Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old February 14 2010, 05:48 PM   #91
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Vancouver Olympics Discussion

They probably will end up doing so. That track is only a few years old--not a few decades. It was being publicly prided as "the fastest in the world." It was designed to facilitate more speed. A Vancouver blogger made an astute point--if Nodar had been thrown off his sled but suffered his fatal head injury on the track within its walls the officials absolving the track would have a point--but the walls being so short that they allowed his body to fly off the track completely and into the beam....that proves something was deficient in the track design. If you can go airborne off the track, something's wrong with it. The fact they lowered the starting point and heightened the walls acknowledges this.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 06:40 PM   #92
Locutus
Captain

I guess my point of view is sort of tailored by the fact that I'm an auto racing fan. To my view, there is always an inherent risk in any speed-related sport. Ten years ago, Dale Earnhardt was killed in an incident that looked far less than many far worse looking accidents. That accident led to changes that have since saved lives.

This track in Vancouver was known for its speed. There was never a problem at the "Out" until that day. Until there was a racer who entered the corner already losing control. I'd agree with you that there probably should have been a wall there to begin with. But it's important to remember that in speed events, accidents happen. Tragic accidents, for certain. But they happen.
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 07:25 PM   #93
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Didn't Dale senior die because he refused to use that that specially designed protection device, I forget what it's called, that basically secures your head in place? I didn't really start watching Nascar until after number three died.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old February 14 2010, 07:27 PM   #94
Roger Wilco
Admiral

HANS?
Old February 14 2010, 07:30 PM   #95
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

That's what I was thinking of. Thanks.

Old February 14 2010, 09:58 PM   #96
Locutus
Captain

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Didn't Dale senior die because he refused to use that that specially designed protection device, I forget what it's called, that basically secures your head in place? I didn't really start watching Nascar until after number three died.
At the time, that safety device wasn't mandatory. The next week, it was. (And it probably should have been mandatory, just like that wall probably should have been there. Sometimes, though, humans won't do anything about something until it bites you in the ass.)
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 10:08 PM   #97
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Yeah, I agree. That makes sense.

Old February 14 2010, 11:03 PM   #98
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

So, as to the games (And I must admit, I really can't talk about them that much unless someone wants to see what I have to say at least 3-6 hours after the fact ), I was watching a bit of the Biathlon today and man was it snowing hard. They said it doesn't affect the targets, but I would think it would because visibility is so low. Of course I really don't follow it so I don't know.

As for last night, some thoughts, again probably really old news to everyone else

-I think I have a new favorite event. That short-track is awesome to watch. I mean for Ohno's first race he passed everyone, and everyone around him just fell. It was kinda like that old children game of Patty Cake, only this time it was on skates going about 30 MPH on a short oval. Loved seeing Ohno and Celski get silver and bronze. Very exciting racing.

-Luge is a bit boring, which surprises me because I thought it was ok other years. Maybe it was just so late and after the excitements of the finals I was ready to turn it off and go do something else (Like go to bed) I was surprised they left it on and went to Luge.

-Really enjoyed the Woman's moguls last night, seeing Kearny and Burke win. Good for the US again in that event. Today seems to be an off day for viewing, but I wouldn't mind seeing more Moguls action.
Old February 14 2010, 11:33 PM   #99
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

^ Mens moguls is on now. Finals will be later in the night.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 12:07 AM   #100
Malleus
Admiral

At least that reclusive turncoat Dale Begg-Smith isn't in a good position to win moguls gold. Go Marquis! Go Gingras! Go Bilodeau!
Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 12:44 AM   #101
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

ElimParra wrote: View Post
^ Mens moguls is on now. Finals will be later in the night.
That's what I mean. It will probably be during the prime time coverage.
Old February 15 2010, 12:46 AM   #102
Colonel Green
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
So, as to the games (And I must admit, I really can't talk about them that much unless someone wants to see what I have to say at least 3-6 hours after the fact ),
Not sure if its available in the US, but CTV is streaming a lot of events live.

- Homer
Colonel Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 12:59 AM   #103
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

Colonel Green wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
So, as to the games (And I must admit, I really can't talk about them that much unless someone wants to see what I have to say at least 3-6 hours after the fact ),
Not sure if its available in the US, but CTV is streaming a lot of events live.
But because of the US IP Address, I can't get that since it's not "geographically appropriate"
Old February 15 2010, 02:01 AM   #104
Yoda
Rear Admiral

God I hate NBC's Olympic coverage. I mean, I think showing everything on a tape delay is nonsense when the games are on the other side of the planet. But to live in the very same fucking time zone and not get live events? What a joke. Sorry, sports just aren't meant to be watched on a delayed basis.

There are lots of other issues with NBC's coverage... I could probably bitch for three pages about just Bob Fucking Costas. But I'll stop.

The Olympics should be cool, but they aren't thanks to NBC.
Old February 15 2010, 02:19 AM   #105
Steven
Admiral

YES!!!!!

Congrats to Alexandre Bilodeau, Canada's first Olympic gold on home soil!