Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 9 2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Alex1939
Captain

Helix - Ron Moore

I'm sure there is a thread here but damned if I can find it.

I'm really excited for this show. I'm all about this winter viral infection setting being done by Ron Moore.

Are people excited for this and if not, why? I know there are some BSG fans here.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 02:39 AM   #2
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: Helix - Ron Moore

There's a 15 minute clip up on the syfy website. It looks interesting enough to give it a look.

I'm not sure how the theme can be dragged out enough to be a good series.
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 02:42 AM   #3
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Thought the 15 min clip was good, though so far Im finding it familiar to 15 other projects out there.

RAMA
Old January 9 2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Harvey
Admiral

The premise interests me little, but the early reviews have been good and Moore has a proven track record of producing interesting shows, even if none have been as good as his remake of Battlestar Galactica. I'll see it at some point.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Shatinator
Commander

So I watched the preview of 15 minutes and what I can say -- some may be considered as Spoilers...

... The man in charged that we see first "Mr. Hitaki", I believe, seems to be the Big Baddie, with a unknown / unspecified agenda. The main character, Alan Farragut I did not like at first, but he grew on me as the preview progressed. I appreciated his quirks of forgetting where he places things and his dark sense of humor (vile of cholera). The old meme of the under-appreciated under study / assistant who has a "secret" crush Sarah Jordan, works for what it's worth. The helicopter ride was some very good compressed writing of character, you see all you need to know from the principles. The assistant Sarah Jordan who wants to be the Alan Farragut's next significant, his x wife Julie Walker (which looks similar to Michelle Forbes to me), the cynical and spunkie blond CDC representative Doreen Boyle, which is the political voice of the show, based on some of what she says.

So as a thriller this works well, with the creative forces of Nu-BSG, LOST and Contact, the experience is present. The evolution of the series seems to be placing it's trajectory towards a zombie-seaque terrain of the The Walking Dead or the like. Some of what is hinted at also suggest a similar take to Threshold the canceled Braga show, which was actually quite good.

Listening to Ron Moore talk about the show, and possibly address the question posed by Ar-Pharazon he describes the 13 episodes of the 1st season will tell a story of each day in the Arctic facility, by that alone I think it could have staying power. He also commented / acknowledged their are similarities to this series and Nu-BSG episode "33".

One of the most interesting concepts, if explored correctly is that the infected don't just die, they change are altered, if you will. Also the infection is always mutating, so the team seem to be always a step behind in keeping up with the infection (another similarity to Nu-BSG). And of course their is a unrevealed larger story yet to unfold. Their may be a interactive portion of the show to becoming called all access - we'll wait and see for that Lastly,...Jeri Ryan is in this too. (Can't hurt).

i think I'll hunt it down on demand, if you'll excuse me I have some geeking to do
Old January 9 2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

OK, if it's 1 day per episode, it could certainly go a while if the writing is good.
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 08:00 PM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

GIMME AN R...O...C...K...

(oops, sorry, wrong Helix)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 04:38 PM   #8
jayceee
Commander

First episode was kinda boring.

Will watch the next few episodes to determine whether to continue watching this show.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 04:56 PM   #9
sojourner
Admiral

Ah, so it's another "single mystery per season" show. The first episode was good. It builds tension and leaves enough hooks to want to see the next episode.

There are a couple hints in there that "deadly virus" may not have been the goal of the project. It'll be interesting to see where they take it.
Old January 11 2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Watched the first two episodes plus the third episode on demand. Looks to be a pretty decent thriller show, lots of secrets, reveals, betrayals etc. and it moves briskly. It also does a good job with the creepy scares and atmosphere.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 10:59 PM   #11
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Pass. I've already seen Andromeda Strain and 28 Days Later.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 12:22 AM   #12
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Yes, it also felt like The Thing and an episode of the X-Files without Scully & Mulder.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 12:31 AM   #13
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Yes, it also felt like The Thing and an episode of the X-Files without Scully & Mulder.
I remember that episode. It had the little rage worms and Jeff Kober was in it.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 02:25 AM   #14
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

I saw the first three episodes and I like what I've seen. I don't understand why inspirations such as 28 Days Later, The Thing and other germophobia stories are such a no-no among some...
I like that the story takes place in a confined area, in a Massive Dynamic like compound. I'll be "tuning in"...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 08:15 AM   #15
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The pilot was free on iTunes and I gave it a watch solely out of loyalty to Ron Moore. I don't believe he had much to do with the pilot, which is good because the pilot is fairly uninspiring. There's an interesting premise, sure, but one that's been done many times before. The dialogue is pretty terrible and the acting is hit and miss. Jordan is completely unbelievable as a doctor and is the weakest link in the cast, but I didn't think much of the military guy, either.

I'm going to check out the next two over the week, but it's because of Moore and the other big sci-fi writers, Steven Maeda and Javier Grillo-Marxuach, that are on the show as opposed to anything I saw.

I should say that the direction was quite good and the frozen monkeys was quite a sight.

Edit: Said Walker when I meant Jordan.

Last edited by sidious618; January 12 2014 at 08:26 AM.
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote