MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old November 26 2009, 07:00 PM   #1
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic
So how did earth know where to put the ramp?

Think about it, They had no idea where a normal stargate was positioned in the pedistals when they first got their gate. Not counting earnest littlefield, the first time we got a look at the other side of a gate wormhole was Abydos. How did they know how to position the ramp and walkway so perfectly so that you could just step thru?

XD
Old November 26 2009, 07:11 PM   #2
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: So how did earth know where to put the ramp?

Because the chevrons are only on one side of the gate? And after what happened to Ernest I do think they knew where to put the ramp.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old November 26 2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Kpnuts
Commodore

Are we talking which 360 degree angle so the point of origin lines up at the top? (a good point if that's what you meant)

Or are we talking which side, the front or the back (a stupid question if that's what you meant)
Old November 26 2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Technobuilder
Commodore

I thought he was talking about the area at the base of the wormhole that is usually underground or within a base structure of an off world gate.

How did the Earth guys know to position that ramp in such a way that no one stubbed their toes? I personally would have guessed that the entire diameter of the inner ring would provide both transport as well as obliterate anything in it's path when formed, but from what we've see, the Kawoosh is smaller than the inner ring by at least a foot.

Realistically the reason is that explaining it in dialogue would have been pointless to the plot and boring for the audience overall.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Old November 26 2009, 08:11 PM   #5
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I thought he was talking about the area at the base of the wormhole that is usually underground or within a base structure of an off world gate.

How did the Earth guys know to position that ramp in such a way that no one stubbed their toes? I personally would have guessed that the entire diameter of the inner ring would provide both transport as well as obliterate anything in it's path when formed, but from what we've see, the Kawoosh is smaller than the inner ring by at least a foot.

Realistically the reason is that explaining it in dialogue would have been pointless to the plot and boring for the audience overall.
This. Lol. just something I questioned when I thought about it.

It would have been a shame if their first malp impacted on the gate's pedistal the first time they sent one thru.

Are we talking which 360 degree angle so the point of origin lines up at the top? (a good point if that's what you meant)
Thats a whole other question. Other than dialing it up, how would they have even known which chevron would have been the top one? Only the top one locks, but youd have to power the gate and dial a coordinate to tell which chevron actually moved.
Old November 26 2009, 09:09 PM   #6
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Maybe the stargate is self-regulating -- whichever chevron is recognized by the hardware as "on top" becomes the "dominant" chevron. (Wankery, I know...)

The thing that I've always wondered about is why the walkway doesn't vaporize at the point of the event horizon... and why all those stargates buried up to that same point don't scoop out a chunk of dirt.

It's a damned cool prop, but in realistic terms, the physics of it -- I mean the actual physics of where the whoosh goes and the creation of the wormhole -- should cause real issues with setting it up on any flat platform.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
Old November 27 2009, 02:43 AM   #7
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Actually, the SGC ramp and walkway has a partition in it right where the gate is, to be lowered and raised into position. So the wormhole wouldnt "cut" the ramp bits.

No idea about the offworld pedistals tho. Only reason they dont get vaped is the kawoosh doesnt actually seem to hit that low.

And Yeah, I thought about the possibility that whichver chevron is at the top takes top priority. That actually sounds plausable, knowing the ancients.
Old November 27 2009, 04:38 AM   #8
DWF
Vice Admiral

P0sitr0nic wrote: View Post
Actually, the SGC ramp and walkway has a partition in it right where the gate is, to be lowered and raised into position. So the wormhole wouldnt "cut" the ramp bits.
It's supposed to be that way, however in reality the ramp goes clean though the gate as does the floor on Atlantis.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old November 27 2009, 06:13 AM   #9
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

P0sitr0nic wrote: View Post

No idea about the offworld pedistals tho. Only reason they dont get vaped is the kawoosh doesnt actually seem to hit that low.

And Yeah, I thought about the possibility that whichver chevron is at the top takes top priority. That actually sounds plausable, knowing the ancients.
Yeah, it wouldn't take anything sophisticated to detect the orientation of the gate. Considering how easily we can do it (gyros), it would've been no trouble for the Ancients.
My blog
Old November 28 2009, 07:25 AM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

AJBryant wrote: View Post
... and why all those stargates buried up to that same point don't scoop out a chunk of dirt.
That got me thinking about water, the stargate is in the middle of a crater of sand a hundred yards across, the gate is about 50 - 60 feet below the general level of the desert. Why wasn't the gate buried? Was the gate keeping itself clear?

T
Old November 29 2009, 11:33 AM   #11
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Maybe the stargate is self-regulating -- whichever chevron is recognized by the hardware as "on top" becomes the "dominant" chevron. (Wankery, I know...)
Does this mean you also couldn't pull a practical joke on someone by turning the receiving Gate upside down?

And what about when the departure Gate is horizontal & the arrival Gate is vertical? Even if the arrival gate somehow corrects for the orientation of the departing person, what would happen if 2 people jumped through the horizontal Gate simultaneously from opposite ends of the ring?
Old November 30 2009, 12:37 AM   #12
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Does this mean you also couldn't pull a practical joke on someone by turning the receiving Gate upside down?

And what about when the departure Gate is horizontal & the arrival Gate is vertical? Even if the arrival gate somehow corrects for the orientation of the departing person, what would happen if 2 people jumped through the horizontal Gate simultaneously from opposite ends of the ring?
Ouch time. We saw Carter jump into a vertical gate. She came out the SGC gate at a screaming speed, rather high up in the wormhole.
Old December 9 2009, 05:42 AM   #13
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^Which episode was that?
Old December 9 2009, 06:19 AM   #14
cylkoth
Commodore

^^I think it was the second Aschen episode, the one with the harvesters....the Earth ambassador sacrifices himself and remains aboard the harvester as Sam cuts the rope and falls into the stargate which was horizontal.
Old December 9 2009, 12:39 PM   #15
Jax
Admiral

Q. So how did earth know where to put the ramp?

A. Google

sometimes its so simple