILM – and they spent a lot of time patting each other on the back for how it was impossible to tell the difference between the animatronic dinos and the CGI ones, and then IDing what was what for the audience. The only problem was, I was calling which was which about 90% of the time, before they did. So CG is getting good (and, as someone who wants to work in the industry, I love it on an aesthetic level), but we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking it's perfect.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 02:04 PM   #9
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: and Eye for CGI

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I'm ambivilent about CGI. I think I always spot it, and spotting it annoys me. But, on the other hand, I'm often amused and surprised at what film and tv makers chose to CGI. I applaud their inventiveness. I think I can always spot it. For me, CGI landscapes have a lack of "something" (and I don't know what that "something" is) that can depress me. In Avatar for instance, I enjoyed the 3D but was still underwhelmed by the CGI because for me it has a flatness and lack of light or life, or something. Maybe I'm just lost in a bubble of irrational hatred!
I guess I'm an easy target. For example; the opening of DS9, when they altered it for the Defiant? I always thought it was a model in the opening titles, but was surprised to find out it was CGI, and that was over a decade + ago. My friend, however, hates the new opening because of the Defiant being an obvious CGI...go figure..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Taipei
Re: and Eye for CGI

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I'm ambivilent about CGI. I think I always spot it, and spotting it annoys me. But, on the other hand, I'm often amused and surprised at what film and tv makers chose to CGI. I applaud their inventiveness. I think I can always spot it. For me, CGI landscapes have a lack of "something" (and I don't know what that "something" is) that can depress me. In Avatar for instance, I enjoyed the 3D but was still underwhelmed by the CGI because for me it has a flatness and lack of light or life, or something. Maybe I'm just lost in a bubble of irrational hatred!
I guess I'm an easy target. For example; the opening of DS9, when they altered it for the Defiant? I always thought it was a model in the opening titles, but was surprised to find out it was CGI, and that was over a decade + ago. My friend, however, hates the new opening because of the Defiant being an obvious CGI...go figure..

Rob
I haven't seen any DS9 in a while, but I didn't know that! I'm off to youtube to check that out!

Well here's the intro to season 6 with the Defiant. Looks fine to me. I can't tell it's CG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsOE73pxpys
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 02:44 PM   #11
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: and Eye for CGI

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I'm ambivilent about CGI. I think I always spot it, and spotting it annoys me. But, on the other hand, I'm often amused and surprised at what film and tv makers chose to CGI. I applaud their inventiveness. I think I can always spot it. For me, CGI landscapes have a lack of "something" (and I don't know what that "something" is) that can depress me. In Avatar for instance, I enjoyed the 3D but was still underwhelmed by the CGI because for me it has a flatness and lack of light or life, or something. Maybe I'm just lost in a bubble of irrational hatred!
I guess I'm an easy target. For example; the opening of DS9, when they altered it for the Defiant? I always thought it was a model in the opening titles, but was surprised to find out it was CGI, and that was over a decade + ago. My friend, however, hates the new opening because of the Defiant being an obvious CGI...go figure..

Rob
I haven't seen any DS9 in a while, but I didn't know that! I'm off to youtube to check that out!

Well here's the intro to season 6 with the Defiant. Looks fine to me. I can't tell it's CG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsOE73pxpys
At least I'm not the only one..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral
 
Jonas Grumby's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere in the South Pacific
Re: and Eye for CGI

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm just lost in a bubble of irrational hatred!
I tried to create a bubble of irrational hatred with CGI once. Never could get it to look quite real.
__________________
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: and Eye for CGI

So your friend can tell that the stories-tall robots in Transformers and the bug-aliens in District 9 are CGI?

Wow. He's... awesome... I guess?



I'm a bigger fan of more practical effects because I think it looks better but CGI done well can look very, very good.

The disaster scenes in 2012, the scenes in District 9 dealing with the aliens, alien equipment, the establishing shots with the ship, the dino-CGI in Jurassic Park and so much more all looks, very, very good. But your friend would shrug it all off because he "knows" it's CGI?



Why should knowing how an effect was done ruin a movie? Sure if the effect is done poorly then, sure, I can buy that. Countless movies with poor CGI in it that just looks terrible and ruins the involvement of the movie. But just being CGI shouldn't ruin a movie anymore than models, stop-motion or any other SFX technique would.

"I hate Moon! I can just tell all of those effects were done with a mix of models and CGI!"
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 03:12 PM   #14
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: and Eye for CGI

The best CGI is the kind you don't notice is CGI at first glance. And of course the kind that can completely overwhelm you on how real it looks when immersed in a live action setting.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 04:55 PM   #15
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: and Eye for CGI

^ That's my favourite bit: cgi in a mostly live-action setting. That's the stuff I enjoy seeing and, ironically, recognising. I'm often thinking: oh, it's cgi, what a good idea! There was a tower a couple of weeks back in Lost made from cgi, and I was so impressed!
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.