Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 6 2010, 12:33 AM   #1
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Time Travel & DS9

I got to thinking about how some fans think that time travel in Star Trek has been over-used thus becomeing a cliché. However I believe DS9 used time travel to great effect instead of just being "another time travel episode of the week" In looking at the time travel episodes in DS9 an interesting pattern emerges. They didn't do any time travel in the first two seasons (The Emissary doesn't count) and then seasons 3 to six they only did two time travel episodes. Finally, there were no time travel episodes in the final seasons.

I don't know if that means anything but it's something that I noticed. As for what I mentioned about quality time travel episodes in DS9, "Times Orphan" is probably the weakest but at least the intention was decent if poor in execution. Anyway I'm pretty sure below I have all the time travel episodes listed, I don't think I missed one.

"Past Tense, Part I" - Season Three
"Past Tense, Part II" - Season Three
"The Visitor" - Season Four
"Little Green Men" - Season Four
"Trials And Tribble-ations" - Season Five
"Children Of Time" - Season Five
"Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night" - Season Six
"Times Orphan" - Season Sixx

Last edited by PorthosShadow; February 6 2010 at 12:48 AM.
PorthosShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 12:39 AM   #2
The Cutest of Borg
Rear Admiral

Re: Time Travel & DS9

I really liked how they acknowledged Sisko's historical interference that occurred in Past Tense. Nog's guidebook to Earth had Sisko's picture under the writeup for Gabriel Bell. DS9 gets high marks for continuity.

My Office Space spoof
The Cutest of Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 12:45 AM   #3
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

The Cutest of Borg wrote: View Post
I really liked how they acknowledged Sisko's historical interference that occurred in Past Tense. Nog's guidebook to Earth had Sisko's picture under the writeup for Gabriel Bell. DS9 gets high marks for continuity.
Which begs the old time-travel question, was "Gabriel Bell" always Sisko? I suppose not, since Sisko would have noticed something strange in history books... But I've always preferred that version of time travel to the one about changing the past, which frankly just doesn't make sense to me, unless you create a different timeline/universe in the process... which, again, should mean that the other timeline always existed as well, and they are both equally real.

The version of time-travel where people can actually change the past and the "earlier" past stops existing just always seemed illogical to me.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 01:18 AM   #4
Red Ranger
Admiral

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
I got to thinking about how some fans think that time travel in Star Trek has been over-used thus becomeing a cliché. However I believe DS9 used time travel to great effect instead of just being "another time travel episode of the week" In looking at the time travel episodes in DS9 an interesting pattern emerges. They didn't do any time travel in the first two seasons (The Emissary doesn't count) and then seasons 3 to six they only did two time travel episodes. Finally, there were no time travel episodes in the final seasons.

I don't know if that means anything but it's something that I noticed. As for what I mentioned about quality time travel episodes in DS9, "Times Orphan" is probably the weakest but at least the intention was decent if poor in execution. Anyway I'm pretty sure below I have all the time travel episodes listed, I don't think I missed one.

"Past Tense, Part I" - Season Three
"Past Tense, Part II" - Season Three
"The Visitor" - Season Four
"Little Green Men" - Season Four
"Trials And Tribble-ations" - Season Five
"Children Of Time" - Season Five
"Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night" - Season Six
"Times Orphan" - Season Sixx
I do agree. Most of the time-travel episodes had clever twists -- my favorites have always been The Visitor and Children of Time.

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
The Cutest of Borg wrote: View Post
Which begs the old time-travel question, was "Gabriel Bell" always Sisko? I suppose not, since Sisko would have noticed something strange in history books... But I've always preferred that version of time travel to the one about changing the past, which frankly just doesn't make sense to me, unless you create a different timeline/universe in the process... which, again, should mean that the other timeline always existed as well, and they are both equally real.

The version of time-travel where people can actually change the past and the "earlier" past stops existing just always seemed illogical to me.
Well, if you've never seen Twelve Monkeys, its take on time travel will appeal to you. Me, I can go either way -- the stories where time can be changed (like A Sound of Thunder), or where it just ends up making the time line worse (like in The Butterfly Effect -- not the best movie, but it had an interesting view of time travel.)

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 02:29 AM   #5
doctorfoto
Commodore

Also, I'll add:
Visionary, in which O'Brien experiences time shifts to five hours in the future, several times.
In Accession, Vedek Akorem Laan travels from Bajor's past to the present.
doctorfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 02:33 AM   #6
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
Well, if you've never seen Twelve Monkeys, its take on time travel will appeal to you.
It's one of my favorite SF movies, actually. I was going to mention it as an example of a time-travel story that worked for me.

I don't mind the Back to the Future kind of stories, either... it's just that I find them too paradoxical.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 02:39 AM   #7
Harvey
Admiral

The Sound of Her Voice has a time-travel element, though, personally, I think it's the weakest part of the episode.

I'll second the recommendation of Twelve Monkeys, as long as I also get the chance to plug Chris Marker's original short La Jetée which the film is based upon.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 07:51 AM   #8
Admiral Shran
Admiral

I don't mind the Back to the Future kind of stories, either... it's just that I find them too paradoxical.
The Back to the Future movies are among my all-time favorites. And their paradoxical nature is all part of their charm.
Old February 6 2010, 08:04 AM   #9
RegFan
Commodore

I agree. I like time-travel better if it's like in Time's Arrow. It's one of the few time-travel episodes/films that don't seem illogical. They could at least acknowledge the paradox more often or just explain time-travel always happens to an alternate universe.

I also agree with the OP.
RegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 05:02 PM   #10
hg99076
Ensign

apologies

Last edited by Hoser; February 7 2010 at 04:34 AM.
hg99076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 01:37 AM   #11
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

I enjoyed the time travel episodes in DS9...they seemed to be more than just 'temporal anomalies of the week' episodes. As for time travel itself, I find the idea of changing the timeline plausible, but in just about every sci-fi alteration of history, the characters REMEMBER that they've changed history...that I find annoying and illogical.
I also like that DS9's time travel episodes seem to use less technobabble then say, Voyager's or Enterprise's...almost like in DS9 they just happen to travel back in time and accept it. It's a simpler story device that way.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 04:14 AM   #12
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

hg99076 wrote: View Post
I warned you for this crap in another thread. Please stop now - zero tolerance for this shit from now on.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Mr. Scott
Commander

Like it or not, time travel is a part of the Trek Universe. In the Trek Universe, it is common knowledge how to go back in time, just slingshot your ship around the sun at Warp 9 and you will end up back in time. However, going back in time is illegal and not allowed due to the changing of the timelines.

I agree, they went to the well to many times with the time travel theme, but time travel is a part of the show.
Mr. Scott is offline   Reply With Quote