Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 24 2010, 09:13 PM   #196
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
CHUD's objection is that "Most of these guys look like male models, and not the rough and tumble kind but the sort who cry when their nails get broken."

It's probably hard to find a young actor in Hollywood who is the rough & tough type - that's not the type that is in demand for most roles. Plus, isn't Steve Rogers supposed to be a skinny wimp who grows into a badass? It's no fun if they start off with the badass.

A six foot tall guy in his 20s can hit the gym and bulk up enough to pass for Cap. I'm more concerned that they get someone with talent and screen presence so that the transition to a "rough and tumble" leader is plausible.
This is a good point. So long as they cast someone who has talent and screen presence, as you said.
JacksonArcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 09:19 PM   #197
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I imdb'ed Crawford, wow. If they ever need to give Chris Pine's Kirk a younger brother (or evil twin), there's you're guy. But fandom will probably stage a revolt if they cast someone from Gossip Girl in the role. Better he was a furriner than a CW girly-boy!
What's up with the cast of Gossip Girl showing up in superhero movies as of late? Blake Lively was recently cast as the love interest in Green Lantern opposite Ryan Reynolds, and now Chance Crawford might be Captain America? Do studios enjoy pissing off fans by putting actors from Gossip Girl in nerdy comic-book movies?
Maybe the studios think Gossip Girl is a superhero! Her superpower - being able to know what other people are up to and spread the word!
Old February 24 2010, 09:24 PM   #198
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I imdb'ed Crawford, wow. If they ever need to give Chris Pine's Kirk a younger brother (or evil twin), there's you're guy. But fandom will probably stage a revolt if they cast someone from Gossip Girl in the role. Better he was a furriner than a CW girly-boy!
What's up with the cast of Gossip Girl showing up in superhero movies as of late? Blake Lively was recently cast as the love interest in Green Lantern opposite Ryan Reynolds, and now Chance Crawford might be Captain America? Do studios enjoy pissing off fans by putting actors from Gossip Girl in nerdy comic-book movies?
Maybe the studios think Gossip Girl is a superhero! Her superpower - being able to know what other people are up to and spread the word!
You're probably right.
JacksonArcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 09:26 PM   #199
FreezeC77
Commodore

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Joe Johnston said he was going for an unknown for Captain America. How are John Krasinski and Chance Crawford unknowns?
Wouldn't you have to watch the Office to know who John Krasinski is? .
He appeared opposite George Clooney in Leatherheads and has co-starred with the likes of Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep. He's not Tom Cruise or Matt Damon but he's far from unknown.
Sorry, but I counter your logic with my the Mom test. I called up my Dad to remind him that Team USA was on NBC right now and before I did I asked her if she knew who John Krasinski was and she said "who?" So there you go
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 09:30 PM   #200
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I had to IMDB:
Michael Cassidy, listed as the 'VI' one, cause I'm unafamiliar. He seems to have the basic look, can he act and appear as a leader?
Patrick Flueger, seems a little thin based on those IMDB pics. Of course a good 3mo training schedule could put bulk on him, or anyone for that matter. Again, how are is acting chops cause I've not seen 4400.
Scott Porter, these guys are unknown to me, Scott included. Didn't watch Friday Night Lights and not into Caprica yet. Its clear the studio has the look down, I could see him with the right hair cut and wardrobe as Cap. He seems to have the best 'physique ready' body for Cap.
Mike Vogel, ok I saw Cloverfield but didn't recall his name with a face. He doesn't stand out any better than the guys I've never seen. These guys are all 25-30 so Marvel isn't aiming for too young, they seem to be keeping in mind Cap needs to fit in with a 40yr old Iron Man and late20/early30ish Thor at some point so he needs to be more adult less 20something.

John Krasinski is the only one I'm well acquainted. He does have the acting ability covered, imo, and he has height but needs bulk. Not sure he'd be my pick despite liking him in other roles I've seen him.

Hey maybe like Thor,
Sources on both sides caution that an actor may not be found from the tests, which happened during Marvel's search for the man who would be "Thor." For that movie, currently shooting in Manhattan Beach, the studio conducted several rounds of testing but found its star, Chris Hemsworth, out of left field.
the guy who should be Cap will appear in a similar manner.
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 09:35 PM   #201
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Wouldn't you have to watch the Office to know who John Krasinski is? .
He appeared opposite George Clooney in Leatherheads and has co-starred with the likes of Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep. He's not Tom Cruise or Matt Damon but he's far from unknown.
Sorry, but I counter your logic with my the Mom test. I called up my Dad to remind him that Team USA was on NBC right now and before I did I asked her if she knew who John Krasinski was and she said "who?" So there you go
I counter your mum test with my mum test. I could ring her right now and she wouldn't know who Will Smith or Robert Downey Jr were. So much for mums!
Old February 24 2010, 09:52 PM   #202
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Patrick Flueger, seems a little thin based on those IMDB pics. Of course a good 3mo training schedule could put bulk on him, or anyone for that matter. Again, how are is acting chops cause I've not seen 4400.
I literally only caught a couple scenes - not a 4400 fan - and got that instant, "wow, that guy's got something" feeling. That doesn't happen much - most actors just seem flat and interchangeable.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 09:56 PM   #203
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I'm afraid that while I liked the 4400, I would have put him in the flat and interchangeable list rather than the something special one. But I'm always happy to be proven wrong.
Old February 24 2010, 09:57 PM   #204
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Stupid double post.

Last edited by Captaindemotion; February 24 2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Double post.
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 10:00 PM   #205
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Also Krasinski's girlfriend is that actress from The Devil Wears Prada - not Anne Hathaway, the other one - that seems to be good gossip rag fodder too.
Emily Blunt, who was cast as Black Widow in Iron Man 2, but had to bow out because of a scheduling conflict with Gulliver's Travels.
Old February 24 2010, 10:03 PM   #206
Aragorn
Admiral

Maybe they're desperately trying to attract the young female audience since they figure they've got a lock on young males? They're trying to cross the Spider-Man/Batman phenomenon with the Twilight phenomenon and create a movie that will kick Avatar's butt at the box office.
Taylor Lautner as the captain!!!!

So is Ryan Reynolds too busy?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 10:19 PM   #207
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Scott Porter is also high on WB's list to play the Flash when/if they get it off the ground.

Edit to add: Deadline Hollywood has some extra info, namely that the salary offer for the first film is $300,000 (although they'd be willing to pay Krasinski or Crawford a bit more) and that the actor playing Cap will have to sign a nine-film deal.

DH also says that they've heard from reliable sources that Joe Johnston briefly walked off of the film after Marvel told him the budget was too high and he'd have to take a pay cut, but they reached a compromise and Johnston returned to work.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; February 24 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 11:59 PM   #208
FreezeC77
Commodore

NINE film deal?

Christ. 3 Captain America solo movies, 3 Avengers movies and maybe 3 'cameo' type appearances in other characters films?
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2010, 12:18 AM   #209
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Those deals are mostly placeholders anyway it seems.
Something like a film tanking would put an end to that and they wouldn't persue you for more films.
Sam Jackson signed that 9 pic deal but at most he might have an integral part in 3 of those(Avengers), the other 6 I'd wager as cameos.
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2010, 12:50 AM   #210
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I counter your mum test with my mum test. I could ring her right now and she wouldn't know who Will Smith or Robert Downey Jr were. So much for mums!

My mom thought SMALLVILLE was about "little people." Really.