TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 15 2011, 07:13 PM   #1531
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

Dennis wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Looks like a $2 Halloween costume.
The USO outfit? It really does. It looks very much like the kind of thing they would have come up with in the 1940s or 50s - again, reference the old CA serial outfit (and maybe the movie costumer did).

As for "pissing on Kirby" - he's dead; he doesn't care, so...? Pleasing the folks who think this stuff is holy scripture isn't worth a single lost ticket sale.
I was talking about the costume used in the Matt Salinger movie. I like what they've done with the USO outfit, it's suitably cheesy and awkward looking.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 07:21 PM   #1532
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I was talking about the costume used in the Matt Salinger movie. I like what they've done with the USO outfit, it's suitably cheesy and awkward looking.
Yeah, it's certainly true of the Salinger monstrosity.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 08:21 PM   #1533
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Don't get me wrong. I love Cap. He's my favorite superhero. However, what is drawn and looks cool on paper doesn't always translate to live action in a movie made for mass audiences. Very few characters are able to pull that off. Cap isn't one of them.
I think they pulled it off very well in the 1990 movie. I know, I know... ears. Looks good anyway.

Next to Iron Man and Thor, it would look fucking stupid. I'm surprised you aren't arguing that the USO costume should be Cap's getup for the entire movie.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 08:57 PM   #1534
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Actually it looks fucking stupid all by itself.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 09:41 PM   #1535
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Don't get me wrong. I love Cap. He's my favorite superhero. However, what is drawn and looks cool on paper doesn't always translate to live action in a movie made for mass audiences. Very few characters are able to pull that off. Cap isn't one of them.
I think they pulled it off very well in the 1990 movie. I know, I know... ears. Looks good anyway.

While I appreciate the literal translation from page to screen and the actor wears it well, the costume still looks cheesy in live-action, especially in regards to what the character is suppose to be (a soldier). Comic fanboys might love it; general moviegoers will laugh it off the screen.

Besides...where's the chain-mail?!?!!? Total Hollywood hacks, I tell you!! No respect for the source material!!!11!!one! Kirby probably spun in his grave when he saw that!!!
Old June 15 2011, 09:46 PM   #1536
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

While I appreciate the literal translation from page to screen and the actor wears it well, the costume still looks cheesy in live-action, especially in regards to what the character is suppose to be (a soldier). Comic fanboys might love it; general moviegoers will laugh it off the screen.
That must be why that first Superman movie with Christopher Reeve flopped so horribly.

Oh, wait...
Old June 15 2011, 09:47 PM   #1537
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

JonnyQuest037 wrote: View Post
That must be why that first Superman movie with Christopher Reeve flopped so horribly.

Oh, wait...
That was the 70s, man.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 10:23 PM   #1538
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

And what does that have to do with anything? You said a literal translation of superhero costume wouldn't work onscreen, and I gave you an example where a literal translation not only worked, but was a massive hit that gave us three sequels.
Old June 15 2011, 10:40 PM   #1539
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

^And its most recent use in Superman Returns was also a massive hit that gave us three...wait.
Old June 15 2011, 10:41 PM   #1540
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Somehow I doubt most people went to see Superman: The Movie because of how faithful Superman's costume was to the comic book version.

X-Men put its heroes in black leather, rather than the yellow and blue costumes used in the comics, and it spawned a billion-dollar franchise.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 11:08 PM   #1541
UssGlenn
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
I think it will to be a joke with him just wearing that costume for one scene, and he will put on the official suit later on for the rest of the movie.
from what I can see of his leather jacket and blue helmet version, He's wearing at least the shirt portion under the leather jacket.
Old June 15 2011, 11:21 PM   #1542
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Oh, wait...
That was the 70s, man.
And the same conversations were going on then. I remember it well. People swore it couldn't be done. That no one would take it seriously.
But the filmmakers took it seriously. So it worked.

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
^And its most recent use in Superman Returns was also a massive hit that gave us three...wait.
They didn't use it in SR. They used a muted bastardy of it. They had no confidence in the source material. And it showed.
Old June 15 2011, 11:24 PM   #1543
CaptainCanada
Admiral

But the filmmakers took it seriously. So it worked.
It's really not that simple. Plenty of things have been taken seriously by the filmmakers and not worked.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 12:19 AM   #1544
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Oh, wait...
Sigh.

Clearly, you didn't bother to read my earlier post. Here, I'll quote if for you (I bolded the relevant phrases so you can follow along):

With Superman, it works given who he is and what the character is capable of.

It should also be noted that, going by your logic, the earlier Cap movie should have been a wide success because the costume was like the comic counterpart. It wasn't. In fact, it wasn't even released in theaters in the US. But the costume didn't make the difference there (actually, in most of the film, he either wasn't in it or was covering it up). In any event, what the character wears bears little, if any relation to the quality of the film.

And there is also my claim (which you ignored) that for a movie for general audiences (not only comic fans), a character wearing a costume like that, who is suppose to be a solider during one of the most violent conflicts in history, is going into battle wearing tights. I'm sorry, but that breaks the suspension of disbelief to far for a mass audience.
Old June 16 2011, 12:39 AM   #1545
davejames
Vice Admiral

Love the USO costume, and especially the idea of him having to start out as a sideshow propaganda tool the military apparently doesn't have much faith in.

Don't know the Captain America history very well, but it's an awesome idea and a great way to get us rooting for him.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote