Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2010, 12:01 AM   #106
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
*Deep breath and I apologise for hogging the thread...

Okay, I promise this is my last word. For what it's worth, I generally find your posts agreeable and informed (especially in the Dr Who forum) and I say so in all sincerity, not to be patronising.
I appreciate the kind words. To be completely honest I can see how I came across as being a little unreasonable. Please accept my apologies for any lack of civility I may have displayed.

And it was speculation on my part that you may have believed that Farrell was a Brit. But a few days ago in the Treklit forum, I posted in jest about how believable Sean Connery, Mickey Rooney and John Wayne were as Asians in You Only Live Twice, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Ghengis Khan and two people thought I was serious. So, ... well you never know on the BBS, okay?!
Framed in that context, it's certainly excusable.

Okay, I missed the jest part. My bad.
No harm, no foul.

I don't intend to amend the Wikipedia entry (I'm not registered in Wikipedia) but I think that that website is well know for not being 100% reliable and I'd say that this is another example.
Fair points. Two counters: First, as I understand it, no need to register at Wikipedia in order to edit most page. Anonymous edits are possible. Second, studies have shown that Wikipedia is in general at least as accurate as the most widely regarded print encyclopedias, especially in the areas of science, mathematics, and history. I would never recommend to anyone that Wikipedia be taken as gospel truth or as a primary source in any kind of serious research or anything, but as a starting point in a casual discussion/argument, I've found Wikipedia to generally be more than accurate enough to count, especially on the really high quality articles with lots of referenced sources.

All I can say is that the majority of people in Ireland do not use or subscribe to the term British Isles in relation to our island.
I agree with this, and I have all along. My only point is that the rest of the world does not share that opinion. Am I wrong? It's quite possible, but I think I can access enough current (not outdated) subject matter to back my claim. It's not unusual for there to be differences in semantics in different countries, even in academic areas. This is nothing unusual to me. Sorry if I seemed to make such a major case out of it.

I think as the subject of the discussion we're entitled to a deciding vote on it. If you don't agree - well, fine. Nothing I can do about it. But I think you should be a little less dismissive and flippant of the view from the thick of it, so to speak.
Well, sure, you guys are most certainly allowed to decide what you guy want to call yourselves and your island. That doesn't mean that the rest of the world is bound to follow suit. As an example, I believe that a certain South American country does not ever call South America by that name, but by another. I'd heard of this before way back in school but it's been a long time so I'd have to look it up again. However, in the rest of the world, South America is South America.

The 'shuffle off' bit wasn't really helpful.
Agreed. That was uncalled for. My apologies.

At any rate, sorry that this whole thing dragged out so much. I really did just make my initial comment to be cheeky, and not at all to stir up anything. But as I often do, I got carried away with the (very minor) crapstorm that developed.

I'm cool if you're cool.
Old February 9 2010, 12:16 AM   #107
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Cool as ice mate. Let's move on and wait for the inevitable shitstorm when they cast Captain America ...
Old February 9 2010, 12:20 AM   #108
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Yes, indeed. I bet it'll be Don Cheadle.
Old February 9 2010, 12:22 AM   #109
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ And he'll be replaced by Terrance Howard for the sequel.
Old February 9 2010, 12:56 AM   #110
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Nice twist!
Old February 9 2010, 01:41 AM   #111
Skywalker
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Some additional info on what to expect from Johnston
- Chuck" co-star Ryan McPartlin confirmed to Moviehole he tested for the film
Awesome.
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
while a rumor at Big Shiny Robot suggested One Tree Hill star Chad Michael Murray tested for the role.
Noooooo!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 02:07 AM   #112
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Jeebus Cripes look at what I started! Almost damn near started an international incident. Haha
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 05:40 AM   #113
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Jeebus Cripes look at what I started! Almost damn near started an international incident. Haha
And for no frakkin' reason since apparently it's going to go to an American actor anyway.

Which I think is unnecessary - 99% of the audience doesn't know or care where any actor comes from, just get the accent right - and I'm not liking the talk about getting a total unknown because McPartlin is so perfect for the part!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 05:52 AM   #114
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And for no frakkin' reason since apparently it's going to go to an American actor anyway.

Which I think is unnecessary -
... but desirable. It would be too embarrassing if it got out that a dialect coach was needed for the lead actor.
Old February 9 2010, 05:56 AM   #115
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Any actor who wanted to be taken seriously for the role would already have honed his accent to perfection before he showed up for the audition. It's not the producers' job to ensure actors have the qualifications for the job, and they don't have to - there's plenty more actors in the waiting room - an "unknown" had better not show up with any deficiencies in such a competitive field. Karl Urban managed to pull off not just an American accent but a very specific variety of a regional accent - McCoy's mild Georgia lilt. If he couldn't do that, he wouldn't have gotten the job (or I sure hope he wouldn't have).
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 06:07 AM   #116
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Any actor who wanted to be taken seriously for the role would already have honed his accent to perfection before he showed up for the audition.
We would hope so, but lots of weak American accents continue to get a pass in TV shows and movies.

This article grades a bunch of actors who have attempted to speak "American," with varying degrees of success:

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/200...vision_is.html
Old February 9 2010, 07:23 AM   #117
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Any actor who wanted to be taken seriously for the role would already have honed his accent to perfection before he showed up for the audition.
We would hope so, but lots of weak American accents continue to get a pass in TV shows and movies.

This article grades a bunch of actors who have attempted to speak "American," with varying degrees of success:

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/200...vision_is.html
BY giving Hugh Laurie an A+ they lost me. Though the first comment nails why Laurie is both right and wrong:
Clio on Bostonglobe.com wrote:
Hugh Laurie's situation fascinates me - he actually doesn't do a great US accent, his vowels are often all over the place. He does what Rachel Griffiths does (and what Matthew Rhys has picked up from her), front loads on the consonants with B-movie hardboiled focus in the hopes that no one notices their o's and a's are out of whack. The brilliance of Laurie is that he's turned his limitation into another aspect of his characterization. Of course House talks crabby in a way no other American talks crabby - that's totally in line with his contrarian self.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 03:44 PM   #118
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I can see where having an unknown helps sell the movie as a Captain America movie vs "Tom Cruise" as Captain America or whoever's next big role. Even before Depp was Sparrow and RDJ Iron Man they were niche actors, not marquee in the sense studios wanted them for tentpole projects.

Are there any 'known' actors that might fit a similar bill and be right for Steve/Cap? Last time a relative unknown was cast as a big name superhero it didn't pan out for that Brandon Routh guy.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 03:49 PM   #119
Saul
Rear Admiral

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
I agree with this, and I have all along. My only point is that the rest of the world does not share that opinion. Am I wrong? It's quite possible, but I think I can access enough current (not outdated) subject matter to back my claim. It's not unusual for there to be differences in semantics in different countries, even in academic areas. This is nothing unusual to me. Sorry if I seemed to make such a major case out of it.
So does a majority belief in something make it true or real?
Old February 9 2010, 04:28 PM   #120
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Yes, indeed. I bet it'll be Don Cheadle.
I myself am hoping for Eddie Izzard.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote