IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 23 2014, 08:57 PM   #1
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant

Who has the most realistic 'future'?

When you think about the future, which television show, movie, and/or book is the most realistic? Why?

I think, when we come into contact with aliens, it will be like District 9. First, we'll probably be scared of them and then, if they don't go all Independence Day on us, we'll round them up and mistreat them.
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 09:09 PM   #2
ISP Zombie
Commodore

View ISP Zombie's Twitter Profile
Re: Who does it best?

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post
When you think about the future, which television show, movie, and/or book is the most realistic? Why?

I think, when we come into contact with aliens, it will be like District 9. First, we'll probably be scared of them and then, if they don't go all Independence Day on us, we'll round them up and mistreat them.
Yea that movie is a pretty good portrayal of what would happen.

I'd say 1984. That book (and the movie for that matter) showed how governments react to people if they try to learn, either by books or other methods. They'll do their best to keep the people in the dark.
Old February 23 2014, 10:19 PM   #3
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

I think this would be better suited for the science fiction/fantasy forum than general TV/Media.
antichristhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Futurama

We have all this cool technology, but it hasn't changed our basic nature. We're still selfish, petty, drunken, lazy slobs...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 10:54 PM   #5
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: Who has the most realistic 'future'?

Moved to SF/F.

I don't agree about 1984 - that was a book written about the time in which it was written and has so far proved a poor imitation of our actual future (far from the control of knowledge, we now live in a world where there is so much of it it is hard to filter or critically analyse and we are immune to scandal and political dissent because of overexposure - much closer to Brave New World)
Old February 23 2014, 11:15 PM   #6
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Star Trek, as Earth is largely portrayed. The future's only gotten better and better with each passing century. Don't see any reason that's going to change, especially if we ever develop a means of nearly infinite clean energy and the ability to replicate/produce food for everyone.

At worst, overpopulation will be a problem.
Old February 23 2014, 11:52 PM   #7
sojourner
Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post

At worst, overpopulation will be a problem.
A really big problem that can lead to war, ecological collapse, and famine to name a few. World population is already too high to support a standard of living for everyone as practiced by citizens of most western countries.
Old February 24 2014, 12:23 AM   #8
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

I think Demolition Man looked at the future realistically. They ditched the flying cars for top of the line cars, corporate buyouts, and a sub class living in poverty.

Last edited by bigboojeg; February 24 2014 at 12:42 AM.
bigboojeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 12:28 AM   #9
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Almost Human does a good job of extrapolating current technological trends and developments and also their impact on general life.

What we see on the show are things currently in the development stage at various companies and universities and given the 30+ years in the future i expect to see some things in real life.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 12:43 AM   #10
RAMA
Vice Admiral

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post

I think it's the reverse, if we encounter aliens they will likely be much more advanced than us. District 9 is a pretty good parable, but not realistic.
Old February 24 2014, 12:47 AM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

District 9 just has the roles reversed.
Old February 24 2014, 12:47 AM   #12
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Minority Report minus the precog stuff.
Old February 24 2014, 12:57 AM   #13
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The most all-encompassing realistic future, unfortunately(?) is probably the Matrix. Great misery is had by the human race before there is a truce. Most other speculative futures in visual SF only look at small aspects of it, Matrix takes into account the whole. Some of it's most important speculations: Strong AI equivalent of humanity; AI superseding humanity; AI re-creating man in a simulacrum of society; humanity and AI making "peace" to develop on it's own.

Two solutions to the Matrix: Transcendent humanity must supercede machine-only AI ahead of time. Or, like in the movie universe, if humanity must fight, going retro isn't the only way, humanity must become transhuman, and then develop it's own counter AI.

I like Almost Human, Continuum, they include plausible aspects of the future, but in order to tell a story they ignore many implications their world building postulates. Almost Human plays it particularly safe despite the narration stating law enforcement can't cope with future technological expansion. Person of Interest has an interesting AI, I'm curious where it goes.

RAMA
Old February 24 2014, 01:01 AM   #14
DWF
Vice Admiral

Robocop, look at the state of Detroit now.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 01:05 AM   #15
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Brave New World. We'll become more shallow, self absorbed, more eager to control different "classes" of people.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote