RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 669
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old February 14 2010, 06:37 AM   #76
Malleus
Admiral

Re: Vancouver Olympics Discussion

Congratulations to Hannah Kearney for her own redemptive gold medal in women's moguls. We're good and nice hosts with smiles on our faces on the head start by the massive US Olympic team, but only up to a point.

That doesn't excuse the performances of speedskaters Charles Hamelin or Oliver Jean.
Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 06:43 AM   #77
Colonel Green
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Colonel Green wrote: View Post
But for some reason the US should be granted special dispensation?
No, I proposed putting the Uzbekistan athletes *before* the US ones so that we wouldn't drown them out.

- Homer
Colonel Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 06:53 AM   #78
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Personally, I still think the designer of the luge track should be sued for every last dime he has for negligence. That track was designed solely to facilitate the fastest speed possible without proper safety precautions--no padding on the beams in such close proximity to low walls? Low walls when the lugers could accelerate past 90mph? At least four lugers crashed in practice and voiced reservations about the track before Nodar's fatal crash. An inexperienced luger like him was bound to get hurt. Someone's butt ought to be in a sling, but nothing will happen. That last picture of Nodar I saw on the internet blog I came across was horrific.

He was just a kid. His father dreams all his life that his son will follow in his footsteps to medal in luge, and this happens? Terrible.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 07:03 AM   #79
Tim
Vice Admiral

Malleus wrote: View Post
...the massive US Olympic team...
Well, Canada's team is only slightly less massive and the host country typically does well in the Olympics, so I don't think the Canadians need to worry.

Pretty surprising end to men's short track and a fantastic performance by Kearney in women's moguls.
Old February 14 2010, 07:09 AM   #80
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Just finished watching the Canada/Slovakia women's hockey game. Canada won 18-0. I feel kinda bad for the Slovaks.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 07:17 AM   #81
Malleus
Admiral

You dish some, you get some. The Slovaks trounced Bulgaria by over 80 (yes, 80) goals in a preliminary tournament game.
Old February 14 2010, 07:26 AM   #82
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^Holy crap! I hadn't heard.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 07:29 AM   #83
Malleus
Admiral

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...3MsHXp0U3RYslw (82-0)
Old February 14 2010, 08:18 AM   #84
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I'm surprised he was still recognisable at all after slamming into that pillar, and I don't think padding would have made any difference there. Besides the speed of the track, the question should be why there such concrete pillars right next to the track in the first place and why the ice walls weren't high enough to prevent flying off like that.
And I agree the designer should be sued, and also the people who decided it's safe to race there.
Old February 14 2010, 08:34 AM   #85
Locutus
Captain

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I'm surprised he was still recognisable at all after slamming into that pillar, and I don't think padding would have made any difference there. Besides the speed of the track, the question should be why there such concrete pillars right next to the track in the first place and why the ice walls weren't high enough to prevent flying off like that.
And I agree the designer should be sued, and also the people who decided it's safe to race there.
Regardless, you should keep in mind that that track has had more than 5000 runs on it since it was built, and has had only one significant incident. A tragedy, yes, which has led to alterations, but in general it has been utilized as a safe, albeit extremely fast, track. Had he not lost control of his sled heading into the final corner, there probably would not have been the incident.
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 10:54 AM   #86
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Re: Anti Plympic Protesters
WTF is up with these loosers they break shit, windows etc then they blame the police who are only doing their jobs, they get no sympathy from me.
Old February 14 2010, 03:18 PM   #87
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

"Olympic Resistance Network..."

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 04:32 PM   #88
Malleus
Admiral

Johnnyracefan wrote: View Post
Re: Anti Plympic Protesters
WTF is up with these loosers they break shit, windows etc then they blame the police who are only doing their jobs, they get no sympathy from me.
There is such a thing as an agent provocateur, you know.

That's what happened during a Quebec protest a few years back, and it's becoming more common. Police plant provocateurs among the idiots who don't like to change protest tactics, and those agents start trouble.

If you want to see real action, check out the massive Greece protests and strikes against budget cuts right now.

Since I don't like to detract from the sporting events myself, I suggest our three posts (yours, mine, and Laser Beam's) be moved into TNZ.
Old February 14 2010, 05:37 PM   #89
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

Locutus wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Regardless, you should keep in mind that that track has had more than 5000 runs on it since it was built, and has had only one significant incident. A tragedy, yes, which has led to alterations, but in general it has been utilized as a safe, albeit extremely fast, track. Had he not lost control of his sled heading into the final corner, there probably would not have been the incident.
but people crash all the time in the olympics.
anyone who didnt understand this never bothered to watch the olympics before.

you have to plan for this...
Old February 14 2010, 06:09 PM   #90
Agenda
Fleet Captain

His family should sue.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote