Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 12 2010, 03:23 PM   #1081
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

^ He was in an Irish programme called Pure Mule either this year or late last year, playing an English character. Sounded convincing to me, FWIW.
Old November 19 2010, 06:20 PM   #1082
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The release schedule for Captain America domestic and international has been released.

It opens in North America/Canada on July 22.
Italy - July 27
Russia - July 28
Australia - July 28
United Kingdom - July 29
Spain - August 5
Greece - September 1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2010, 10:55 PM   #1083
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ I would have thought that Captain America to be a no-brainer for a July 4th weekend release. They could probably make bank on a July 4th preview showing.
Old November 19 2010, 11:02 PM   #1084
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Transformers 3 is releasing around the July 4th weekend; I wouldn't want to put my movie anywhere near that.

On the other hand, Captain America is releasing a week after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, so, you're kind of screwed either way...
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2010, 02:31 AM   #1085
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The box office next summer is going to be intriguing to follow.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 04:15 AM   #1086
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Read the article today and my anticipation for the film is pretty much in the dumps. Hollywood liberalism destroys another American institution. Johnston says Captain America is not a flag waver...he's dressed as a flag, you douche! This movie "is not so much about America" then what is is about, Denmark?

Steve Rogers was so patriotic that he volunteered for a dangerous experiment so that he could serve his country. His patriotism shaped his character. He's Captain America, not Captain Lukewarm American or Captain Global Citizen but that's Hollywood for you.
When you go Captain America, the flag-waving and patriotism comes with the character. We don't need to see another character turned into a loathing, selfish anti-hero. That's not Captain America.
Sorry, but from your posts it seems the only one who don't understand much about Cap's motivations and appeal is you. Have you actually read the comics? Or are you basing your analysis on "he wears a flag, he's called Captain America, of course he's about America, rah-rah!". He's much more than that.
Yes, I have actually read the comics and I know that this is movie is Hollywood Political Correctness run amok. You have a Captain America who is indifferent about his country and a World War II film set in the European theater where Nazis aren't the villains. How is this a Captain America movie?

This movie is going to SUUUUUUCK. Wake me up when the Avengers movie is here. I'm sure if Hollywood has its way, they'll be fighting the evil forces of the American government.

Last edited by DarthPipes; November 22 2010 at 04:30 AM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 04:59 AM   #1087
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The Nazis ARE the villains. HYDRA are just supposed to be the Super-Nazis who were worse than the usual ones.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 05:00 AM   #1088
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Yes, I have actually read the comics and I know that this is movie is Hollywood Political Correctness run amok. You have a Captain America who is indifferent about his country and a World War II film set in the European theater where Nazis aren't the villains. How is this a Captain America movie?

This movie is going to SUUUUUUCK. Wake me up when the Avengers movie is here. I'm sure if Hollywood has its way, they'll be fighting the evil forces of the American government.
What? Where do you get the idea that Cap is "indifferent" about his country in this movie? "Hollywood Political Correctness" run amuck???? Nah, its Hollywood's we need to make money in foreign markets. Its all about the money not any need to be PC. I agree about using Hydra as the main villians. Why use the knockoffs when the originals are available? (Who doesn't hate Nazis?) Though I suspect the Nazis will be secondary villains.

I've been reading Cap pretty regularly since about 1969. When written correctly he manages to be patriotic and representative of the American Dream and ideal without waving flags, fireworks or parades.
Old November 22 2010, 05:46 AM   #1089
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I say fuck the foreign markets. This movie is going to be awful and watering it down or adding artificial internationalism isn't going to help. De-Americanizing GI Joe and Superman did those films no favors. It's not going to be Captain America and I hope this film goes down in flames.
Old November 22 2010, 05:53 AM   #1090
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I say fuck the foreign markets. This movie is going to be awful and watering it down or adding artificial internationalism isn't going to help. De-Americanizing GI Joe and Superman did those films no favors. It's not going to be Captain America and I hope this film goes down in flames.
Because Cap never worked with International heroes during World War II.

One would argue that most of America's greatest supporters and the greatest supporters of American ideals have been the country's greatest critics.

Being a patriot does not equal being a tunnel visioned nationalist. In fact, fighting the Nazi forces by embodying the ideals of Freedom and of Free thought is about as Captain America as you can get!
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 06:07 AM   #1091
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Ah but he's not fighting Nazis in this film. He's fighting Hollywood's safe villains.
Old November 22 2010, 07:14 AM   #1092
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Ah but he's not fighting Nazis in this film. He's fighting Hollywood's safe villains.
Well, once again, The Invaders spent a lot of time fighting villains other than Nazis. And was The Red Skull not a Nazi?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 08:18 AM   #1093
captcalhoun
Admiral

by Odin, I love Internet Fanboy Rage, it's so entertaining.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 03:30 AM   #1094
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Movies are a global industry. If they dont make the overseas grosses, they can fail financially. Capitalism, baby.

Watering what down? Cap isnt this gungho flag waving, gun blazing hero. He's not Rambo. He represents all that is right with America. Freedom, equality and fairplay. I've seen nothing to indicate these qualities will be "watered down" in this film.

Sorry but dropping "...and the America way" from the tag line/dialog of a Superman film in no way "De-Americanizes" the character. The phrase has dropped in and out of the mythos over the last 70 years. Its primary use was on the TV show and not in the comics anyway. Silly thing to get worked up over.

As for GI Joe, they lost me when they made him into a special ops team. The real GI Joe is a straight up soldier and is twice as big as those posers fighting Cobra.
Old November 23 2010, 03:40 AM   #1095
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Transformers 3 is releasing around the July 4th weekend; I wouldn't want to put my movie anywhere near that.

On the other hand, Captain America is releasing a week after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, so, you're kind of screwed either way...
Ouch. It's going to hurt more than Superman Returns premiering then a week later Pirates of the Caribbean pummeling it
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote