Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 8 2010, 03:55 PM   #91
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

^ When I pointed out that Farrell wasn't a Brit because he came from the ROI, you said that Ireland was part of the British Isles. That he was therefore a Brit was the obvious inference from your post.

Northern Unionists are quite entitled to regard themselves as Brits and I wouldn't for one second take that away from them. They're not part of Great Britain, but they're entitled to a British passport.I don't hold to the view that you can prick Unionists till they bleed green blood or Nationalists till they bleed Orange blood.

I'm not sure how you deign to speak for the majority of people in the world or of Northern Ireland - being from NI, I do think I can speak with more authority as to what they say or think. The rest of the world may indeed think that Ireland is part of the British Isles, but then again, more people in the US believe in angels than believe in evolution. Many people think Sean Connery is English. That doesn't make them right. And it's the same with the term British Isles.

I'm not being influence by nationalism (again, you suppose to know what other people think) but by simple facts. You can choose to ignore me and wallow in your outdatef understanding of this part of the world (which I suspect you will) or you can actually listen to the input of someone who actually lives here and is attempting to explain the situation to you as the majority here now see it.

If, for example, a black person was explaining to me why the term 'coloured' was now frowned on, I wouldn't say 'well, white people have been using it for years and it's very clear what it means', I'd respect their view on it and take on board how terms and descriptions change over the years. Perhaps you should consider doing the same.
Old February 8 2010, 04:07 PM   #92
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ When I pointed out that Farrell wasn't a Brit because he came from the ROI, you said that Ireland was part of the British Isles. That he was therefore a Brit was the obvious inference from your post.
That would be true if I were being serious. I made it VERY clear in that post that I was posting in jest.

I'm not sure how you deign to speak for the majority of people in the world or of Northern Ireland
I don't speak for the majority of the world. Geography books and the Encylopedia Brittanica do that. I'm just parroting them.

That alone makes answering the rest of your post kind of moot. Now shuffle off.
Old February 8 2010, 04:14 PM   #93
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Outdated ones. You don't find the term in modern ones, at least not ones in these islands. You might find the term 'colonies' referring to the US in old reference books, but that hardly makes it accurate today.

It wasn't clear to me that you spoke in jest - and even if it was, you might still have believed what you said - but it's certainly very clear that you're not prepared to engage in the civil debate that I was trying to have. End of conversation.
Old February 8 2010, 04:21 PM   #94
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Nick Fury: Samuel L. Jackson
Has that been confirmed, though? There has been talk that Jackson might not come back as Fury.
Gah?! No!?
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 04:23 PM   #95
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Ugh, double post.

Last edited by Chaos Descending; February 8 2010 at 04:37 PM.
Chaos Descending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 04:25 PM   #96
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

^Outdated ones. You don't find the term in modern ones, at least not ones in these islands. You might find the term 'colonies' referring to the US in old reference books, but that hardly makes it accurate today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...terminology%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...naming_dispute

Then I am sure you'll be more than happy to edit these Wikipedia article so that they keep up with the times.

It wasn't clear to me that you spoke in jest
I don't know how I could have been clearer, I stated it exactly thus in my post.

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Ireland is one of the "British Isles".

You're welcome.

EDIT: Yes, although this post does contain a true factoid, it is in fact meant in jest.
Yes, there is an edit there, but the edit was added about ten seconds after the original post was made, and LONG before you replied to it.

- and even if it was, you might still have believed what you said -
Pure speculation on your part.

but it's certainly very clear that you're not prepared to engage in the civil debate that I was trying to have
I'm pretty sure that what you're trying to say is, "I'm right and you're wrong, and since you won't listen to me, you must not be doing it right".

Sorry mate, that dog don't hunt.
Old February 8 2010, 04:33 PM   #97
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Right now I'm wishing I never brought up Colin Farrell's name.
Old February 8 2010, 04:36 PM   #98
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Me too. He's a terrible actor.
Old February 8 2010, 04:49 PM   #99
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...terminology%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...naming_dispute

Then I am sure you'll be more than happy to edit these Wikipedia article so that they keep up with the times.

It wasn't clear to me that you spoke in jest
I don't know how I could have been clearer, I stated it exactly thus in my post.

Yes, there is an edit there, but the edit was added about ten seconds after the original post was made, and LONG before you replied to it.

- and even if it was, you might still have believed what you said -
Pure speculation on your part.

but it's certainly very clear that you're not prepared to engage in the civil debate that I was trying to have
I'm pretty sure that what you're trying to say is, "I'm right and you're wrong, and since you won't listen to me, you must not be doing it right".

Sorry mate, that dog don't hunt.
*Deep breath and I apologise for hogging the thread...

Okay, I promise this is my last word. For what it's worth, I generally find your posts agreeable and informed (especially in the Dr Who forum) and I say so in all sincerity, not to be patronising.

And it was speculation on my part that you may have believed that Farrell was a Brit. But a few days ago in the Treklit forum, I posted in jest about how believable Sean Connery, Mickey Rooney and John Wayne were as Asians in You Only Live Twice, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Ghengis Khan and two people thought I was serious. So, ... well you never know on the BBS, okay?!

Okay, I missed the jest part. My bad.

I don't intend to amend the Wikipedia entry (I'm not registered in Wikipedia) but I think that that website is well know for not being 100% reliable and I'd say that this is another example.

All I can say is that the majority of people in Ireland do not use or subscribe to the term British Isles in relation to our island. I think as the subject of the discussion we're entitled to a deciding vote on it. If you don't agree - well, fine. Nothing I can do about it. But I think you should be a little less dismissive and flippant of the view from the thick of it, so to speak. The 'shuffle off' bit wasn't really helpful.

Bad Bishop - next time, just mention Dominic West's American accent, will ya mate?! (Hang on, he's got an Irish mother , scratch that...)

Let's resume normal service. CAPTAIN AMERICA MUST BE PLAYED BY AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 8 2010, 05:04 PM   #100
Saul
Rear Admiral

As a fellow Irish man I can say "Ireland is not under the name of the British isles". Take it from someone who is born and raised there and knows the deal. However, if anyone wants to contradict that then lets stir up more shit and say America is a colony of Britain and British people are actually French!

Oh yeah, I learn History from books, not wikipedia.
Old February 8 2010, 05:05 PM   #101
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Bad Bishop - next time, just mention Dominic West's American accent, will ya mate?! (Hang on, he's got an Irish mother , scratch that...)
Then it's simpler if I just continue picking on Gerard Butler...

Let's resume normal service. CAPTAIN AMERICA MUST BE PLAYED BY AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely. After all, Batman's a Brit (oops, there I go again) and Green Lantern's Canadian (but both actors were excellent picks, I admit).
Old February 8 2010, 05:06 PM   #102
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ And don't get me started on Gerard Butler's Irish accent ...
Old February 8 2010, 06:31 PM   #103
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Breaking away from the Scottish/Irish/British discussion

Some additional info on what to expect from Johnston
- Chuck" co-star Ryan McPartlin confirmed to Moviehole he tested for the film, while a rumor at Big Shiny Robot suggested One Tree Hill star Chad Michael Murray tested for the role.

- Red Skull will serve as the film's villain, a Nazi threat that causes the U.S. to turn Steve Rogers into 'Captain America'

- The WW2 superhero team The Invaders will serve as co-stars, a European team of around six people who will fight alongside the 'Captain'.

This is in addition to the news he'll have Cap/Steve cast in a few weeks. He does say, "The 'Captain' himself will be an unknown and he's currently testing half a dozen guys between 23 and 32 years old." So we can rule out Channing Tatum thank god.

As mentioned up thread the costume steeming out of an USO gig seems correct. However, once we get to present day the costume will alter to be less flashy.
Initial costume will be very much like the Jack Kirby version in the comic. Secondary costume will be less gratuitously patriotic - "more like a traditional set of fatigues, with lots of straps and buckles".
Can't wait for those first casting announements.
Seems if Red Skull is going to be the main baddie than 90% of the film will be set WWII as I'd think some origin time is spent on him as well. The closing 10-15min of the film may be the only moments in present day.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 10:20 PM   #104
captcalhoun
Admiral

i'm betting the second costume looks like the Ultmate Cap one from Ultimates #1

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Armour/UltimateCap.jpg
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 10:33 PM   #105
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i'm betting the second costume looks like the Ultmate Cap one from Ultimates #1

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Armour/UltimateCap.jpg
May need to copy and paste that URL into your browser's address bar and then add an "?" to the end and hit enter in order to get the pic to show up.

That's what I needed to do.