RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 527
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 8 2010, 07:22 AM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: Anime recomendations

I just watched the first episodes of Blood+, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Samurai Champloo. I really liked all three, and will definitely be keeping up with them. I also watched the third episode of GitS:SAC, and I have to admit the ending confused me. What was up with the Jeri grabbing the guy and quoting the movie? I have to admit I've actually had this same problem with the other two episodes too, I've been having alot of trouble keeping up with it.
Old February 8 2010, 07:24 AM   #32
Meredith
Vice Admiral

I can't say enough good things about Crest of the Stars, or Banner of the Stars.
Old February 8 2010, 02:14 PM   #33
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I just watched the first episodes of Blood+, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Samurai Champloo. I really liked all three, and will definitely be keeping up with them. I also watched the third episode of GitS:SAC, and I have to admit the ending confused me. What was up with the Jeri grabbing the guy and quoting the movie? I have to admit I've actually had this same problem with the other two episodes too, I've been having alot of trouble keeping up with it.
Basically, that it was supposed to be just a run of the mill basic doll that only did what you programmed it to do, however, it went beyond that and acted on it's own will. Also expect a lot more of that to come as the philosophical and psychological exploration of the boundary between man and machine is one of the central themes of the franchise. GITS: SAC is a pretty good balance of a thinking man's series and some not so sophisticated violence which is one of the reasons why it's one of my absolute favorites.
Old February 8 2010, 03:37 PM   #34
JD
Admiral

Ok, that's what I thought. I'm usually pretty good at picking up on this kind of stuff, I don't know what my problem has been with SAC.
Old February 8 2010, 06:16 PM   #35
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

While the series is mostly episodic, there is a great story arc for the first season too, which begins with the events of episode 4 and sets up the stage for some major future events.
Old February 8 2010, 06:32 PM   #36
Pilot Ace
Captain

I still haven't seen the second series of GitS. Someday!
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 06:52 PM   #37
Maab of the Ten Tribes
Captain

JD, first of all I'd recommend sticking with GiTS. My favorite was the 2nd season (2nd gig as its called) and the movie after the 2nd season (solid state society) was good as well and it continues after the events of the 2nd season. So hang in there with it.

I loved Blood+ as well. Thats another long running series (50 eps if im not mistaken) so just hang in there with it. It does have a few weaker episodes here and there but overall its a great series. It does some great character building.

As for Fullmetal Alchemist you might want to try Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's premiering this weekend (Saturday night at 12am) on adult swim. It's a "re-do" in effect that follows the mangas storyline. The original anime strayed around 12 episodes in and it took a different path from the manga's story. They just recently last year reanimated it with this new series. Check it out if you can. From what i've seen its animated beautifully.
Maab of the Ten Tribes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 07:20 PM   #38
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post
I still haven't seen the second series of GitS. Someday!
You can get it for $25, nowadays at DD.
Old February 8 2010, 08:30 PM   #39
SlaveOfSeven
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Ok, that's what I thought. I'm usually pretty good at picking up on this kind of stuff, I don't know what my problem has been with SAC.
It sometimes takes a slightly oblique approach, I think. Also it often drops complex ideas in your lap with little exposition, such as the "stand alone complex" idea itself, which seems to be related to chaos theory and emergent phenomena, or perhaps antichaos instead. Must admit, I found myself scratching my head a few times when the main story got going (the second season as well, for that matter).

Seems to me the Japanese approach to telling stories in general is to leave out a lot of the expository detail and let the viewer fill in the blanks; much more so than in the west. I base this observation on the viewing of many anime and a handful of Japanese horror films, so it must be true.

Edit: of course, GitSAC is like a straightforward, dumb harem show compared to Serial Experiments Lain.

Last edited by SlaveOfSeven; February 8 2010 at 08:49 PM.
SlaveOfSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 09:18 PM   #40
Pilot Ace
Captain

SlaveOfSeven wrote: View Post
Edit: of course, GitSAC is like a straightforward, dumb harem show compared to Serial Experiments Lain.
Serial Experiments Lain is also a pretty bad show.

Half kidding, I've seen it once and thought it was confused and bad. I should give it another shot someday, given the praise it receives.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 09:40 PM   #41
clint g
Admiral

I didnt like the show either until I gave it a second viewing. I guess it's better once you realize exactly how much of a mind fuck it is lol.
Old February 9 2010, 02:15 AM   #42
Showdown
Fleet Captain

Check out Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Rurouni Kenshin.
Old February 9 2010, 03:53 AM   #43
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
I didnt like the show either until I gave it a second viewing. I guess it's better once you realize exactly how much of a mind fuck it is lol.
Yes, and it also helps if you have a web development certification too, like I do, so you can grasp some of the mumbo jumbo about internet protocols and such and their relation to The Wired. At any rate, I thought it was pretty good, but hell I don't completely understand it and I own the thing and have watched it through 10+ times. Each time you watch it though, you find something that you missed and put another piece into the puzzle. I have good memories of watching it late at night on the, now deceased, Anime Unleashed block on the former TechTV. I remember losing sleep many nights mulling over what went on and trying to figure out what was going on and what would happen next.
Old February 10 2010, 02:33 PM   #44
Starbrow
Lieutenant Commander

For Cosmos oriented Sci-Fi:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: The story is staged in the distant future within our own Milky Way Galaxy, approximately in the 35th century. Unlike many science fiction stories, there are no alien civilizations. A portion of the galaxy is filled with terraformed worlds inhabited by interstellar traveling human beings. For 150 years two mighty space powers have intermittently warred with each other: the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance.

Heroic Age: Set in a distant future, Heroic Age tells the story of the quest of the human race to find the messianic individual that holds the power to save mankind.

For Ninja/Samurai genre:
Gintama: Its like Bleach, just focused more on a comedy side.
Starbrow is offline   Reply With Quote